Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conflicting stories at stealership: slipons - remap or no remap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 04:21 PM
GringoLoco
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conflicting stories at stealership: slipons - remap or no remap?

Okay, when I bought my Nightster, the sales guy recommended the Cycle Shack slip ons, said I wouldn't need to do ANY reflash or tune, and that the slip ons wouldn't make it run any leaner by themselves. So I ordered them. I go to pick them up, and both the parts guys, and the service counter guys, said that it WILL lean me way out, and that I REALLY should wait until I tune it. Then they said that the reflash they can do is only designed for the SE slipons w/ air cleaner (I believe that part), but that the Cycle Shack slip ons make the bike much leaner than the SE ones (not sure about that). They at first said I need to do a race tune, but then conceded that I could get away with the TFI and no dyno for about a $400 savings (making it closer to $500 for parts/labor on the TFI).

So, would running Cycle Shack slip ons by themselves make the bike run any leaner than SE's, or any leaner than stock for that matter? I tend to trust parts guys and service counter guys quicker than sales guys, but they ALL work for the stealership, so it could be a racket for all that matters....

I'm just really bummed now because I was hoping I could get my bike sounding more like a Harley today. They told me I'd have to wait like 3 weeks for their TFI kit to come in. I was planning on retuning anyway, but only a reflash, and after getting an A/C.

I did do a search, and found one thread that mentioned this a little, but that was back when EFI was pretty new on the Sportsters, didn't know if anything's changed.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:33 PM
07XL883L
Advanced
Default RE: Conflicting stories at stealership: slipons - remap or no remap?

i have se's on mine, no reflash. you dont need a reflash unless you put more air into the engine, all the slip ons do is make it louder and take more air out of the engine

Old 06-23-2007, 04:57 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Mine is fine with just SE2's, I think the Cycle Shack is very close to the SE2's so you should be fine. I would put them on and try it, you can always pull your plugs after a couple hundred miles to see how they look.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:10 PM
GringoLoco
Cruiser

UPDATE:

LMFAO!!! I called the little offshoot dealer to the main stealership that I was at today and heard this B.S. They said the same thing. I asked why 99% of apparently knowledgeable people online in the forums tend to disagree, and his response was "well they've been riding a long time, but we actually go to school for this for a year and a half." This guy also highly recommended AGAINST the mid-priced TFI deal that the other service counter jocket at the main stealership said was okay.... hmm.....

So, I called the stealership, sorry, DEALERSHIP (this time), up in Tukwila (about a 30 minute drive from me, but that's okay). My first question was how long of a wait time for parts I'd be looking at to do a race tune (since the local Tacoma stealer said 3 weeks), and he just kinda paused. Then he said, "did you have some custom pipes built or new heads or something?" I said no, I just want to toss on some Cycle Shack slip ons and a SE intake kit. He said "why the hell do you want to spend that much money just for that?" I literally LOL'd. I told him how my stealership blah blah blah, and he said "Destination Harley in Tacoma?" I LOL'd again. He put me on hold to consult with the other techs and make sure he wasn't wrong, came back, and said that they're all in agreement that the regular reflash download would work just fine for what I'm doing, as long as I'm not doing drastic exhaust mods, and to come in some time mid week and they'd set me up right away. He even told me to put the crap on myself to save the labor time, since it's so easy, lol. I think I found a new service department. The Tacoma guys are nice and all, but they're really trying to push the dyno time.

The guy I was talking to said that they recently got a guy from my local dealership, and everytime they get somebody in that says how my dealer insists on a race tune, and asks why, he has them ask the new guy. Apparently they're pushing to sell dyno time.

I'm off to install my Cycle Shacks......

Old 06-23-2007, 05:12 PM
GringoLoco
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: HOTLAP

Mine is fine with just SE2's, I think the Cycle Shack is very close to the SE2's so you should be fine. I would put them on and try it, you can always pull your plugs after a couple hundred miles to see how they look.
I'll be popping on a new A/C and getting the download likely on Tuesday or Wednesday. With our NW mixed weather forcast, I'll be lucky to put on 100 miles by then.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:24 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

From what I've read here, if you are only doing slip-ons like Cycle Shacks (not full pipes) and not doing the A/C the existing map is supposed to have enough margin to handle the change. The only downside is that even with stock everything the 07's are already running too lean. I'd give it a shot and if it's to lean get the SE A/C and do the re-flash.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:40 PM
F1J1
Tourer

Ewwww. I was going to slap on a set of Short Shots (no SE air cleaner, or nothin') without adding a Power Commander, but since the '07 is already lean....

Damnation. I'll keep a close eye on the plugs. You guys think I might be okay with this?

Old 06-23-2007, 07:19 PM
FKNDLX
Banned

No download needed, just don't change the airfilter unless you do the download.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:00 PM
GringoLoco
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: cHarley

From what I've read here, if you are only doing slip-ons like Cycle Shacks (not full pipes) and not doing the A/C the existing map is supposed to have enough margin to handle the change. The only downside is that even with stock everything the 07's are already running too lean. I'd give it a shot and if it's to lean get the SE A/C and do the re-flash.
I already plan on doing the SE A/C and reflash on Tuesday or Wednesday, I just wanted to make sure I'm okay for now with just the slip ons. I must say, now that they're on, the pipe music coming from them makes the bike seem so much quicker. Even though I'm sure it's just my imagination...

Old 06-24-2007, 11:44 AM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its funny how the guys in the parts dept know more than the service dept, I wonder if the service manager knows more about the parts dept, than the parts dept manager?

Tom

Quick Reply: Conflicting stories at stealership: slipons - remap or no remap?