Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pillions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 10:29 AM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 582 Posts
Default Pillions

Good morning, All. My most frequent riding buddy is my special needs son, who has Autism and is functionally non-verbal. He's great on the back of bike. In turns, he goes over with the bike. He waits until my feet go down at a stop before he takes his off of the pegs. He's just a wonderful passenger and enjoys going for rides.

Here's my problem. He can't really tell me whether he's comfortable or uncomfortable. Sure, there are obvious signs. Yesterday, we went for about a hundred miles out. At the end of outward bound leg, we stopped for ice cream and he was walking bowed legged. Now part of that might have been that I had him helping me hang concrete board for 8 hours the previous day, with him doing all of the heavy lifting and carrying. Or it could be the seat. Unfortunately, because he's non-verbal, he can't really tell me what's going on. I just have to guess.

Currently, I'm running a Sundowner on my '07 Custom, and he's been okay with it, for the most part. I'm looking at maybe getting a new seat -- maybe the Mustang touring seat. But my son spends a lot of time on the back of the bike as well, so I either want to get the best seat or pillion available for him since spends so much time on the bike with me.

Some of you folks are riding two up. What's the feedback you're getting from your passengers? Which seats do they seem to like better or best?

Old 09-17-2018, 11:55 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Would it help to have a short padded sissy bar he could lean back against?

I'm a special ed teacher, high school level. Good for you taking an active role in your son's life! Thank goodness we have progressed so far since I was a kid and they just shipped these children off to institutions. We have active and integrated special ed programs at our public high school. Good luck to parents with special needs kids finding a "private" school that will take on the burden and expense. Remember that in November. VOTE!

John

The following 3 users liked this post by John Harper:
cacomly (09-18-2018), Roni (09-20-2018), waterfordhunter (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Mborras1
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Great for you taking your boy out riding I have 3 girls who hate my bike so I doubt the will ever get on.
i personally have a Mustang wide with the the pillon
and a back rest that have had no passengers but looks comfy as hell.
You didn’t say how old your boy is but if it were me
I would look to a bigger bike that has all the passenger nesesitys so he can feel like a king on the back.
Chances are he will be your back seat buddy for life.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:05 PM
waterfordhunter
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
Would it help to have a short padded sissy bar he could lean back against?

I'm a special ed teacher, high school level. Good for you taking an active role in your son's life! Thank goodness we have progressed so far since I was a kid and they just shipped these children off to institutions. We have active and integrated special ed programs at our public high school. Good luck to parents with special needs kids finding a "private" school that will take on the burden and expense. Remember that in November. VOTE!

John
I agree completely with what John said.

My 12 yo daughter rides with me a good bit and is comfortable on the Mustang Vintage pillion that I have on the bike when she rides with me. That being said, as she is getting older and bigger, I'm seriously looking at a new Heritage with better passenger accommodations.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:36 PM
Oddman
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I finally bit the bullet and got the 2up Mustang wide vintage . the wife likes it much more than the other seat (the pillion portion is much wider than the old version). shes not complaining about fatigue on shorter trips (100 miles or less). I've got mixed feelings about it though. it seems a little odd, its much wider than the other two seats I have ( stock 2up seat and a drag specialties 2up). Im 6'3", 220 and it raised me up quite a bit and pushes my legs out a bit more than im used to. not uncomfortable, just odd

Old 09-17-2018, 02:39 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

generally, pillions are for short rides
anything farther than the local pub needs a better seat.
Mustang makes great products...that's my go to replacement seat...am on my 3rd one.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:02 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

There are three things that improve our comfort - tyres, suspension and seat. There are some ways in which your query affects many more of us, especially if say our wives like to ride along, but don't ride themselves, so are also dependent on us to a degree - to make them comfortable.

So consider those three things, but don't obsess about the seat. Next time you change tyres check out the more comfy ones - my choice is Avon and I've been using them on my Harleys since the 1970s. Most particularly consider new shocks, they can transform your ride quality more than anything else. Just call Howard at HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal and talk things through with him. He can supply custom-tuned Ohlins which will blow your mind! They ain't cheap, but you are after guaranteed results, after all - and Howard offers HDF members a decent discount.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:34 AM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 582 Posts

Thanks for the replies, folks. Starting from the top, in spite of his substantial disability, he's very competent and very involved when engaged. He really likes to do stuff because we've had him doing whatever he can to the extent that he can since he was small. To look at him, you would never expect that he can spend all day humping drywall up and down stairs or, like last weekend, humping concrete board up and down stairs for our bathroom remodel. He cooks, he cleans, he does all sorts of things with some supervision (and more than a little patience). More importantly, he likes to be involved with others. He craves friendship and interaction as much as any of us do. It's just too bad that nature has chosen leave him devoid of most social skills.

My son is full grown. He's 6'1", 32" inseam and 150 lbs. I admit that it looks kind of funny when he's on the bike because his legs are splayed pretty wide. I do have a low sissy bar and pad on the back of the bike, but it's not something I like to rely one. It's pretty solid but I don't think it's really designed to have his weight resting against it, so I encourage him to keep his weight as far forward has he can and will. I'm thinking of getting one of the mid height sissybars with a full width backrest.

As for the other comfort factors, some of the first upgrades to the scooter were Progressive 412 shocks and Progressive springs. I run Michelin Commander tires. The bike rides pretty smooth with both of us.

And, as for a bigger bike, as much as I would like to get one, unfortunately, there just isn't room in the household budget for that kind of purchase. Besides, for us, the hundred mile ride is the exception, not the rule. Mostly, we just make ice cream runs or the occasional 1-2 hour jaunt to the countryside and back.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Roni, you have something magic going on there with your son. If there is any way we can add to your riding pleasure.....