Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help in choosing slip on exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 07:28 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

I ran street cannons when my bike was stock. I loved them. And they are louder than stock. They sound great to me. They would be my favorite slip ons for a stock bike. But then I don't like obnoxious loud mufflers. The Rush 1.75 slip ons I had were too loud. They are a very good performance muffler though.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:38 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Rush slip ons have a nice mellow deep tone. Get the ones with the smallest baffle and you will be relatively quiet compared to most other slip-ons, but still not has choked up sounding as the stock.
^^^that

I ran Rush with 2" and 2.25" baffles and they are quite loud, but a good deep tone loud, not the obnoxious loud. As Kevin mentioned 1.75" may suit you better. You can even add TTI's if it is still too loud...it will also help reduce reversion and smooth out the gaps in the power band as most stage 1 slip-on will have.

One thing you should consider is to make sure you get slip-ons that match your mount and crossover ports. I do not recall when HD moved the crossover ports to the head pipes but before that, it was on the mounting bracket so your slip-ons needed to have the ports as well..

Here is a thread just to hear the different types of exhaust systems/slip-ons....
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...nd-videos.html

Last edited by hscic; 03-12-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:15 AM
LithiumZero
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by apache snow
I ran street cannons when my bike was stock. I loved them. And they are louder than stock. They sound great to me. They would be my favorite slip ons for a stock bike. But then I don't like obnoxious loud mufflers. The Rush 1.75 slip ons I had were too loud. They are a very good performance muffler though.
They are louder than stock but to my ears sound identical to stock with a hole drilled in the baffle plug. Why spend hundreds of dollars on something you can have for less than $20 (free if you already own a step drill bit)

Old 03-13-2019, 10:57 AM
apache snow
Road Warrior

I guess if noise is the only thing important to you but that's not why I would buy a performance muffler.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:59 AM
LithiumZero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by apache snow
I guess if noise is the only thing important to you but that's not why I would buy a performance muffler.
if a street cannon is a performance muffler then a moped is a drag bike

Old 03-13-2019, 11:02 AM
apache snow
Road Warrior

Opinions vary. They will give a slight performance increase on a stock bike. I run a supertrapp on my 110 HP performance Harley. Its one of the quietest performance 2 into one on the market and not a bad performer either.

Last edited by apache snow; 03-13-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:11 AM
LithiumZero
Cruiser

Opinions vary facts don’t. The street cannon is nowhere near a performance muffler.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:20 AM
apache snow
Road Warrior

If it give an increase it is. I doubt poking holes in a baffle does any thing but increase noise but I digress. Oh and I get my facts from dyno runs. But its OK if you believe different.

Last edited by apache snow; 03-13-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:29 AM
LithiumZero
Cruiser

Apache your missing the entire point. The street cannon is sold to give a bit more rumble. No one with any sense at all would pretend that’s it’s a legitimate performance product. It’s simply not worth the price as as a performance product or a louder pipe. It sounds the same as a drilled muffler. If you have a dyno result for a stock sporty with a set of street cannons post it up. You’re arguing something that’s irrelevant to what I even said just for the sake of being your crotchety old self

Old 03-13-2019, 12:16 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior

You got the crotchety old self right. I never did get around to putting the bike on the dyno with just the street cannons on. Although Harley did back then advertise them as giving a performance boost. I ran them for about a week last year on my hopped up bike while waiting for my supertrapp to come in. I loved the sound of them but they ran out of power around 5000 rpm. The Rush mufflers gave really good power all the way to 7400 RPM as the supertrapp does. The Rush mufflers were way too loud for me. The police were beginning to watch me. I think when I get some other projects done I will send them to Hammer for Aaron to test and just see how good they are or are not. I'm betting they give a better boast than some may think. If I was running a stock bike that's what would be on it. Yeah I'm being too crotchety today. My rheumatoid arthritis is acting up. Have a good one.

Also I never do any thing for sound alone. Every thing I do is for performance. It does no good to put an all out performance muffler on a stock bike when the stock cams run out of juice around 5000 RPMs any way. Just my opinion.

Last edited by apache snow; 03-13-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Help in choosing slip on exhaust