Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tank lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:19 AM
Shackleford
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default tank lift

First off, I need to rant a bit. Every time I find something cool on here that someone's done to their bike and try to do it to mine, it doesn't work or it ends up being WAY more difficult because of mine being an older year model and **** is different on it than the newer models. I swear it's almost like my bike doesn't even exist because the year and model seem so uncommon. Every time I see a 2002 model bike it's always a custom or an 883. Never just the base model xlh1200. I guess people who own even older bikes probably just end up making all their own parts... Mine is not even that old, but dammit if it doesn't always seem to give me problems when I try to do anything to it.

Anyway, I want to do a tank lift and wire tuck but when I go to raise tank, the rear of the tank will hit the backbone if I raise it too much because the rear tank mounting bolt isn't at the back of the tank. It's slightly forward a couple inches. It seems like I will have to raise both the front and rear in order to get the wires tucked underneath because otherwise there will not be room for them to come out at the back.

So, have any of you done a tank lift and wire tuck on an older (pre-rubber mount engine) style bike like mine? Did you end up lifting the rear of the tank as well as the front? Here's some pictures for reference:

Old 06-22-2017, 03:17 PM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

On the bright side you don't have that ugly plastic wire loom, which is the reason I did the tuck/lift in the first place.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:20 PM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Ratwerke:
DK Custom (06-22-2017), Shackleford (06-23-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 04:34 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

We have a ton of great parts that fit your 2002 Sporty. We don't consider your 2002 XLH1200 a bastard at all.

http://dkcustomproducts.com/main.sc

Like Ratwerke copied from our website...for more than a 1.5" lift, you need the Deluxe Option.

Feel free to call or email us with any questions.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
Shackleford (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 08:59 AM
Shackleford
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DK Custom
We have a ton of great parts that fit your 2002 Sporty. We don't consider your 2002 XLH1200 a bastard at all.

http://dkcustomproducts.com/main.sc

Like Ratwerke copied from our website...for more than a 1.5" lift, you need the Deluxe Option.

Feel free to call or email us with any questions.

Haha, I do.

I didn't really notice that option on there, I probably should have read it a little closer. I went ahead and ordered the 2" with the deluxe option. I could probably make something, but it's going to save me a lot of time and effort to get this one instead and I do think they look really clean. Thanks for the help!

DK Custom (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:09 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Haha, I do.

I didn't really notice that option on there, I probably should have read it a little closer. I went ahead and ordered the 2" with the deluxe option. I could probably make something, but it's going to save me a lot of time and effort to get this one instead and I do think they look really clean. Thanks for the help!
Cool!

I believe you'll be happy with the results.

The Deluxe option is a bit of a pain to install....limited working space...but the instructions have the steps to take to make it as painless as possible.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:34 PM
GCJohnny
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Should you install a tank lift on your Dyna?

DK Custom (06-23-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 07:49 PM
Shackleford
Cruiser

Just wanted to give an update, I'm not really happy with the "deluxe" option that I purchased from DK Customs. The front tank mounts were fine, but the brackets for the rear tank bolt were not long enough. I tried every which way I could to get those things mounted properly, and there was just no way. The bolts that were provided were not long enough either. The paperwork said there was supposed to be two different bolt size sets. I just got four bolts that were all the same. I ended up having to make my own brackets anyway (which was exactly what I was wanting to avoid). I did manage to get the tank lifted, but the back is a bit too high now because I ended up having to make my own brackets. I'll probably end up raising the front another half inch or so to make up for the difference. Here are some pictures:
Had to provide my own bolts because the ones it came with weren't long enough.

After making my own brackets the first iteration was too long.

Ratwerke (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

Sorry it didn't work for you.... thanks for the update.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:31 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Man, I am really sorry you did not get both size bolts. After reading your post, we checked every Deluxe option kit on the shelf and they all have the correct sized bolts.

Looks like you have the right sized bolts now. Go ahead and follow the directions with our Deluxe option. As I mentioned, it can be a bit of a pain, but they will fit/work...you do not need those taller brackets, as you see, they are too tall.

The key to getting it to work is in #4 and #5 of the instructions, also take note of the second half of #7...especially that they go on on the inside of the rear tank bracket.

Feel free to give us a call or email if any assistance is needed.

Kevin

Quick Reply: tank lift