Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883 carb question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 05:46 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,667 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Originally Posted by stephtell
Thanks for the Keihin advice, will go look for one! Will it fit on the original manifold or does that need changing as well?
I don't think it will fit the 1987 manifold. The mounting flanges have the same part number as 1988 up, so all you should need is a 1988 up manifold. You can look up the parts on Ronnie's HD website. Click the microfiche tab on the home page and look up the parts you need. Then, search Ebay, probably lots of them out there.

Perhaps Hammer Performance, NRHS, or CV Performance can help out, or maybe one of our members has one laying around. They look to be about $90 from Ronnie's for a new one.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 01-12-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:50 PM
T D
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by grbrown
TD, a fellow Keihin owner here, for many years. I never had any icing problems on any of my Harleys, including the previous Bendix, so I'm intrigued that you seem to have. Were you modifying yours a lot?
At the time, there was a Supertrapp exhaust on her but nothing else.
I followed a thread on the HDRofGB, and the general consensus of opinion was fit the Mikuni. Yes some had different ideas about how to cure the issue, and it seemed to work for them. The one thing that convinced me, was somebodies idea as why it actually happened, eg:-sticking out to far, because it made total sense.
Next time I had a few bob spare, I ordered a Mikuni, and I haven't looked back since. A great conversion in my opinion.

TD

Old 01-15-2016, 03:52 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by T D
At the time, there was a Supertrapp exhaust on her but nothing else.
I followed a thread on the HDRofGB, and the general consensus of opinion was fit the Mikuni. Yes some had different ideas about how to cure the issue, and it seemed to work for them. The one thing that convinced me, was somebodies idea as why it actually happened, eg:-sticking out to far, because it made total sense.
Next time I had a few bob spare, I ordered a Mikuni, and I haven't looked back since. A great conversion in my opinion.

TD
Unfortunately that doesn't make sense TD! The only bike I've owned over the last 40+ years that occasionally suffered from icing carbs was a BSA Rocket 3, which I owned from new and was unmodified. The three carbs were tucked up toasty warm and sheltered by the cylinders. In addition there are well over a million Harleys with the c/v Keihin carb and we don't see any threads on HDF about carb icing! In other words there was something unusual about your bike that caused the problem. If changing the carb cured things that is obviously great, however the Keihin itself was not the cause.

Historically carb icing was a common problem and if you peer under the bonnet of classic cars you will see that many of them have the carb and exhaust on the same side of the engine, often with the carb in direct contact with the exhaust manifold. That is to heat it up, to ward off icing, despite the fact that the carb is out of any direct air flow, tucked away under the bonnet. For our North American cousins, the bonnet covers the engine!

All carbs (and fuel injector bodies) are a venturi. That is to say they have a throat which is smaller in diameter than the opening where the air is first drawn in. The venturi accelerates the incoming air, increasing velocity and creating a partial vacuum, which on carbs is used to draw fuel or air/fuel into the engine. The increased velocity can also lower temperatures, reducing the dew point in the incoming air, causing icing of the jet(s) in the venturi, which can obviously reduce fuel flow, even stop the engine. In the case of my BSA, I eventually learned to stop for ten minutes, after which it would happily start again, as heat soak had dissolved the ice. Icing only occurred in very cold weather, well below freezing point.

In short, there was some aspect of your bike, probably various mods done to it, which created the circumstance in which it became more susceptible to icing. Nothing to do with the carb sticking out!

Last edited by grbrown; 01-15-2016 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:00 PM
T D
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool

Well I don't know any of that coz I'm a bear of little brain.
The only mod on the bike at that time was, as I've said, the Supertrapp exhaust.
I would think that there is more chance of carb icing over here than the States, so that probably why there are no posts on it on HDF.
So my mail might not make sense, but it's what happened to me in this country.
Like I've said, it's a great conversion and it works for me.

TD