Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help instaling a Hypercharger needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Cypunk
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help instaling a Hypercharger needed

I am new to this Forum and sometimes my T9 makes funny typos, because i have a German PC.

As present i got a Küryakyn Hypercharger and now i want to install this on my 2002 sportster 883 Custom.
I have Troubes with the vacuum hose, i have the Installation manual and i Understand that the vacuum Hose is on the backside of the carb. To insert the T i have to remove the carb from the manifold, on the left side of the carb there is a Hose with a metalring. Do i realy have to remove the whole carb and the vacuum hose is the only Hose on the backside of the carb?

Does somebody have some pictures? The installationmanual is Petty clear in the other points, but this gives me troubles. Sure, also my lack of English is a problem, thats why pictures would be good!

Many thanks

Old 04-15-2015, 03:30 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

The vacuum hose you're looking for runs from the backside of the carb to the gas tank petcock (fuel shutoff valve). It may be easier to remove the tank (2 bolts) than pulling off the carb.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:21 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Agreed. I would lift or remove the tank, allowing access to the vacuum line.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:25 AM
Cypunk
6th Gear

Many thanks. I am always worried when playing around with hoses, normaly there is always one leaking afterwards...

Old 04-16-2015, 01:36 PM
Cypunk
6th Gear

Today i have installed the Hypercharger and it looks Great! But i still have a Problem with the vacuum hose, as mentioned in the installationguide i have created a "T" and connected the vacuumhose on one side, the carb on the other side and on the last side the Hypercharger. When i start the engine it runs until the carb is emtpy.
There is only one possibility to connect the vacuum hose on the Hypercharger, the notch wich is Looking donwside. But it makes me wonder, because there is one black Screwable notch left which is not described in the Installation manual.

Is there anything i have to adjust on the carb? The Engine is running but i would Love to see the butterflies working.....

Forgott to say: butterflies are working until carb is empty

Old 04-16-2015, 02:26 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like your loosing vacuum to your petcock.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:55 PM
Sw1
Road Captain
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

agreed, I looked over the instructions and it looks like a simple tee with no check valves. so if you are getting vacuum to the charger it sounds like the petcock is not. Go back and check all connections, I would see if you can feel vacuum at the hose going to the petcock while running if possible.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:41 PM
Cypunk
6th Gear

I am pretty sure it's the Charger, there is a srew in backside of the charger but the function is nowhere mentioned. Does anybody what this good for?

When the hose is disconnected i can feel and hear the vacuum. Seems like the Charger is leaking...

One more thing, when i unplug the hose from the charger and press my finger at the end it's also not working!

Last edited by Cypunk; 04-16-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:24 PM
Cypunk
6th Gear

Today i made another try, I connected a hose to the charger and tried to move the butterflies with my mouth and it was impossible... So I think it needs more pressure to close the butterflies instead of sucking out gas from the tank. Is there a way to make them close easier??

Old 04-17-2015, 05:38 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,136 Posts

Originally Posted by Cypunk
Today i made another try, I connected a hose to the charger and tried to move the butterflies with my mouth and it was impossible... So I think it needs more pressure to close the butterflies instead of sucking out gas from the tank. Is there a way to make them close easier??
Nothing gets sucked out of the tank, the vacuum line only turns the petcock "on" so gas flows, using a small diaphragm valve inside the petcock. Gas flows by gravity into the carburetor.

Have you emailed the manufacturer and ask them about it? How about looking for instructions online? Do the butterflies close at idle, and open when on the throttle? Do you have access to a handheld vacuum/fuel pump tester?

Good luck.

John

Quick Reply: Help instaling a Hypercharger needed