Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dudepants Rubbermount Short Chop

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 02:57 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior
Received 587 Likes on 330 Posts

Started cutting off the stock tank/seat mount on the top tube

Old 11-26-2018, 10:37 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Cut these down a bit more. Need to cap these off at some point

Got my rear fender from Lowbrow customs (made by Ledsled). It’s sized for stock size tires which I decided to stick with.

Smoothing out the top tube a bit more

Old 11-27-2018, 08:32 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Looks like my hardtail will show up tomorrow! SUPER EXCITED!!!

Old 11-27-2018, 05:41 PM
kuri77
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Keep at it. I'm diggin' the King tank in the first pic. I hope you keep it and don't switch to some goofy stretch tank or an old Honda hump looking tank. The King tank is classic chopper.
I liked it too but was really looking to keep the iconic peanut tank look. The King is reasonably close but really there are no tanks I found that are bigger and have the same classic peanut tank proportions. However, to get more gas in the tank I knew I'd have to budge somewhere. After lots of thinking and searching I came up with having to do a one-off. My friend who is a welder said he could keep the exact same lines while widening it to hold more gas. I told him if he could put at least 3 gal in it I'd go for that. So as you can see by the pics, it is an exact replica of a peanut tank from the side but from on the bike you can see it's been widened to hold the extra gallon. He just cut a wide slice out of both sides of another stock tank and welded them on to the sides of my stock tank. Just another option if you later decide you don't like what you were going with.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:50 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kuri77

I liked it too but was really looking to keep the iconic peanut tank look. The King is reasonably close but really there are no tanks I found that are bigger and have the same classic peanut tank proportions. However, to get more gas in the tank I knew I'd have to budge somewhere. After lots of thinking and searching I came up with having to do a one-off. My friend who is a welder said he could keep the exact same lines while widening it to hold more gas. I told him if he could put at least 3 gal in it I'd go for that. So as you can see by the pics, it is an exact replica of a peanut tank from the side but from on the bike you can see it's been widened to hold the extra gallon. He just cut a wide slice out of both sides of another stock tank and welded them on to the sides of my stock tank. Just another option if you later decide you don't like what you were going with.
thanks man, I might go that direction, although stopping a bit more frequently hasn’t really ever bothered me hahaha

that green is awesome by the way!

Old 11-28-2018, 05:46 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

My 1991 1200 has a stock 2.25 gallon tank. Back when she was my only bike and I toured on her, 90 miles was the range that you would hit the reserve. I always found that was a good time to get off a Sportster that you were jamming down and interstate on, and I had shocks. Just sayin', carry on.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:33 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Architect
My 1991 1200 has a stock 2.25 gallon tank. Back when she was my only bike and I toured on her, 90 miles was the range that you would hit the reserve. I always found that was a good time to get off a Sportster that you were jamming down and interstate on, and I had shocks. Just sayin', carry on.
Yeah that's kind of where I was going with it. Maybe with the hard tail a smaller tank is ideal for that reason (along with aesthetics)

Old 11-28-2018, 03:16 PM
kuri77
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dudepants
that green is awesome by the way!
Thanks, but pic doesn't even do it justice. It's heavily gold metal flaked and is blinding in the sun.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:25 PM
kuri77
Tourer

Dudepants and Architect,
If you're local riders only then small tank is better for looks since you can get gas anywhere. I like to get off long before tank is empty too but just driving around east of LA i've had too many "almost ran out of gas" situations with the 2.1 stock tank. However, if you go on the back roads and out of state a 140 mile range is way better when looking for open gas stations out in the sticks. I now carry a spare 1/2 gallon in my bag when I go far for extra insurance.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:05 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Hardtail arrived!

Quick Reply: Dudepants Rubbermount Short Chop