Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster slipon muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:27 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,414 Likes on 2,943 Posts
Default Sportster slipon muffler question

I'm wanting to swap out the stock mufflers for either a set of V&H Twin Slash or the Screamin' Eagle slipons.

I'm not wanting loud, just a little more of the Harley rumble. I had a set of V&H Cruzer pipes on the bike I traded for the Sportster. Liked the sound but I don't want that loud of pipe/muffler this time around.

I've listened to about every video on YouTube as far as the V&H and the Screamin' Eagle slipons. Hard to really make a decision from them as the sound of the mufflers is different on every one. I'm kind of leaning towards the Screamin' Eagles as most say they are fairly quiet but have a deeper sound than the stock pipes.

Looking for input from people with personal experience with either of these mufflers.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:37 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior
Received 587 Likes on 330 Posts

Is your bike the 2017? It's might be a different scenario, but for my 04' XL883 I got a set of Screamin' Eagle II slip ons from a fellow forum member. As much as I can't stand Screaming Eagle, they sound awesome. Not insanely loud, just more bark and rumble.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:02 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dudepants
Is your bike the 2017? It's might be a different scenario, but for my 04' XL883 I got a set of Screamin' Eagle II slip ons from a fellow forum member. As much as I can't stand Screaming Eagle, they sound awesome. Not insanely loud, just more bark and rumble.
Yes, it's a 2017. From what I can tell the main difference is the balance pipe on my bike is welded to the headpipes. The earlier models had the balance pipe feeding the mufflers with a gasket.

From what you said, looks more like the SE are the way to go, thanks.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:10 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by firehawk6
Yes, it's a 2017. From what I can tell the main difference is the balance pipe on my bike is welded to the headpipes. The earlier models had the balance pipe feeding the mufflers with a gasket.

From what you said, looks more like the SE are the way to go, thanks.
Ah I see. Yeah I mean for me it came down to cost. Like I said, I got a set of used mufflers from Cvaria, who was nice enough to sell them to me. The upgrade in sound/tone was well worth it, really does make it sound like a Harley, haha! The one thing to consider is there is a difference with modern SE slip-ons and the SE II slip-ons. I've read a few threads where they talk about the difference, but I can't seem to locate them. Either way you go, I think youll be happy with the change. I'm still considering Cobra 3" RPT slip ons, those sound so awesome!

The following users liked this post:
firehawk6 (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 10:53 AM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

... I'm still considering Cobra 3" RPT slip ons, those sound so awesome!
How do the cobra RPT compare to your current SEII setup? I been wondering about cobras too.

And whenever you're ready to offload the SEIIs, I'll gladly buy them from you.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lewk
How do the cobra RPT compare to your current SEII setup? I been wondering about cobras too.

And whenever you're ready to offload the SEIIs, I'll gladly buy them from you.
You know, I'm only basing that off of a Revzilla review here they compared a bunch of pipes on a Iron883 so it's really just the sound on the video. Sounds like they'd have more bass and a bit louder.

Like the OP, it's hard to pull the trigger on something when you can't hear it in person. I struggle with getting a new seat for that very reason.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:26 PM
S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r
Road Master
Received 809 Likes on 246 Posts

FIREHAWK!!
Welcome to the Sportster forums!

My '09 12 Custom had V&H "Twin Slash" slip-ons.
I'd say that they were comparable to the Cruzers that I had on my previous ride.
I wanted to tone it down a little bit so I added these... DK Products Thunder Torque Inserts.
It did help to some degree.

My dad has an '06 883 that has Scream'n Eagles installed and it sounds great... BUT... his bike is carbureted... it makes a difference.
His bike didn't sound ANYTHING like either of mine.
In terms of loudness, I don't know that his is any quieter, it just has a deeper tone.

I run Cycle Shacks on my current Sporty.
I LOVE how they sound but they're probably louder than what you're looking for.

Check out the DK Products web site and watch some of their TTI Youtube videos.
They might help you out a bit.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
firehawk6 (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 12:33 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Indy-Stranger
FIREHAWK!!
Welcome to the Sportster forums!

My '09 12 Custom had V&H "Twin Slash" slip-ons.
I'd say that they were comparable to the Cruzers that I had on my previous ride.
I wanted to tone it down a little bit so I added these... DK Products Thunder Torque Inserts.
It did help to some degree.

My dad has an '06 883 that has Scream'n Eagles installed and it sounds great... BUT... his bike is carbureted... it makes a difference.
His bike didn't sound ANYTHING like either of mine.
In terms of loudness, I don't know that his is any quieter, it just has a deeper tone.

I run Cycle Shacks on my current Sporty.
I LOVE how they sound but they're probably louder than what you're looking for.

Check out the DK Products web site and watch some of their TTI Youtube videos.
They might help you out a bit.

Good luck.
Well hey Stranger... Thanks for the input.

I have to say from what I've listened to on YouTube the SE's seem to be more of what I'm looking for. A little bit louder but basically just a deeper sound. Still hard to tell from watching a video, if they sound just like the stock pipes I'll have to keep looking.

The Cruzers had a slash cut, so do the Twin Slash. Looking for something different this go around. So that's kind of a strike 2 against the V&H.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:28 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

The new se slip-ons are lame. The twin slash v&h, rush, or cycle shacks would a better bet at this point.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:38 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

You know, I'm only basing that off of a Revzilla review here they compared a bunch of pipes on a Iron883 so it's really just the sound on the video. Sounds like they'd have more bass and a bit louder ...
Yes it's that very same review that piqued my interest in the cobra. As you said, they did sound like they had more bass and were just a bit louder. And that sounds perfect for me.
... Like the OP, it's hard to pull the trigger on something when you can't hear it in person ...
Too true, I'd hate to order and install new exhausts only to find they are too loud. Now, before someone gets irritated: yes I know I'm supposed to go listen to as many bikes as possible at the local HD watering hole and pick the one I like best... but not everyone has the time for that, especially when there aren't many sportsters in this area. Plus I do have a life away from HD.

Quick Reply: Sportster slipon muffler question