Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake caliper removal on 99 sportster 1200 custom

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 09:28 PM
wmcduffy61@gmail.com
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear brake caliper removal on 99 sportster 1200 custom

I have both pins out and can get rear brake caliper 1/2 off but not any further. It has to be removed in order to replace brake pads. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Haven't had a chance to purchase owners manual yet but will definitely be doing so very soon. Thanks

Old 07-31-2016, 09:40 PM
Dake
Club Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Welcome from Georgia to the forum! What year is your bike that may help. I have just opened the caliper with a puddy knife and slid the new pads in because on mine a 03 you have remove the rear axle.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:01 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Try pushing the pistons in more with a larger flat head screwdriver to make more space between the brake pads so the caliper can slide out. Perhaps the brake pads are still getting caught on the rotor.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:32 AM
wmcduffy61@gmail.com
Intermediate

Thanks for the input will see if that works if I can get a screw driver in there. Will also try sliding a putty knife in there to maybe make the room needed for a screwdriver. Again thanks for your help much appreciated

Old 08-01-2016, 02:58 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by wmcduffy61@gmail.com
Thanks for the input will see if that works if I can get a screw driver in there. Will also try sliding a putty knife in there to maybe make the room needed for a screwdriver. Again thanks for your help much appreciated
If you still have issues, just remove the rear wheel and you will have a lot of room to work with and will not have the rotor in the way.

I just relocated and replaced my rear caliper to accept a larger rotor....It was so much easier without the rear tire.

After everything was installed, I also forgot the grease the pins on the floating caliper so removed the pin bolts and slid right off.

Last edited by hscic; 08-01-2016 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:22 AM
wmcduffy61@gmail.com
Intermediate

Ya I have the pins pulled but it would only slide 1/2 way then it's like something is holding from going any further. I don't have a bike jack yet so the tire removal is not an option at this time but will be adding 1 very soon as I don't like the hard concrete floor and having it off the ground would make life alot easier for sure. I will be trying the putty knife in the morning and hopefully that will give me the needed room to either slide the caliper off or to get a screwdriver in there to spread the caliper enough to remove it and complete the task at hand . Again thanks for the advice and other options to go with

Old 08-01-2016, 10:12 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Hope that works for you. Not familiar with a 99 but on newer models, brake pads can be changed without removing the caliper. You just need to remove the pad pin plug and pad pin and the pads will just drop out. There are several youtube videos on how to replace brake pads.

Not sure if you are familiar with brakes so just in case....you will need to pump the brakes a few times to re-engage the pistons after you install the new pads and the caliper is back in place.

Last edited by hscic; 08-01-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:43 PM
wmcduffy61@gmail.com
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hscic
Hope that works for you. Not familiar with a 99 but on newer models, brake pads can be changed without removing the caliper. You just need to remove the pad pin plug and pad pin and the pads will just drop out. There are several youtube videos on how to replace brake pads.

Not sure if you are familiar with brakes so just in case....you will need to pump the brakes a few times to re-engage the pistons after you install the new pads and the caliper is back in place.
... Unfortunately on mine the caliper has 2 pad pins that you pull and then the caliper should slide off like disk brakes on a car ( similar that is) I have to find a way to get the caliper compressed then it will slide off. The putty knife idea will hopefully move it enough to get a screw driver in far enough to clear the old pads and rotor then I will have it solved. Thanks for the help and tips I almost took it in to a shop but with your help and not to be a quitter it will be done in my own garage and not where I am paying somebody else to take care of my own ride. This is all part of riding and I figure if I am going to ride I am going to do the and repairs myself and with some advice and tips from good people such as yourself I will can eventually do it all. Thanks again for your time and allowing me to pick your brain. Have a great safe riding season

The following users liked this post:
hscic (08-02-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 01:06 AM
maverick31210
Road Captain
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

OP...can you post a pic of your caliper?

Old 08-04-2016, 05:21 AM
wmcduffy61@gmail.com
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maverick31210
OP...can you post a pic of your caliper?

This is the rear calioer

Quick Reply: Rear brake caliper removal on 99 sportster 1200 custom