Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning Nightster engine *Solved* + Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 05:22 AM
Herrbergman
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny_bravo00
My engine casing is smooth(ish) now, not gritty like the factory finish. Much, MUCH easier to clean.
Thank you for this awesome tip!
Now that it's been a few years, have you noticed any negative effects at all?

I really need to do something about my engine case, and I'd rather not paint it bc I'm afraid I'm just gonna mess it up.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:28 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I spray Simple Green on the under carriage, then soak the remaining bike with a light mixture of Dawn and water. Hose it off and leaf blow the water away best I could. Looks off the assembly line clean. I've never really soaked a bike down like I do my passenger vehicles until I had to run thru a lot of melting snow that left a big mess. I used to just wring a washcloth with Dawn soap and towel dry in the past. I was so impressed with how clean it looked after doing a 'soak' wash that I'm going to use that method from now on.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:08 AM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain
Received 285 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Herrbergman
Thank you for this awesome tip!
Now that it's been a few years, have you noticed any negative effects at all?

I really need to do something about my engine case, and I'd rather not paint it bc I'm afraid I'm just gonna mess it up.

Ive since powder coated the engine covers. That said, I dealt with the grey wrinkle for a few years without issue after doing the scouring pad. Knocking the rough part off the finish was essential for me maintaining a clean Nightster. Keep in mind you dont want to rub the finish completely off. Just enough so that you can smoothly run a cloth across it without it gripping like sandpaper. Fwiw, my engine looked just as bad as yours in the beginning.

Originally Posted by TUCCI
I spray Simple Green on the under carriage, then soak the remaining bike with a light mixture of Dawn and water. Hose it off and leaf blow the water away best I could. Looks off the assembly line clean. I've never really soaked a bike down like I do my passenger vehicles until I had to run thru a lot of melting snow that left a big mess. I used to just wring a washcloth with Dawn soap and towel dry in the past. I was so impressed with how clean it looked after doing a 'soak' wash that I'm going to use that method from now on.
Tried all of those things (see post 1) no success with the grey wrinkle engine casings on the Nightster.

Old 03-26-2020, 03:55 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,115 Likes on 629 Posts

I use a cheap alloy wheel cleaner foam and a circular motion with a washing up brush on mine .

The following users liked this post:
back again (08-20-2020)