Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How low do you run your oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Bcwalks2
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How low do you run your oil

New to Harley and currently have an 08' Nightster 1200. I have read/heard from numerous people that they run their oil low to avoid blow by of dirty air back into the crank case. I will be setting up an external breather system...But, how low do you all run your oil? I have heard people say they run with .5qt less than recommended. Any advice?

Old 03-12-2019, 12:24 PM
MikeRC
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I run mine half way up the dipstick when measured warm

Old 03-12-2019, 12:53 PM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 244 Posts

I run mine at the full mark, this is my 5th Sportster and I have never had a issue running the oil level there. If your getting alot of oil blow by, I doubt its from running the correct amount of oil.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:19 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Blow-by has nothing to do with the level of oil in the tank. If you have the tank too full, then you can get overflow from the tank itself.
Generally keep it half-way up the dipstick when warm.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:20 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

I run mine 3/4 of the way up and never had a problem.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:21 PM
JerseyDoug
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TStephen
Blow-by has nothing to do with the level of oil in the tank. If you have the tank too full, then you can get overflow from the tank itself.
Generally keep it half-way up the dipstick when warm.
Yep, I accidently overfilled the oil and it overflowed the tank on my 1200C. I siphoned off the excess.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:54 PM
181fsc
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 63 Posts

With my experience I disagree with some saying levels don't cause excessive blow by. If I run mine with the oil filled up to the full mark, my slobber box will fill up berry quickly if I'm running her hard and then it's down my pipes. I run mine a little above half on the safe mark and don't have the issue. Maybe its just mine but a buddy told me to try it and it works for me. Now long fast runs, I'll still make a little mess but not nearly as much.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:33 PM
Bcwalks2
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Going to do the oil soon on it and had seen different opinions. I’ll see how it does halfway up the dip stick.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:49 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by 181fsc
With my experience I disagree with some saying levels don't cause excessive blow by. If I run mine with the oil filled up to the full mark, my slobber box will fill up berry quickly if I'm running her hard and then it's down my pipes. I run mine a little above half on the safe mark and don't have the issue. Maybe its just mine but a buddy told me to try it and it works for me. Now long fast runs, I'll still make a little mess but not nearly as much.
I would say you may have other issues causing that. Bad umbrella valves maybe. My bike is 110 HP. I can put the level on the full mark and do 7400 rpm runs and wont have hardly any oil on the filter of my external breather. Know others that are the same.

Last edited by apache snow; 03-12-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:01 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,954 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Bcwalks2
New to Harley and currently have an 08' Nightster 1200. I have read/heard from numerous people that they run their oil low to avoid blow by of dirty air back into the crank case. I will be setting up an external breather system...But, how low do you all run your oil? I have heard people say they run with .5qt less than recommended. Any advice?
I don't run mine low at all. I run it where the manual says to, which is anywhere between the add oil mark and the midway to full mark. Of course, HD in their normal confusing way states that the best place to run the oil level is NOT at the full mark, but below it.

Information directly from the Harley Manual.

"If oil is at or below the lower mark, add only enough oil to bring the level to a point between the two arrows on the dipstick."

CAUTION
"Do not overfill the oil tank. Doing so can result in oil carryover to the air cleaner leading to equipment damage and/or equipment malfunction."

"Refer to table 25 . Always use the proper grade of oil for the lowest expected air temperature before the next scheduled oil change."

Also, to reduce the amount of "blow-by" run the viscosity oil recommended in your manual for the temps you are riding in.

External Breather Systems LINK

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 03-12-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Quick Reply: How low do you run your oil