Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well does a 1200 Sportster do for 2 up riding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 07:38 AM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by traxi
some back roads with all of my friends on their jap bikes
Originally Posted by kokemill
05 sporty 1200 roadster.... only issue with it is it runs out of legs above 80, the dyna and RK are better at speed crossing big open spaces.
Originally Posted by Steve Sportster
Go for it. As stated, get a 2004+ sportster for the rubber mount. Good seats and upgraded suspension.
so reading between the lines, you need to realize that once your Jap bike friends find out your bike can't run over 75~80, they will make it a habit to walk away from you

a big twin will run up to about 105mph or so, so you can at least keep them in sight?
(buddy had a ZX14(?) and he could disappear.....)

truth is, once you find out how fun & comfy a RK is, you and the GF may spend more time pleasure riding than canyon ripping.

the rubber mount is MUCH better, go to a local used bike shop, and watch the mirrors vibrate while it idles

Old 02-15-2019, 07:39 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,736 Likes on 2,401 Posts

For me and my partner with a combined weight of 300lbs I think the Sportster does really well.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:54 AM
traxi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04ctd
so reading between the lines, you need to realize that once your Jap bike friends find out your bike can't run over 75~80, they will make it a habit to walk away from you

a big twin will run up to about 105mph or so, so you can at least keep them in sight?
(buddy had a ZX14(?) and he could disappear.....)
It's a good thing they're on mostly sv650s and fz07s lol. I'm well aware that they could walk away from me in a straight line, but we're rarely doing heavy highway miles. And at the times that we are, its generally to get out of the city to get to some nice roads, so the highways tend to have enough traffic to keep them from going too fast lol
Plus they're able to walk away from me on my current bike anyways so there wont be a huge change there

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 08:06 AM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

Some people just like Sportsters. That's why they make them. My Sportster will walk away from a big twin. It is way faster than I want to ride it. But its not stock. Its smooth with very little vibration at 75 to 80. The mirrors are clear as well. Its a joy to ride.

04ctd (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

As far as speed, 1200 sportster or Dyna, when you get in max cruising range (I've seen 90 on my 1200 for several freeway miles) you're also in big ticket range. When you get a Harley and your friends kid you about the dinosaur, talk them into a 4 hour ride. On the way home most of them would probably like to swap bikes, sport bike styling sucks for comfort. A really good rider on a Harley with pegs, not floorboards, can be a challenge for the average sport bike rider to keep up with in hard twisties. If he or she is average, too, the sport bike riders will stop for a beer while the Harley catches up. It's all about having fun. As you can see from some ages given in this thread, lot of us old farts like our comfort. At 71 I sure appreciate Harleys when I think about the multi state rides I took on a Honda 305 Superhawk in the '60s. My sportster would have been considered a top tier touring bike back then. And good handling. It's all relative, we just go with what feels good that we can afford.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:04 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

Yeah in the early 70s a guy I worked with rode a Honda CB350 twin from Tennessee to California and back and though nothing of it. People must be soft today. Yeah I'm fixing to be 75.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:53 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

It's a good thing they're on mostly sv650s and fz07s lol. I'm well aware that they could walk away from me in a straight line, but we're rarely doing heavy highway miles. And at the times that we are, its generally to get out of the city to get to some nice roads, so the highways tend to have enough traffic to keep them from going too fast lol
Plus they're able to walk away from me on my current bike anyways so there wont be a huge change there
You'll all be able to enjoy fine riding together at a happy pace for everyone, I'm sure.
When we rode in Italy we had to stop and wait for the FLH's and FLST's after a run through a mountain pass; I chose a BMW there.

04ctd (02-15-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 07:29 AM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Does the rubber mount make that much of a difference? Id like to keep cost down and I've heard that post '04 is substantially heavier
There is a lot more vibration in the handlebars and the pegs on the solid mount. Its not all gone on the rubber mount but it's rideable for long distance. I have many 1k days alone on the sporty. The trade-off is handling, as poor or a rider I am I can feel the slip in the mounts (shared by dyna and RK) that isn't there in my FZ1 or BMWs. For what I use it for, long distance x-country solo, the rubber mount with air shocks makes for a comfortable ride.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:44 AM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 04ctd
First a clarification, that 85 run out of legs is out in the prairie or desert alone. Or trying to pass tractor trailer running 85. In traffic with someone cutting the wind more speed is possible. Even your buddies bikes will ease the wind for you.

I also forgot that 3.5(?) tank on most models other than the custom. That means for me reserve at 97 miles, which turns out to be exactly when my wife needs to stop and take a break.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:50 PM
hammer6315
HDF Community Team
Received 196 Likes on 145 Posts

Does the rubber mount make that much of a difference? Id like to keep cost down and I've heard that post '04 is substantially heavier
~60lbs heavier

Quick Reply: How well does a 1200 Sportster do for 2 up riding?