Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sprocket cover belt guard tool fits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 03:53 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Gil Aguilar
Loose? Hmmm, im going to have to look i to it. Also removed the rubio bolt, You mean banjo bolt?i think its called, from the master cylinder. I was going by the manuals instructions and realized it was unneccessary. It started leaking oil. So w that, im probably looking at bleeding my breaks now to remove air. Dont know how to do that but i got until tomorrow for when i go back to work. It's an easy process that you can do with a length of clear, 1/4" plastic tubing, a box wrench and a few minutes.

On a more positive note, bolt removed!! Good deal.
I wondered if that plate/bracket was removable. So what was the bolt length then?
This medal bracket im touching was easily removable. I removed that and more of the broken bolt was accesible. So w a simple twist w a plyers i was able to remove it no problem! <br/><br/>Just one more question. Should i put thread lock, medium blue in the fasteners that connect the pipes, flange to the head?You mean the exhaust flanges? No. There are very few places where the FSM calls for thread locker.
See red above.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:05 PM
Gil Aguilar
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So i have another problem! Im trying to reinstall the pipes. The pipe bracket clamp will not fit from the sprocket guard entension to the pipe. I cant get the damn thing to fit. The pipe is to far away from the sprocket cover

This thing has become a nightmare! I never want to take my bike apart again! I just need to finish this b4 work tomorrow and im stressing.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:15 AM
Gil Aguilar
Cruiser

The bolt was 1 3/4. And ok. There seems to be some good videos on bleeding break on youtube. And as for the pipes...i had the pipe connecting the two pipes together on top of the metal bracket instead of under, where it belonged. So i got the pipe in place but in the process i lost a flange nut somewhere in the damn bike. And one of the other flange nuts i stripped. I was able to remove it but i dont think its safe to put on and tighten because it might not be able to come off the next time. So there i am now, progress haulted again. I need to get flange nuts 5/16-24. I went to lowes and got 5/16-18. It seemed to fit but then after tightening some it started to become harder so i backed off that and found the proper size online. I guess i have to go an hour back to harley and an hour back b4 work just for some little flange nuts.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:57 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior

The bolt was 1 3/4. And ok. There seems to be some good videos on bleeding break on youtube. And as for the pipes...i had the pipe connecting the two pipes together on top of the metal bracket instead of under, where it belonged. So i got the pipe in place but in the process i lost a flange nut somewhere in the damn bike. And one of the other flange nuts i stripped. I was able to remove it but i dont think its safe to put on and tighten because it might not be able to come off the next time. So there i am now, progress haulted again. I need to get flange nuts 5/16-24. I went to lowes and got 5/16-18. It seemed to fit but then after tightening some it started to become harder so i backed off that and found the proper size online. I guess i have to go an hour back to harley and an hour back b4 work just for some little flange nuts.
You've had a rough time with this.

But it gets easier, I swear.

Also always have a selection of nuts to fit all your bolts. It makes it soooo much easier when you're wrenching at midnight.

Ace/Lowes/HomeDepot usually have all the nuts and bolts you could need. Whenever I need to go there to buy one, I buy five instead.....and a bunch of other stuff too.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:50 AM
Gil Aguilar
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TStephen
You've had a rough time with this.

But it gets easier, I swear.

Also always have a selection of nuts to fit all your bolts. It makes it soooo much easier when you're wrenching at midnight.

Ace/Lowes/HomeDepot usually have all the nuts and bolts you could need. Whenever I need to go there to buy one, I buy five instead.....and a bunch of other stuff too.
Ive exhausted ever store. Ive called everywhere. No ones carries a 5/16-24 flange nut. (hdart#7593). So im on my way to visalia. And i could not find a decent inch-lbs torque wrench so ill b going to harbor freights as well. But sheesh its been a hell of time. Id like to say not bad for my first time working on something mechanical buuut it was pretty bad. Felt like i did everything wrong in the book along the way lol

Old 04-27-2017, 12:31 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Ive exhausted ever store. Ive called everywhere. No ones carries a 5/16-24 flange nut. (hdart#7593). So im on my way to visalia. And i could not find a decent inch-lbs torque wrench so ill b going to harbor freights as well. But sheesh its been a hell of time. Id like to say not bad for my first time working on something mechanical buuut it was pretty bad. Felt like i did everything wrong in the book along the way lol
I'm pretty sure it's just a standard 5/16" - 24 nut. I'm not getting why it's so difficult to find one. They're everywhere!

Sears is a great place to get a torque wrench. If not sears, then an auto parts store should have one. Harbor freight as last resort.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:17 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I very seldom use a torque wrench on these bolts. I have three torque wrenches too. I've been turning wrenches for 50 something years so I have a good feel for it, but if you cant find an inch wrench just use 8.33 foot pounds and call it a day. That's a 100 inch pounds.

The following users liked this post:
TStephen (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 01:53 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hexnut
I very seldom use a torque wrench on these bolts. I have three torque wrenches too. I've been turning wrenches for 50 something years so I have a good feel for it, but if you cant find an inch wrench just use 8.33 foot pounds and call it a day. That's a 100 inch pounds.
Agreed, I've been breaking bolts for about 40 years.

.....but most ft.lb. torque wrenches bought at the local hardware store go down to about 20 ft.lbs minimum.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:09 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Sorry. I've got a 3/8 torque wrench in foot pounds that goes down to 5. I use it a lot.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:29 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hexnut
Sorry. I've got a 3/8 torque wrench in foot pounds that goes down to 5. I use it a lot.
And I forgot about beam style which go from virtually 0 and up.

Edit: Hell, I even forgot that I have one in my big toolbox.

Quick Reply: Sprocket cover belt guard tool fits?