Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me kick start

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 05:09 PM
jsold77
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me kick start

So I'm 17 yr I'm 5'5" and I weigh probably around 120. I have a 1979 sportster xlch kickstart only. It was my dads first bike and I would rather keep it then sell it. My father( a relatively big guy) can kick it three kicks no problem and it starts. But when I try I always get a kick back or sometimes I can't even kick the lever down( kinda like it gets stuck ). Anybody have some helpful hints for me? Or some advice on a possible electric starter ?

Old 08-06-2017, 05:23 PM
attaboy15
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,163 Likes on 1,127 Posts

When you move the kick start to the highest position place one boot on it, jump up keeping your boot on the lever and bring your entire weight down quickly. Don't go slow if you can avoid it. I use to start many Norton Commando's this way when I was your age.
Good Luck!

Old 08-06-2017, 05:25 PM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

A lot of times I see people have a habit of bouncing on the kicker.... you should be visualizing kicking all the way through the stroke to the ground. Check out youtube for examples.
Very light people can kick very large bikes with the proper technique.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:30 PM
xerofokus
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratwerke
A lot of times I see people have a habit of bouncing on the kicker.... you should be visualizing kicking all the way through the stroke to the ground. Check out youtube for examples.
Very light people can kick very large bikes with the proper technique.

Wish I'd have watched those videos when I had my '74. I couldn't count the number of times the kickback hyper-extended my knee... sheessshhh it's amazing my leg still works at all!

I did get in the habit of jumping on it with my whole body weight, and that seemed to work much better for me. But I knew there had to be a better way.

In closing x2 on checking some of the youtube vids. One of them will surly help you.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:52 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Perseverance will make all the difference....don't give up. You will feel it when it's primed. At that point, give it all your weight

Check out this vid...same issues you are having but persistency made the difference. No offense intended but just wanted show that you can do it....just make sure your bike can start i.e. good plugs, clean fuel, clean carb, functioning throttle, etc.

Good luck

Last edited by hscic; 08-06-2017 at 05:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rv7garage (08-08-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 07:11 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

My process, one or two kick start every time:

Ignition off. Two squirts from accelerator pump. Two kicks through to prime.

Ignition on. Throttle closed with choke all the way on. Kick hard and fast.

https://instagram.com/p/BUsiRYDg9NJ/

Old 08-06-2017, 08:14 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
My process, one or two kick start every time:

Ignition off. Two squirts from accelerator pump. Two kicks through to prime.

Ignition on. Throttle closed with choke all the way on. Kick hard and fast.

https://instagram.com/p/BUsiRYDg9NJ/
Good advise here.

Also, you should get the pistons close the bottom of the compression stroke. This is easier said than done. Before you follow above advise, try to kick the crank over until you feel resistance, this should be at bottom of the compression stroke. Have someone show you if possible.

When you kick it, keep your knee a bit bent as you use your body weight on the kick starter, then just before the kick starter hits bottom, straighten your leg for that little extra oomph. Kind of breaking your wrists at the end of a baseball swing. The kick starter will not kick back if it's at the very bottom. Concentrate on kicking it all the way through its stroke to the bottom. A well tuned bike is a lot easier to start than one that is out of tune.

Good luck, you'll get it soon.

The following users liked this post:
Ratwerke (08-07-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 09:35 PM
xerofokus
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
When you kick it, keep your knee a bit bent as you use your body weight on the kick starter

#valuableinformation

Old 08-07-2017, 10:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

It's all about technique and despite your dad being a big bloke, he has it so should be able to pass it on you! Having been riding for over 50 years many of my bikes have been kick start, including a shovelhead, and personally I would stand astride the bike, not alongside it - that just looks cack-handed and awkward. The poor lass in that video above is being badly taught IMHO - don't try that way!

Old 08-07-2017, 11:33 PM
jsold77
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
Good advise here.

Also, you should get the pistons close the bottom of the compression stroke. This is easier said than done. Before you follow above advise, try to kick the crank over until you feel resistance, this should be at bottom of the compression stroke. Have someone show you if possible.

When you kick it, keep your knee a bit bent as you use your body weight on the kick starter, then just before the kick starter hits bottom, straighten your leg for that little extra oomph. Kind of breaking your wrists at the end of a baseball swing. The kick starter will not kick back if it's at the very bottom. Concentrate on kicking it all the way through its stroke to the bottom. A well tuned bike is a lot easier to start than one that is out of tune.

Good luck, you'll get it soon.
How can you tell which one is the compression stroke ?

Quick Reply: Help me kick start