Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 883R Back From The Shop!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:45 PM
pwnzilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 883R Back From The Shop!

Aaaaaargh! - Took my bike out for a ride today, the first time out since I got it back from the dealer (it had an oil leak from the factory if you haven't read my other thread). Tomorrow I'm cracking skulls, this bike is cursed I swear. I have had this bike in my possession for a total for 2.5 days.

The engine light will come on and go back out in about 30sec-1min intervals, the throttle sticks and/or doesn't respond which nearly wrecked me twice. It chews through gas, I went 60 miles on a full tank and when I was just leaving my dummy light came on, and the tank was dry. The throttle will somtimes respond and other times just twist and it does nothing or be on a 2sec delay so it jerks the shît out of you.

I had it just die on me 4 times and had to fight to get it started back up, while cruising at 5mph at lights and such. Sitting at an intersection, rev it up to move and bleh dead again. Taking a corner at about 10mph it starts to die and I goose it a bit, nothing happens, then about 5 sec later the throttle got stuck and I had pull the clutch and hit the kill switch so the motor didn't hit rev-limiter and I waited for the egine to idle back down and hit the run switch to keep it ideling. I noticed after I filled it up with gas to get back home that it was blowing black smoke at idle. I wouldn't have ridden it at all after I noticed it being weird but I thought it may have had some old/bad gas so I toughed through it, but then after it kept on doing all this shît after 2 new tanks of gas all I wanted to do was limp it home.

This bike is dangerous with all these problems today paired with the oil leak last week, I am demanding a new bike, this is an '07 brand new 883R I didn't pay 8 grand for some fùcking lemon, needless to say I am fùcking pissed!

Old 04-29-2007, 10:51 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: '07 883R going back to the shop again!!!

Make them give you a new bike. All those problems are bu**sh**. No excuse!

Old 04-29-2007, 11:00 PM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

So here's a short summary of all it's issues:

Throttle is delayed
Throttle does not respond at all
Throttle sticks and causes high revs
Throttle is delayed at cruising/highway speeds
Does not have proper power
Bike will quit at low speeds
Bike after quitting will not start
Once engine quits it clatters while rolling to a stop
Blows black smoke at idle
Idling is surging high and low
Engine light goes on and off or stays on for extended periods of time
Does not run at proper mpg - gas light after 70 miles on full tank

Old 04-29-2007, 11:23 PM
shiyfire
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If these problems started after it was worked on to fix the oil leak, sounds like the mechanic made a boo-boo.It happens .Iwould look at all electrical / sensor connections if it were me or just take it back to them.I am an automotive mechanic but i tinker with cycles and ATV's a little and i really hate having someone else working on my stuff...

Old 04-29-2007, 11:33 PM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

I know it's a fixable issue, but it's the fact that this is a brand new bike and it's already had 2 semi-major problems, so I don't feel as though I got the new bike that I paid for. In addition to that this problem could have caused some long term damage which is what I'm most affraid of.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:40 PM
xor13
Tourer

Sorry to read about your problems, good luck getting them resolved favorably.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:18 PM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

Just talked with the dealer and they're are very aware that I am not happy. They are coming to pick it up today and they want to "fix it" but that's not happening, I will fight for a new bike and go straight to Harley Davidson main offices if need be. I looked up the NY and PA lemon laws and it states that the vehicle has to be out of service for 30 or more days or has had the problem attempted to be fixed four times for a single issue, if you meet these requirments the lemon law demands a refund.

With the oil issue they used up 6 days so they have 24 more before the law comes into play, but just knowing these laws may scare them into a refund or replacment when I threaten legal action.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:19 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I bet their going to use the lemon law to protect themselves, they will string it out till it has been 30 days/4 attempts to fix a single item before they even start talking about a replacement or refund. I think shifire is probibly right that the mechanic unpluged something or repluged two connectors into the wrong spot. I would try to be as pleasant as possible (I know it's hard) and give them this one last try to get it right, then if you still have problems take it to another dealer, if they can't get it right it will give you more power with the lemon law thing that more than one dealer tried and was unable to fix it. Just a note, in our business (RV's) we do try harder to take care of the "nice guys" than the loudmouths that are ranting & raving at the service desk. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Zeb
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pwnzilla

Aaaaaargh! - Took my bike out for a ride today, the first time out since I got it back from the dealer (it had an oil leak from the factory if you haven't read my other thread). Tomorrow I'm cracking skulls, this bike is cursed I swear. I have had this bike in my possession for a total for 2.5 days.

The engine light will come on and go back out in about 30sec-1min intervals, the throttle sticks and/or doesn't respond which nearly wrecked me twice. It chews through gas, I went 60 miles on a full tank and when I was just leaving my dummy light came on, and the tank was dry. The throttle will somtimes respond and other times just twist and it does nothing or be on a 2sec delay so it jerks the shît out of you.

I had it just die on me 4 times and had to fight to get it started back up, while cruising at 5mph at lights and such. Sitting at an intersection, rev it up to move and bleh dead again. Taking a corner at about 10mph it starts to die and I goose it a bit, nothing happens, then about 5 sec later the throttle got stuck and I had pull the clutch and hit the kill switch so the motor didn't hit rev-limiter and I waited for the egine to idle back down and hit the run switch to keep it ideling. I noticed after I filled it up with gas to get back home that it was blowing black smoke at idle. I wouldn't have ridden it at all after I noticed it being weird but I thought it may have had some old/bad gas so I toughed through it, but then after it kept on doing all this shît after 2 new tanks of gas all I wanted to do was limp it home.

This bike is dangerous with all these problems today paired with the oil leak last week, I am demanding a new bike, this is an '07 brand new 883R I didn't pay 8 grand for some fùcking lemon, needless to say I am fùcking pissed!
I would take it back and get my money back and look for a good used one somewhere.

Sometimes the best way to buy a bike or a car is just after the previous owner got all the bugs out of it.

'Sounds like you may havegot a real lemon.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:34 AM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

Well after negotiations I took the bike back under the conditions that I'll drive it for a week and if there any problems or I'm still not 100% happy then they are going to try and get me a new bike. I have been riding it everyday and so far everything is perfect, so I think I am going to keep this bike mostly because if I get a new one, it may have the same oil leak problem or other problems from the factory, and this one has already been fixed and been tested thoroughly.

The problem with the engine/throttle this time was in the wiring harness, they told me that some of the wires were never crimped at the factoy and when they were in fixing the oil leak they probably agrovated them looser. Thats why my engine light was flashing, I would hit a bump and it would contact then fall out and so on. So the loose wires were making my ECU go crazy bannanas. They replaced the whole harness, problem solved.

I'll post again with updates, hopefully there aren't any more...

Quick Reply: '07 883R Back From The Shop!