Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do about my bent frame?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 05:11 AM
Road Chick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What should I do about my bent frame?

ORIGINAL: pococj

Did they give you a time on the frame delivery? Just curious.

The bike will probably be at the dealer for 6-8 weeks. They said it takes awhile to get the frame from HD..[:'(]

Old 01-24-2016, 07:03 PM
Gobob
Stage III
Default Pain in the frame

So I recently acquired a 68 iron head sportster from a good friend, After tearing it all done to go through it all I discovered the upper shock mounts don't line up and the 2 upright tubes have been molested by someone way back in the past. Now he has had this bike for 23 years. I remember it being like this when he first tore it down after he got it . It never affected the way the bike rode ,but it bugs me . Makes the seat and rear fender look crooked . I was thinking I could replace the 2 tubes and weld the new ones in. Any thoughts I know every old frame is tweaked but the repair looks like crap as do the welds.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John at www.framestraight.com in Knoxville uses a special digital 5 axis motorcycle frame rack that will take it back to zero tolerance. Half the price of a new frame from the factory.

He is the one that straightens out all the wrecked and twisted Moto GP bikes you see on TV.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:02 PM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bentwrench
John at www.framestraight.com in Knoxville uses a special digital 5 axis motorcycle frame rack that will take it back to zero tolerance. Half the price of a new frame from the factory.

He is the one that straightens out all the wrecked and twisted Moto GP bikes you see on TV.
I bought a bike from my nephew after he was run off the road and hit a culvert. It was obvious the front wheel did not line up with the rear so I took the tank off, sawed the tube nearly in two and with hydraulic jack and chain and a straight edge laid against the rear wheel reaching too the front for measuring, pulled the front wheel back in line with the rear. I then trailer-ed it to a weld shop and had it welded. Road it for years with no problem, sold it and as far as I know it's still going down the road.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:59 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I'd fix a bent Sportster frame by buying another Sportster, used. For what all that labor and parts would cost I can (at least here in Ohio) pick up an 883 2004-2006 for less than 4K. Less if I was willing to go back to 1999 or so. This is in the case of me having to pay for the repairs. If it's insurance then sky's the limit as far as I'd be concerned.

This next part is meant to be constructive; nothing else.

Depending on where and how the frame was bent and if it ran without wobble or oscillation; I'd fix the minimum and ride it until I was more experienced.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 01-25-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:47 AM
Gobob
Stage III

I'm assuming the neck and the shock mount are cast iron and will require special welding rod to replace my uprights? I read somewhere that the older bikes they brazed these tubes into the cast , Does anyone know. I plan on securing the frame to a weld bench and rig up some support pieces to keep it from springing when I cut out the tubes. Clean out the bores and replace with new seamless steel tubing. Welding the cast should not be a issue I have rod for that and have done it on other cast iron parts pre heat / post heat etc. I'll get some pictures of the frame up later today if I don't get squirreled splitting the cases and such .

Old 01-25-2016, 02:02 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Insurance companies will typically total a bike with a bent frame.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:26 PM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
Insurance companies will typically total a bike with a bent frame.
They are reacting to our sue happy society. My local dealer will not put a new tire on a tubed wheel (spooked) without a new tub, no matter what condition the old tube is in, because of their insurance.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:52 AM
fastman614
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Having spent A LOT of years building racecar and racebike chassies as well as having worked on a pretty large number of bike rebuilds over the years, I will say that, first, I am surprised at how easy a bike frame can get bent. Second, I have straightened many of them over the years - as long as the bends are NOT SERIOUS & there ARE NO KINKED SPOTS in the tubes. Bike frames get problematic to straighten if the angle of impact is at an angle to the front to rear center line of the frame. You need a heavy frame table and other fixtures to hold everything.

So, with that in mind, how bent is the frame and what all else is damaged, bent or destroyed?

Old 01-30-2016, 03:35 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Chick
I wrecked my bike last weekend in my friend's driveway. I was trying to turn around on a very steep, narrow, driveway going uphill.
I lost my balance and tried to correct it, but I ended up hitting the throttle and giving it lots of juice and flew right into the front
end of my friend's car.

The frame on my bike is shot, and so is the bumper on my friend's car.

The question is "Should I have the dealer rebuild my bike or should I go to another mechanic"?? A good friend of mine
gave me a referral to a really good shop. Will this ruin the warranty???
So you slipped and inadvertently grabbed a hand full of throttle and shot forward into her car. That's a pretty slow speed accident and I'm surprised that an impact that just dented a car bumper would bend a Harley frame! Not saying it can't happen, but I wouldn't expect a bent frame out of that sort of impact, the wheel and fork tubes would normally absorb the damage at that kind of speed???

Quick Reply: What should I do about my bent frame?