Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lights are on but no one's home..

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 04:24 PM
WildBill79
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights are on but no one's home..

Was out riding the other night and it was a little cool but not really cold. Gave her a twists a couple times as I was passing some girls and then turned the corner and she shut off. Lights were still on flashers worked horn works but would not start. Plenty of charge on the battery, key is on, switch is to run, press the button and nothing not even a click. I will mention a couple days prior I changed from 20/50 oil to straight 60 oil. I found a a breaker that was kind of iffy so I replaced it, replaced the relay and still the same issue. So I removed the starter and inspected it and it was dirty as hell. So I found an inexpensive one and installed it, still not running. Jumped from the positive on the starter solenoid over to the starter and the starter does engage. The engine is not locked up, don't think I'm getting anything on the smaller wire on the starter solenoid when grounded and pressing the start button. Of course now, the weather is beautiful and perfect and mildly warm. Will somebody please help me I'm losing my mind.

Last edited by WildBill79; 04-11-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:28 PM
WildBill79
3rd Gear

forgot to mention, she's a 1979 Ironhead.
​​​​​

Old 04-11-2018, 06:50 PM
4d8
2nd Gear

do you have circuit diagram and test meter? im not familiar with the ironheads but most starter circuits are pretty simple

Old 04-11-2018, 06:53 PM
normannewguy
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

check wiring to starter switch see if you are getting battery voltage. if not back track to key switch, ignition. See if that has 12volts plus. If starter switch has 12 v see with it pushed on if current goes through it.
Good luck

Old 04-11-2018, 07:50 PM
WildBill79
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 4d8
do you have circuit diagram and test meter? im not familiar with the ironheads but most starter circuits are pretty simple
Yes. With everything I've looked at, I believe the starter solenoid to be the problem.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:54 PM
WildBill79
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by normannewguy
check wiring to starter switch see if you are getting battery voltage. if not back track to key switch, ignition. See if that has 12volts plus. If starter switch has 12 v see with it pushed on if current goes through it.
Good luck
voltage on the battery is good, key switch is good, run/off switch is good, Start push button is good, relay is new, all circuit breakers are good and test good for continuity, starter is good, so the only other thing it could be is the starter solenoid. I jumped from the positive on the starter solenoid that comes from the battery to the smaller post that comes from the push start button and I didn't get anything.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:47 PM
normannewguy
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBill79
voltage on the battery is good, key switch is good, run/off switch is good, Start push button is good, relay is new, all circuit breakers are good and test good for continuity, starter is good, so the only other thing it could be is the starter solenoid. I jumped from the positive on the starter solenoid that comes from the battery to the smaller post that comes from the push start button and I didn't get anything.
Ok , kinda confused me you do have voltage at solenoid when you hit starter switch? . You said in previous post you jumped the solenoid and starter worked?. If you have voltage at solenoid and nothing happens yes thats starter that needs to be replaced.
Now for the initial problem of bike shutting off I had same issues on 97 Sportster. Engine would die power to everything else as I rode. Looked through wiring diagram and came up with ignition switch was worn out from years of too many keys on it. Replaced and no problems 3 years later.