Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sprocket cover belt guard tool fits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Gil Aguilar
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sprocket cover belt guard tool fits?

So im in the process of getting tools to install some passenger footpegs on my sportster 72. Which means i have to remove the pipe, belt guard cover, and rear break master cylinder. I ordered the service manual for torque specs but it does not list the tool sizes i need to remove the parts.

I was lost all day trying to find the right tools. A guy at an oreilys explained to me that now a days bikes or vehicles are either metric or standar. Standard being in fraction and metric in mm. So in the pic on the left i have a 5/15 allen hex bolt in it. It pretty good in there. I tried a T50 hex nut bolt and its snug snug in there. Like i have to apply pressure to get it in and to take it out i have to tug!. BUT the allend wrench on the right in the pic is a 3/16 and it seems to fit good but there is some wiggle room. Im afraid of stripping the fastners. So whats the exact tool sizes to use? And is this bike metric or standard?

Old 04-23-2017, 12:40 PM
Gil Aguilar
Cruiser

And this T50 star hex bit star wrench fits perfectly in the master cylinder fastners that are tightened to the master cylinder support bracket and into the frame.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:55 PM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

It's standard. I'd recommend getting a good set of both allen sockets and torx sockets, they're used all over your bike.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:16 PM
Gil Aguilar
Cruiser

Do you happen to know what size allen the right fastner is? Its smaller than the left one.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Gil, Harleys use mostly inch-sized tools, but have a sneaky number of metric stuff as well. The screw you point at is an inch size on my bike, not metric.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:14 AM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by Gil Aguilar
Do you happen to know what size allen the right fastner is? Its smaller than the left one.
Just get a standard hex and torx socket set like said above. Only one of them will fit. If the one you're using "kinda" fits that's because you're trying to use a metric and it WILL strip. Don't even try it. I don't remember the size for that exact bolt but it'll be more expensive for you to buy each individual.

You'll also want a hex key set (non-socket type) for some of the harder to get to spots where you can't get a socket. Super cheap and will come in very handy.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:39 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

So im in the process of getting tools to install some passenger footpegs on my sportster 72. Which means i have to remove the pipe, belt guard cover, and rear break master cylinder. I ordered the service manual for torque specs but it does not list the tool sizes i need to remove the parts.

I was lost all day trying to find the right tools. A guy at an oreilys explained to me that now a days bikes or vehicles are either metric or standar. Standard being in fraction and metric in mm. So in the pic on the left i have a 5/15 allen hex bolt in it. It pretty good in there. I tried a T50 hex nut bolt and its snug snug in there. Like i have to apply pressure to get it in and to take it out i have to tug!. BUT the allend wrench on the right in the pic is a 3/16 and it seems to fit good but there is some wiggle room. Im afraid of stripping the fastners. So whats the exact tool sizes to use? And is this bike metric or standard?
If there is wiggle room, it isn't correct.
Snug in, snug out. And make sure you're ALL the way in when you use it.

As has been said, invest in a good set of allen and Torx sockets, then use the one that fits the snuggest and seats completely in the bolt head.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:40 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

......and get new exhaust gaskets while you're at it.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:24 PM
Gil Aguilar
Cruiser

Sooo i made a big mistake! When tightening the 3/16 allen bolt on the lower bottom of the sprocket cover belt guard it broke off!! I was using my torque wrench to get the specs right. I never heard it click! Instead it snapped off. Leaving the bolt stuck in the frame! W a little bit showing.

Any tips on how to remove that broken off piece out of the frame? And where do i get another allen 3/16 bolt to replace it? Any one know the length? I just put the cover on for now. I havent even put the pipes back on. For i only got 1 exhaust gasket. Thinking i will be able to remove just one but they are joined together so i had to remove both pipes.grr its been a hard day for such a simple job. Im really bumbed about my damn foul up!

Old 04-25-2017, 10:42 PM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 924 Posts

Sooo i made a big mistake! When tightening the 3/16 allen bolt on the lower bottom of the sprocket cover belt guard it broke off!! I was using my torque wrench to get the specs right. I never heard it click! Instead it snapped off. Leaving the bolt stuck in the frame! W a little bit showing.

Any tips on how to remove that broken off piece out of the frame? And where do i get another allen 3/16 bolt to replace it? Any one know the length? I just put the cover on for now. I havent even put the pipes back on. For i only got 1 exhaust gasket. Thinking i will be able to remove just one but they are joined together so i had to remove both pipes.grr its been a hard day for such a simple job. Im really bumbed about my damn foul up!
The good news is its just a cover. So no big deal.

What brand tq wrench are you using? Did you go by the recommended tq specs? BIG difference between inch lbs and ft lbs. If you used the wrong inch/ft the difference is exponential and could snap a bolt.

Quick Reply: Sprocket cover belt guard tool fits?