Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shocks vs seat for comfort

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Antleo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks vs seat for comfort

08 XL1200C I am trying to decide between a mustang seat or shocks. I am not sure which shocks to go with in that regard, I want to get some more ground clearance and I think air shocks would be the way to go. Beyond that I have no clue what I should get. I am open to suggestions if air shocks are not a good idea or on a brand or anything else.

Same in regards to the seat, I would like something that can at least throw on the rear (passenger) seat on, if its not built in.

I went on a relatively long trip and found that when I got to my destination my butt was not comfortable (due to the hard stock seat) Any suggestions as to the seat would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2017, 03:33 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I got Progressive 444 12.5 shocks and a Mustang seat. Works pretty good.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:35 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Antleo
08 XL1200C I am trying to decide between a mustang seat or shocks. I am not sure which shocks to go with in that regard, I want to get some more ground clearance and I think air shocks would be the way to go. Beyond that I have no clue what I should get. I am open to suggestions if air shocks are not a good idea or on a brand or anything else.

Same in regards to the seat, I would like something that can at least throw on the rear (passenger) seat on, if its not built in.

I went on a relatively long trip and found that when I got to my destination my butt was not comfortable (due to the hard stock seat) Any suggestions as to the seat would also be appreciated. Thanks!
The air shocks don't work that way. Do not think you can raise or lower the bike by adding or bleeding air. I had air shocks on my '14 Ultra [since changed to Ohlins]. I adjusted the air pressure quite often depending if I was riding solo, 2-up or loaded with gear. The firmness and "sag" was certainly impacted by adding/deleting air, but ground clearance always remained the same no matter the air pressure.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:41 PM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 928 Posts

Shock choice is a never ending debate. Just Google best Sportster shocks and read til your eyes bleed. You get what you pay for though. As for height, anything more than a 13" is going to look real funny. Consider that if you go up much higher in the back, you'll probably have to go up a bit in the front too.

As for seat choice I think the best option is to have your stock seat professionally reworked. They'll add or remove foam wherever you need, add memory foam and/or gel, then recover it for ya. This may even be a cheaper option than buying a new seat. Problem with buying new seats is that your butt will have to conform to it instead of the seat conforming to your butt,...like a custom seat would. If you can find a local motorcycle seat guy, that would be choice so you can sit and feel before they re-cover it for you.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:51 PM
onelocoman
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Its all about how much you want to spend. I got progressive 12.5 412's and a saddleman seat.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:02 PM
Antleo
6th Gear

Originally Posted by sailmotion
The air shocks don't work that way. Do not think you can raise or lower the bike by adding or bleeding air. I had air shocks on my '14 Ultra [since changed to Ohlins]. I adjusted the air pressure quite often depending if I was riding solo, 2-up or loaded with gear. The firmness and "sag" was certainly impacted by adding/deleting air, but ground clearance always remained the same no matter the air pressure.
oh no Im sorry I wanted Air shocks for the ride quality. Id be going with a longer shock

With the seat thats a really good idea, I will have to look around for someone.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:15 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,155 Likes on 723 Posts

Like it's already been said, shock choice is a never ending debate (too include whether you need to do anything with them at all). The Sporty has a short wheelbase, which will always be a limiting factor in what you can do/expect.

Seat-wise... When it comes to comfort, you'll likely not see any seats get more votes than the Mustang Vintage Solo or Mustang Wide Vintage Solo.

I tend to believe that the most significant factors when it come to seat comfort are surface area, shape, and foam type. It needs to provide adequate support/distribute the load to prevent pressure points etc. If the seat is too narrow, then all your weight will be supported by that narrow surface - putting all the pressure on a narrow swath or your rear end. A wider seat can better employ the whole of your butt to support the load. If your seat is narrow, I don't know how getting it reworked gets around that problem.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:46 PM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Another nod for a mustang wide touring, comes in 1 or 2 piece. Get it first, it may be enough for you. I had a custom, added progressive 12.5" 430's (had used 412's as well on a previous Nightster) Both brought significant improvement in comfort.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:05 PM
Antleo
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Switchback12
Another nod for a mustang wide touring, comes in 1 or 2 piece. Get it first, it may be enough for you. I had a custom, added progressive 12.5" 430's (had used 412's as well on a previous Nightster) Both brought significant improvement in comfort.
How did you like the 430s vs the 412s?

Does anyone have experience with the progressive 416 series air shock? Another good question is what is the stock shock length for these bikes (xl1200c)?

Has anyone used progressive heavy duty front fork springs? how are they? (I am Yet to do any research on these so that may be easily found info)

Old 07-13-2017, 06:28 PM
vspkent
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I also have a 08 XL1200C. I have been running air shocks off of an 08 Electra Glide. These shock make the bike set a little taller just because the spring rate is a bit more. Also installed Progressive springs in the front. The bike rides real nice single or two up with this set up.

As for the seat I have a Mustang wide on the bike. I also have a Harley Sundowner that was installed. The stock seat is rough on an ole ***.

Kent

BTW I have a pair of 2016 Road Glide air shocks if you are interested. Also will sell the Mustang seat.

Quick Reply: shocks vs seat for comfort