Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no retro inspired sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 11:25 PM
Kungfuman
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why no retro inspired sportster?

So I’m trying to get opinions…I know I hear the groans already. My question is why no retro inspired sportster? What am I talking about? A sportster model that has retro styling. I Know the 48 is out there and so is the 72. I’m saying the MOCO should dig a little deeper. Why can’t they make one with heads that resemble and Iron head, or a pan. I’m not talking about the aftermarket bolt on covers available. No I’m saying factory heads that resemble these motors. Do I want to go back in time, no. I want it to have all the modern things a new bike does. EFI, ABS, etc. BMW and Triumph has done this. I’m not trying to compare manufacturers here. I’m saying why not Harley? The triumph has throttle bodies that look like carbs, tubeless spoke wheels too. Those are just examples. Anyone think it would even be worth Harley’s time?

2017 tiumph

2017 BMW

Old 05-10-2017, 11:28 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I'm in. Then Came Bronson.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Harley has no need to make a retro-style bike, as they have never stopped making them! Take your choice. Triumph and BMW have gone retro, simply because they left their respective heritages behind, which Harley has never done.

The following users liked this post:
Old Iron Man (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 09:50 AM
hmnavy72
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

The 72 didn't really sell that well, and im surprised on how well the 48 has. Look at the sale numbers of the "hard candy custom" paint. The paint is retro era and didn't sell. maybe the cost 1k option for the "hard candy" paint was to much for buyers who were interested in the sportie msrp range.

it seems the chopper hype is just about done with along with the fat tire OCC themed bikes. Now adays everyone wants a bagger with navi and loud speakers and a 30in front wheel.

also looking at the market of old choppers, (ebay and craigslist) you don't see many posted. is the market drying up? collectors seeing prices drop and decide to hold? I know riders my age (24) don't really care/know about retro stuff. they couldn't tell a shovel bike from an iron. is it because they don't care? they don't have the knowledge to work on them or their history?

I wear an AMF leather café jacket when I ride and 80% of the people at my basic rider course, which was at the local HD dealer had no clue about AMF.
As a stock holder in HD I don't think having retro themed items such as old valve covers or pushrod tubs will interest new buys, and the buyers who remember those items new will not buy them as they have moved on to baggers.....then again look who well the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger are doing.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:24 AM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 928 Posts

A mid 70's AMF styled Sporty might be cool.

The new Roadster is a great throwback to the XR1200. Be cool if they did an XLCR trim! Once of the coolest bikes I'd never modify.

The 48 and 72 are not retro Sporties IMO. They're a throwback to a general style of the time. I don't recall ever seeing a 1948 Sportster ; ) So there does seem to be a lack of true Sporty throwback.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:28 AM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

Do the new generation of Sportster buyers have any nostalgia for old Sportsters? I think the others who have said a Sportster adventure bike would be difficult to keep in stock are correct. Harley has a chance to lead, not follow.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:33 AM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by hmnavy72
The 72 didn't really sell that well, and im surprised on how well the 48 has. Look at the sale numbers of the "hard candy custom" paint. The paint is retro era and didn't sell. maybe the cost 1k option for the "hard candy" paint was to much for buyers who were interested in the sportie msrp range.

it seems the chopper hype is just about done with along with the fat tire OCC themed bikes. Now adays everyone wants a bagger with navi and loud speakers and a 30in front wheel.

also looking at the market of old choppers, (ebay and craigslist) you don't see many posted. is the market drying up? collectors seeing prices drop and decide to hold? I know riders my age (24) don't really care/know about retro stuff. they couldn't tell a shovel bike from an iron. is it because they don't care? they don't have the knowledge to work on them or their history?

I wear an AMF leather café jacket when I ride and 80% of the people at my basic rider course, which was at the local HD dealer had no clue about AMF.
As a stock holder in HD I don't think having retro themed items such as old valve covers or pushrod tubs will interest new buys, and the buyers who remember those items new will not buy them as they have moved on to baggers.....then again look who well the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger are doing.
When I was your age I wasn't looking for retro either. I wanted new, shiny, high tech, etc.. Nor could I tell a shovel from an IH. When you're my age (40) tastes change. Go to enough bike meets and you start to learn distinctions in motors but that's only if you're interested in the history. Some peeps just wanna push a button and ride and that's cool too.

I'd argue about the "chopper hype" though. There are more and more "chopper" shows each year and they're getting bigger and bigger. Old school has been making a huge comeback over the years. The OCC look,...not so much though. That sh*t is DONE...lol!

Old 05-11-2017, 10:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The ohv Sportster wasn't introduced until 1957 and was a development of the K sidevalve model introduced in 1952. I've no idea where the '48' came from! 1952 K:

DavidStiebel (05-14-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 11:02 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhammer2u
The new Roadster is a great throwback to the XR1200....
Huh?...throwback to a model whose last year was just 2013?

Yamaharley (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

You look at the '52 bike above, and a brand new low or custom, and your question answers itself. It doesn't need retro; it never left.

Last edited by Ratwerke; 05-11-2017 at 11:09 AM.
cvaria (05-12-2017)

Quick Reply: Why no retro inspired sportster?