Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 06:26 PM
kyle76
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster Tire Pressure

I just noticed the sticker on my bike says the front tire should be 30 PSI, but the tire itself says max psi 40. It's the original tire. It's the 21" incher with the thin white wall.

What psi should I be using for maximum performance?

Old 01-16-2016, 06:34 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle76
I just noticed the sticker on my bike says the front tire should be 30 PSI, but the tire itself says max psi 40. It's the original tire. It's the 21" incher with the thin white wall.

As it says, 40 psi is the max you should be putting in. I use 30-32 psi in front and 36 psi in rear (pretty much all the time solo riding).

Old 01-17-2016, 12:53 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

The max pressure isn't for maximum performance, it's for maximum weight. Harley manuals assume 180 pounds of rider weight, I believe. So if you're about that, I'd run 30 psi. If you're heavier than that or you're carrying something, I'd run more. I wouldn't run less. And don't run over 40.

The following users liked this post:
Marsikus (10-18-2019)
Old 01-17-2016, 02:05 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

I would follow the tire. A tire dealer on here recommended pressure be kept on the higher side. Even the dealership said to use 38 front and back. I use 38-40 front and back, but my max is higher than yours and I have saddlebags with stuff in it.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Exclamation

Here we go again - this is a 'problem' across HDF! The words on the side of the tyre should be ignored as being misleading, unless you plan on riding your bike at its max permissible weight. Unfortunately tyre pressures and rider/passenger weight has been a weak point on Harleys in all the 40+ years that I've ridden them. The factory owners manual does a poor job in providing advice and guidelines. Fortunately those words on the sidewall are a US regulation only, which means that the rest of us can indeed forget them!

The weights in the manual should be considered a guide or starting point, that's all! Also, if changing tyre brand then ignore the manual, as well as the words on the tyre, and check that brand's website for recommended pressures, as not all brands are the same.

If you are of average weight, as mentioned by JustOneDean, then the owner's manual pressures should be reasonably close. There is no reason why you should not adjust them a little, for your personal preference. Personally I prefer mine slightly higher, which seems to give me better feel and tyre life. Especially if you are significantly heavier then increase pressures, by several psi if necessary - you be the judge!

Last edited by grbrown; 01-17-2016 at 07:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by grbrown:
apache snow (06-02-2019), MikeBel (02-19-2021)
Old 01-17-2016, 12:02 PM
kyle76
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first bike was a V Star 650 and the sticker actually gave two different values for each tire based on how much weight was on the bike.

Originally Posted by grbrown
Here we go again - this is a 'problem' across HDF! The words on the side of the tyre should be ignored as being misleading, unless you plan on riding your bike at its max permissible weight. Unfortunately tyre pressures and rider/passenger weight has been a weak point on Harleys in all the 40+ years that I've ridden them. The factory owners manual does a poor job in providing advice and guidelines. Fortunately those words on the sidewall are a US regulation only, which means that the rest of us can indeed forget them!

The weights in the manual should be considered a guide or starting point, that's all! Also, if changing tyre brand then ignore the manual, as well as the words on the tyre, and check that brand's website for recommended pressures, as not all brands are the same.

If you are of average weight, as mentioned by JustOneDean, then the owner's manual pressures should be reasonably close. There is no reason why you should not adjust them a little, for your personal preference. Personally I prefer mine slightly higher, which seems to give me better feel and tyre life. Especially if you are significantly heavier then increase pressures, by several psi if necessary - you be the judge!

Old 01-17-2016, 12:45 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Thumbs up

My first bike was a V Star 650 and the sticker actually gave two different values for each tire based on how much weight was on the bike.
Round of applause for Yamaha! All the other brands of bikes I've owned over the last 40+ years also give guidelines for carrying extra loads, such as a passenger or luggage. The nature of the advice varies quite a bit, something we could do with an industry standard on. Harley's lack of advice is useless!

I prefer Avons on my Glide, which use higher pressures than stock tyres, so I use 38F/44R on MT tyres, up to 44F/50R, when we're 2-up and loaded for the grand tour. I have derived those numbers based on guidelines from other brands, plus the tyre makers, spiced up with a bit of experience.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:29 AM
Joshua Whaley
Stage I
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tire pressure

You should always go off of what the sticker on the bike says not the tires

The following 2 users liked this post by Joshua Whaley:
apache snow (06-02-2019), TimmyPage (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Guppy916
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I run 30 psi front and 36 psi in the rear on my 883 sporty no passengers or baggage that's what the Haynes manual recommends

Old 06-04-2019, 02:28 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Don't worry about 40 max. You could go well over 40psi, and not risk a blowout. The problem is ride, performance, tread wear, etc...

Do what's comfortable for you without being squishy, or riding like it's got a steel wheel.

Personally I like mine with a bit more pressure so I can "feel" things. I run 38 up front, 36 or so in the back.

Quick Reply: Sportster Tire Pressure