Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sumpin' a little more "XL1200Cruisery"

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 12:41 AM
AKC
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Sumpin' a little more "XL1200Cruisery"

You may or may not know me from the "Street" board, but "Alanui" the Street Rod got some company 3 weeks ago;

2015 XL1200C with just over 1K miles on it. (The day I went to check it out and took it home. H-D made it really easy to get into. (Of course they did...)

Of course, it don't look exactly like that anymore, I'm a fiddler and gotta make things mine. That's one thing about the Sportster, it's just about the most easily customizable bike in their line, with tons of after-market support to take one in any direction one wants.

I'll get some updated pics posted soonish.

1738 miles on the clock... (Already!)

Last edited by AKC; 02-05-2018 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:53 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Best deal in used sportys

Last edited by cvaria; 02-05-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:37 AM
deadrubberboy
Road Master
Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome Welcome!

Old 02-05-2018, 12:41 PM
cchuck3537
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

awesome bike

Old 02-05-2018, 12:52 PM
ApexRider
Cruiser
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Moar pics!

Old 02-05-2018, 02:50 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
Best deal in used sportys

Old 02-09-2018, 02:39 AM
AKC
Cruiser

Thanks for the welcomes!...

Originally Posted by ApexRider
Moar pics!
Tried to comply with the dying light this evening after work. Quick snappys with the phone;

Lessee, H-D Swingarm bag (love it), H-D "Waterfall" horn cover (never cared much for the cowbell), Custom Dynamics Bullet Rings front and rear, rears switched to red to work with the Smart Triple Play® BCMXL so now they're run/brake/turn lights, fronts relocated to the lower triple clamp, JW Speaker 8690 adaptive headlight. H-D extended turn signal buttons. (easily the single most popular, cheapest and easiest mod one can make...)

Replaced the staggered clevises for the footpegs with a pair of gloss black equal length ones so I could install a set of straight Sportster pegs, raising them up just a little bit and eliminating the stupid, "inch and sumpin' long" grind pegs on the dogleg ones. Swapped out the kickstand for a chrome one that leaves it a bit more upright, chrome shift rod, robbed the Joker Machine mirrors from the "V" Bike in the garage. (Already put them back in favor of some black round lens Jokers that I ordered) And the aluminum shift peg from the "V" also. (Replaced that already too)

Vance and Hines Straight Shot HS slipons with the standard baffles (I picked up a set of the quiet baffles in case the neighbors complain. Ain't heard nuttin' from 'em yet...) Vance and Hines Gloss Black Grenade intake on the way. Already flashed with FP3, improved the engine manners considerably.

Corbin Close Solo saddle (It's really comfy, but I kinda wish I'd specified no provision for a backrest, hate the "flap"), H-D Solo rack in gloss black (the bike already had the "Detachables" hardware installed. Still debating with myself about the H-D "One-Piece" sissy bar), Progressive Suspension 444's in the rear, and their heavy-duty fork springs up front (HUGE difference in the ride and handling!)

I just now re-vamped the license plate holder with a Joker Machine backing plate and chrome blind screw frame setup, eliminating the cheesy (and very easily bent) stock mount. I'm leaving it on the fender. Also just finished removing the 444's and switching around the bushing inserts, moving the shocks inward 1/8" and eliminating the unnecessary 1/8" washer under the heads of the mount bolts. Amazing how such a little amount can make such a difference.

I had picked up a flip-up gas cap (Joker Machine, of course) but it just ain't working with the speedo in its present location. So I picked up a Joker low-profile knurled cap to run with.

While initially enamored of the Custom riser, I discovered some serious chrome flaking where it meets the top clamp when I removed it to move the front turn signals. And I hate the present speedo location, visually as well as the aforementioned fuel cap interference issue.

So I'm going to swap out the riser for one from a Sportster 72, which will flip the speedo and indicator lights. I lose about 2¾" of riser that way, so I picked up a Biltwell "Flyer" to get some height back. Looks like I gain about an inch or so, which is fine. Not into apes. And there shouldn't be any cable/harness issues. And I'm keeping the brow. I like the brow.

So, yeah, I've done a few things to it. So far.

Including ride it.

1851 miles on the clock...

Old 02-09-2018, 09:36 AM
cchuck3537
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Awesome! The sissy bar would be nice.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:36 AM
AKC
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cchuck3537
Awesome! The sissy bar would be nice.
Thanks. I'm still mulling it over. I may just go ahead and get one for the bag carrying ability for longer trips, if any, down the road. It's not like it's a permanent installation kinda thing.

Been farting around in the garage for a bit and got to trying to see how the Flyer is going to work out.

As luck would have it, setting it on the existing bar puts it right at the 2" height I'll get from the 72 riser setup.

From the side, I just have to picture it moving about 1½" back. I think I'm going to like the hand position better, but I don't think I'm really gaining any height, which is fine. I will get a little pullback. Which is also fine. The width is pretty much identical to the stock bar. One thing I think I'll go ahead and do is get some BarSnake and get that in while the new bar is off.

Still don't think I'm going to have any cable/harness problems, the proof will be in the actual fitting.

Now to get the rest of the parts from H-D. I took a quick look at the 'bay to see if there were any used ones, but it's actually cheaper to go through the dealer. Besides, I'd rather have new parts.

It's a little hard to picture how the speedo will look hanging out over the brow, but I'd rather have it there than hanging over the tank.

Oh the fun of it all...

Old 02-10-2018, 10:57 PM
AKC
Cruiser

Dang! That was quick! I was literally backing down the driveway to go to H-D to order the parts for the riser swap when UPS pulled up with a package for me. "Can't be the air cleaner, it's not supposed to be here until next week."

It was the air cleaner. From New York. I ordered it Thursday evening. With no special shipping. Holy smokes! Know what I'll be doing done with this evening.

Installation was fairly straightforward, a couple of "headscratch" moments, but it's on and ready to go.

And the longer bolts for the mirrors arrived in the mail. My local hardware supply is reasonably well stocked, but they only go up to certain lengths and I needed 2¼" to make the spacers work. Thanks to AIR Fasteners in Covina for having what I wanted at a good price.

The Jokers I got were just a little too close to the hands for my preference, so a couple of spacers with the longer bolts were just the ticket.

I really wanted to make these work, and it came out fine. Wouldn't want to walk into them though -

I may just round those off a little.

The following 2 users liked this post by AKC:
Dheez (02-12-2018), Swartzy (02-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Sumpin' a little more "XL1200Cruisery"