Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time HD shopper.... advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:32 PM
GringoLoco
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time HD shopper.... advice?

I used to ride in high school for a couple years, back in 1993-1995. My first bike was an 81 Suzuki GS450L (gutless cruiser), then I moved up to an 82 Kawasaki CSR750 (slightly less gutless cruiser). I ended up totalling the Kawasaki (corner, oil slick, and ditch, wasn't even goofing off) and haven't had a bike since. Lately I've been wanting a bike again, and couldn't decide between a sport bike (probably would've gotten a Buell), or a cruiser. I think I've decided on a Harley, specifically a slightly used Sportster 1200. Sooo.........

1. Should I take the retail values on kbb.com seriously?
2. Does mileage affect price as much as on cars?
3. If so, what's a good average mileage/year to look for on a bike?
4. Any known problems with Sportster 1200's? Probably in the 2000-2005 range?
5. A local dealer has this bike for $7250. It's the Sportster on the bottom of the page. Look like a good deal assuming good condition and reasonable miles?
6. I'm a retard and allowed my motorcycle endorsement to expire.... can I kiss a test drive goodbye?
7. What's the difference between a 1200 Roadster and a 1200 Custom?

Thanks for the help guys, this is my first post here but I poked around for a bit, and you guys seem to know your stuff. I posted this question at jeepforum.com where I usually hang out, but of course the first post told me to stay away from Harleys unless I got a new one with a warrantee, and recommended a 650cc metric bike. Some people just don't get it... lol.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:09 PM
swervedriver
Advanced
Default RE: First time HD shopper.... advice?

1. pretty much
2.no, bikes aren't as expensive so they don't depreciate as much
3.any year is cool with me, it's more about how the bike has been maintained
4.don't know about this one
5.that's kinda high in my opinion, i bought my '07 883 for 7,800 out the door.
6.never heard of a dealer letting anyone test ride a bike without an endorsement
7.http://www.harley-davidson.com

Old 06-10-2007, 02:18 PM
GringoLoco
Cruiser

Okay, so I figured out some of the differences between the Custom and Roadster, and decided I like the Roadster better.

Now, looking around online at reviews I'm seeing Sporty owners complain of the newer engines needing to be rebuilt after only 3500 miles, the dealer refusing to fix it under warrantee, etc. Anybody else know of any problems with defective valve guides or something?

Old 06-10-2007, 02:45 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

ORIGINAL: GringoLoco

Okay, so I figured out some of the differences between the Custom and Roadster, and decided I like the Roadster better.

Now, looking around online at reviews I'm seeing Sporty owners complain of the newer engines needing to be rebuilt after only 3500 miles, the dealer refusing to fix it under warrantee, etc. Anybody else know of any problems with defective valve guides or something?
I'm not sure where you're reading that, but the newer sporty engineshave been very reliable. Newer (2004 & up) also have rubber engine mounts which means less vibration.

The bike you listed in the add has about $1500 worth of options added but when looking at used bikes, the options are the things that don't hold resale value. So for resale price value purposes they are worth about half that.

If you shop from private individuals, you should be able to by a comperably equiped 04-05 1200 with 5K miles forunder $7500.

I picked up the bike as shown in my sig pic 6 months ago with 5300 miles for $6300.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:38 PM
shawnpd
Advanced

Gringo,
Glad your looking again! I have an 05, 1200 Custom and rode it like I stole the first two years! Haven't had much time this year because of work and family but when I ride, I ride it hard! I have no time to bling it out and struggle to keep it clean since all I want to do is ride. I have had no, no, no problems with mine! Routine maintence, new tires and new rear brake (ya I am one of those!) and it rides better now then when I first bought it!
I know three other people with 1200s (2 customs, 1 Roadster) and none of us have had any problems!
Good luck with your choice!

Old 06-10-2007, 03:45 PM
ColinB
Novice

Getting one with a rubber-mount engine is worth any amount of after market stuff that may be on the bike and pushing the price up. Just my $0.02

Colin

[IMG]local://upfiles/32430/C0BA738388C34CDF9E08603EBC5AB5D4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-10-2007, 07:52 PM
hillbillyonahawg
Advanced

I've got an 04 1200 custom with almost 14,000 miles on it and I've only done scheduled maintenance and put tires on it.Heck,just put 687 miles on it yesterday and today.Only had one problem.........NO SUNBLOCK!I'm way over 3500 miles and I'm still riding long and running strong.Nothing for you to worry about in that department.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:36 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 04 1200r has 21,000 miles and the only problem I have had was my fault . I pinched the slide diaphram putting the top of the carb back on . this is the most reliable maitenance free motorcycle I have ever had and I have been riding since 1972. I change the oil and tranny fluids every 5000 miles , clean the air cleaner every 2500 miles I am a firm believer that a clean air filter is just as important as changing the oil . greased the steering bearing at 15000 miles and never touched the belt . there are no valve adjustments to make , no chain to lube, no anti freeze to change or radiators to get a hole in or thermostats to stick. now nothing says there cant be a lemon out there I just read a thread on another forum from a guy who dropped 24,000 bucks for a gold wing and had to have it towed to the shop twice in less than 90 miles.
buy what you want and dont pay any attention to the arm chair mechanics.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:12 PM
GringoLoco
Cruiser

Cool, thanks for the reassuring words! Now, true to what I do when modding my Jeep, I'm thinking about just buying the new Nightster. I loooove that bike. I'll do more research, but is that a limited edition that I'm going to have trouble getting into?

Old 06-11-2007, 07:36 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Nightster is a new model... If it keeps flying off the floor like I've been hearing... then I think it will stay...

Who in their right mind would stop making a good seller...

Then again... it could be a one year and done thing...

You never know what corporate is thinking...

Charlie D.

Quick Reply: First time HD shopper.... advice?