Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decent lift for the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 09:52 AM
weever82
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Decent lift for the bike?

Looking for a reasonably priced lift to do general maintenance and repairs for my Harley 48.

What are you guys using? Seen a few at Sears (Craftsman ones for like $180) dunno if junk or not.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...2&blockType=G2

I can't afford $1k for a lift... maybe $2-300 bucks.

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2016, 10:01 AM
19Sparrow87
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My buddy uses a Harbor Freight foot pump lift for his Softail and has no issues. More manual labor to lift it over a pneumatic but it works on a budget. He rebuilt his bike on it so yes it does hold up to abuse.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:35 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Check this thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ycle-lift.html

Seems one of the better jacks is J&S but it is about $500...well worth the money if you plan to use it often or store the bike on the jack.

I use a Titan MPJ1500 mainly because it is low profile and decently priced. Basically same features as the J&S, Craftsman, HF jacks

The following users liked this post:
weever82 (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 10:46 AM
weever82
Advanced

Thanks for the thread! Basically all the questions and answers I was looking for. I gotta start using the search button.

Originally Posted by hscic
Check this thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ycle-lift.html

Seems one of the better jacks is J&S but it is about $500...well worth the money if you plan to use it often or store the bike on the jack.

I use a Titan MPJ1500 mainly because it is low profile and decently priced. Basically same features as the J&S, Craftsman, HF jacks

Old 06-06-2016, 12:33 PM
nathan-hd48
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I actually have that jack for my 48. It's great. Works well with the bike. Keeps it tight and steady. Also, the jack itself is super lightweight so when you're finished your project just literally pick it up and move it. I use it on a concrete garage floor and rolls well on that.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:06 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by weever82
Thanks for the thread! Basically all the questions and answers I was looking for. I gotta start using the search button.
New member...you are excused..lol

Old 06-06-2016, 01:07 PM
weever82
Advanced

Originally Posted by nathan-hd48
I actually have that jack for my 48. It's great. Works well with the bike. Keeps it tight and steady. Also, the jack itself is super lightweight so when you're finished your project just literally pick it up and move it. I use it on a concrete garage floor and rolls well on that.
Thats good to know! I was hoping not super heavy so I can store it somewhere in the garage out of the way. I will maybe use it 2-3x a year.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:28 PM
KCCO-Forty Eight
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan-hd48
Question for you then! I actually have both the Red and Yellow Pro Craftsman jacks. I bought the Yellow Pro first but was unable to get the bike up safely, either the jiffy stand got in the way or if I was able to find a spot it felt off balance once raised. I then went and picked up the cheaper Red jack and it seems to be better since it doesn't have the crossmember bar in the front of the jack like the Yellow one does. Is your bike stock height? Do you have any pics of it on the jack? I would much prefer to keep the Yellow Pro for the same reasons you mentioned but was going to return it today and just keep little red. Any help would greatly be appreciated and sorry for the hi-jack (awesome pun)

Old 06-06-2016, 03:56 PM
nathan-hd48
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by KCCO-Forty Eight
Question for you then! I actually have both the Red and Yellow Pro Craftsman jacks. I bought the Yellow Pro first but was unable to get the bike up safely, either the jiffy stand got in the way or if I was able to find a spot it felt off balance once raised. I then went and picked up the cheaper Red jack and it seems to be better since it doesn't have the crossmember bar in the front of the jack like the Yellow one does. Is your bike stock height? Do you have any pics of it on the jack? I would much prefer to keep the Yellow Pro for the same reasons you mentioned but was going to return it today and just keep little red. Any help would greatly be appreciated and sorry for the hi-jack (awesome pun)
Yes, it's stock height. I don't have pictures at the moment... and probably won't until the end of next month (I keep the bike out of state).

We were able to roll it under the bike easily enough. And we placed the rear strap over the bike where the tank and seat meet. The forward strap I wrapped through the triple tree once and then over the forward rocker. Once they were loosely in placed, we jacked it up about 12" or so. Then you need to let the jack down to a locking position (this may have been the step you missed). Once in the locked position on the jack, we tightened the straps the sucker was in place. It's also smart to lock the front up so if you accidentally bump the tire it doesn't move and shift the weight on the jack.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:24 AM
morleyz
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a J&S and I absolutely love it. I was more concerned about lifting my Ultra safely, but it works nicely with the Sporty too. It's not cheap, but seems worth the investment to me and I'm sure it will last as long as I'm riding.

Quick Reply: Decent lift for the bike?