Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FP3 WAY too rich

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts
Default FP3 WAY too rich

Hi guys:

My wife has a 2013 XL1200C. I've installed V&H slip-ons with quiet baffles, a V&H VO2 intake, and FP3 with the recommended tune downloaded. This thing is running WAY too rich. Black smoke out of the pipes and dropped to 30mpg from around 55mpg.

We're at 5,000 feet here in Albuquerque, but I might add that I have the same exact setup on my Superglide and everything is great.

The first thing we did was reflash the tune in case there was some corruption in the file, but got the same result. I looked into the specifics of the tune on my wife's phone, and under "engine" it says 96 cubic inches.

We'll try auto tune now, but it seems to me that there's something wrong with the original file, considering that it should say 74 inches.

I'll try to call V&H tomorrow, but in the mean time does anyone here have any input on this?

Thanks.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

Any news on this? You can contact V&H right from the app. They might want to look at the map.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:01 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts

I got on the horn with V&H this afternoon. Worked with Chris, who provided excellent service. For some unknown reason the tune was messed up. Even though it was a XL1200 tune, it still said 96 ci when you looked at the specs.

Chris at V&H tweaked that, and got it straightened out. We just got back from a 30 mile ride part way up the mountain and my wife reports that the bike is running MUCH better, a lot more power through the range and much better driveability. I followed here, and while it still smells slightly rich, the huge clouds of black smoke when accelerating are gone. After she goes through a few tanks of gas we'll decide if we want to auto-tune.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:06 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Good to hear you got it straightened out.

I've been very pleasantly surprised with how well the FP3 works.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-14-2017, 04:35 PM
ChuckRoast
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Same Problem

Crazy, Having the same problem with my 2013 1200c, way too rich poor, poor mileage, blubbers and sputters in most rpm ranges. V&H has looked at it twice ( Cheyne) and still runs poorly, never a mention of the program being wrong 96ci. So frustrated that 2 weeks ago I took it off of the bike so that I could at least ride it, went back to factory tune. Just finished moving to Prescott Az same elevation as you. I will now have more time to work with the Fp3 and V&H to get it figured out, I hope. 4 hundred dollar boat anchors are not my thing.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:23 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

I heard from someone on youtube that they worked with V&H for like 3 weeks. Under the sensors settings, which you can get to by long pressing the map that you want to install, there is a switch for the jiffy stand. US bikes don't have that switch, to the best of my knowledge, but for some reason, it's set to on.

IDK if they fixed that in the latest flash, but according to what the guy on youtube said ( blockhead ) iit fixed his issue with the map. IDK if it will do anything for you, or if it is even the issue, but it might be worth a shot to check it.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:24 AM
ChuckRoast
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Stretchman
I heard from someone on youtube that they worked with V&H for like 3 weeks. Under the sensors settings, which you can get to by long pressing the map that you want to install, there is a switch for the jiffy stand. US bikes don't have that switch, to the best of my knowledge, but for some reason, it's set to on.

IDK if they fixed that in the latest flash, but according to what the guy on youtube said ( blockhead ) iit fixed his issue with the map. IDK if it will do anything for you, or if it is even the issue, but it might be worth a shot to check it.
How does the Jiffy Stand cause a too rich condition? Was hoping for constructive help not nonsense.

The following users liked this post:
Lcolon900 (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2017, 12:40 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuckRoast
Crazy, Having the same problem with my 2013 1200c, way too rich poor, poor mileage, blubbers and sputters in most rpm ranges. V&H has looked at it twice ( Cheyne) and still runs poorly, never a mention of the program being wrong 96ci. So frustrated that 2 weeks ago I took it off of the bike so that I could at least ride it, went back to factory tune. Just finished moving to Prescott Az same elevation as you. I will now have more time to work with the Fp3 and V&H to get it figured out, I hope. 4 hundred dollar boat anchors are not my thing.
Chuck, we saw an error for a few XL maps that had the wrong displacement on the server. They have since been fixed. You should be able to download the map from the server with the proper displacement now. Let me know if you have any other questions via email, cneely@vanceandhines.com

Old 06-15-2017, 09:25 PM
ChuckRoast
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Vhcneely
Chuck, we saw an error for a few XL maps that had the wrong displacement on the server. They have since been fixed. You should be able to download the map from the server with the proper displacement now. Let me know if you have any other questions via email, cneely@vanceandhines.com
Thank You!!! I will contact you early next week

Old 06-16-2017, 06:35 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChuckRoast
How does the Jiffy Stand cause a too rich condition? Was hoping for constructive help not nonsense.
I know what you're thinking. The guy on youtube did the V&H dance for 3 weeks, until they finally did that, and he said it fixed the problem, Why? IDK. On the HDI bikes, the jiffy stand sensor will kill the engine if the bike is put into gear with the jiffy stand down. On the US bikes, there is no jiffy stand sensor. Evidentially, it played havoc with him until he switched it off.

Don't shoot the messenger. I am just passing along what I heard. He has an 883.

From what I can gather, there may be a difference between the HDI and domestic wiring harnesses. There is a possibility, and this is simply an educated guess, that perhaps applying that switch on a US model somehow puts power somewhere it should not be. To be honest, I could probably figure out exactly what it was doing if I were to devote some time to troubleshooting it, as I used to work on Aircraft electronics, and know that it could happen if there is a reason for it to. Exactly why it is happening would require information that I do not have available to me. Maybe someone at V&H could explain it better, since it is their tool.

Honestly, I am just trying to help. Electronics can be a tricky thing.

Last edited by Stretchman; 06-19-2017 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Added info

Quick Reply: FP3 WAY too rich