Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel weights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 11:59 AM
Gil Aguilar
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Wheel weights?

So i just recently replaced my tires on my sportster 72 tires with some new stock ones. I noticed some adhesive on my rim when cleaning my bike. They removed my wheel weights and did not replace them w more. Wouldnt that be part of the tire change out? Putting new wherl weights on? And is it neccessary to have wheel weights on if not?

Old 04-20-2017, 12:12 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Unlikely, but did they use the clip on lead weights (where the tire meets the rim)?
Maybe they used DynaBeads?
Slim possibility that the tire didn't need balancing?
You should check with the tech that did the mounting.

If the tire was out of balance, you'd know it when riding.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:08 PM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

You might not notice it's out of balance below 70mph, but if you get it up to 80ish, you'll instantly know for sure. It's not likely they used dynabeads without charging you for them.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:11 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Gil Aguilar
So i just recently replaced my tires on my sportster 72 tires with some new stock ones. I noticed some adhesive on my rim when cleaning my bike. They removed my wheel weights and did not replace them w more. Wouldnt that be part of the tire change out? Putting new wherl weights on? And is it neccessary to have wheel weights on if not?
I had a shop mount tires and not balance them because I didn't have my rotors and belt pulley installed. I assume you have yours installed?

Old 04-20-2017, 02:17 PM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 928 Posts

Maybe a balance was not part of the price they gave you?
If you do get them balanced don't get the ugly weights that stick on the rim. Get the spoke weights. Much nicer.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:36 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

First question is did you pay for them to be balanced? I specifically tell my tire guy not to balance my wheels when he installs my Night Dragons; I use Ride On in the tubes for dynamic balancing and puncture protection; no wheel weights needed.

Use alcohol or Goo-Gone to clean the adhesive off the wheel; if they truly didn't balance the wheels sounds like a good time to try Ride On; this stuff works!

I grab it in a 3 bottle pack on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ride-On-Moto...JSeqMv&vxp=mtr

The dosage calculator; if you're using it for balancing and running tubes follow the severe dosage recommendation: http://www.ride-on.com/calculator.html

Ride On website: http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

The following 2 users liked this post by TinCupChalice:
aidoru (04-22-2017), cvaria (04-22-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Gil Aguilar
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TStephen
I had a shop mount tires and not balance them because I didn't have my rotors and belt pulley installed. I assume you have yours installed?
Yes the rotors and belt was on. I called my dealer up and they said they will put them on for free. I have noticed my riding is unbalanced as i ride. I take the highway everday to work so its noticable. But i also looked at my invoice/receipt and noticed that they did put they removed the wheel weights and reinstalled them. And also, thanks for the advice to take that adheisive gunk off! I was going to ask that question. Was wondering how im going to remove it w out scratching up the chrome!

Old 04-20-2017, 03:21 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Now I guess the biggest question is, how are they going to 'put them on'? They need to pull the wheels and balance them; make sure they do

Not the trusting sort when it comes to dealers, I always pull my wheels and take them in with the new tires; and to a Honda dealer, no less $25 each to mount including disposal fee, no sense me rasslin' with mounting tires at that price. I hope your dealer get's you squared away properly...

Old 04-22-2017, 02:10 PM
Gil Aguilar
Cruiser

These r whats on my back rim. These are spoke weights? Just the two. I remember them already being there plus the lead weights on my rim which are now gone.

The left over adhesive from my front rim, a

s it does have on the back as well.

And just this is in the front spoke

So in order to balance the tires they have to take the tires off? �� looks like imma be tgere all day lol

Old 04-22-2017, 05:29 PM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

I have just gone the dynamic balancing bead route when I lost two weights off the rear wheel. 20 minutes graft and you're done! 2 ounces in each wheel. Was pointless having the wheel pulled and rebalanced just for the weights to probably go AWOL again.

Quick Reply: Wheel weights?