Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brakes sticking after taking rear pedal loose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 02:11 PM
MahaloMoFo
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brakes sticking after taking rear pedal loose?

I just installed some new exhaust pipes, and in doing so, I had to remove the two bolts holding the rear brake pedal bracket. I dropped the bracket and pedal down to get clearance to remove the rear plate to the belt drive. I never took any brake lines loose or messed with the brakes in any way other than dropping the pedal out of the way. Now that everything is put back together, the rear brakes are sticking. They aren't completely locked up, but it's very hard to push the bike and you can hear them squealing. I've tried pumping both the front and rear brakes, as well as removing the master cylinder cover to let out any possible air bubbles. But nothing seems to work. I haven't taken the pedal back off yet. But is there anything else anyone can think of to cause this to happen? Thanks for any help.

2019 Iron 1200.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:54 AM
mick111112
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start where you dropped the pedal and see is it sticking and then check the same on the master cylinder set up. Have someone push the brake peddle for you while you watch the caliper piston movement, it should push out against the pad and disc and and then recede slightly.After having a similar problem with my rear caliper it turned out to be the caliper piston and caliper o rings needed replacing (you might get a way with cleaning). Before arriving at that solution I checked the pad springs in the caliper were installed correctly and replaced the brake fluid. Sometimes a small piece of dirt can stop the brake fluid returning to the reservoir after releasing the peddle. My own discs were heating on on short spins.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:50 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,736 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Retrace your steps, to the point of putting it all back as it was or with the exhaust off.

I had a modified interconnect bracket made that was just a little low and touched the lever the brake rod connects to. A little massage with the grinder took care of that.

If all was well before and based on your description something must now be fouling.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 05-08-2019 at 04:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MahaloMoFo (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 04:56 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,924 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Take it apart and redo it. I had made an adjustment to get my rear brake apply sooner.
And once the rotor heated up the brake fluid would expand and activate the brake, then be fine when it cooled.
Owner error.

The following users liked this post:
MahaloMoFo (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 12:01 PM
MahaloMoFo
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mick111112
I would start where you dropped the pedal and see is it sticking and then check the same on the master cylinder set up. Have someone push the brake peddle for you while you watch the caliper piston movement, it should push out against the pad and disc and and then recede slightly.After having a similar problem with my rear caliper it turned out to be the caliper piston and caliper o rings needed replacing (you might get a way with cleaning). Before arriving at that solution I checked the pad springs in the caliper were installed correctly and replaced the brake fluid. Sometimes a small piece of dirt can stop the brake fluid returning to the reservoir after releasing the peddle. My own discs were heating on on short spins.
Thanks for the reply. After taking off the rear caliper, I found out it wasn't the brakes at all. It was the rear cover to the pulley drive. I guess after removing the big bracket that holds the stock exhaust on, I need some spacers to keep from pulling the cover in too far. It was rubbing the pulley. So if I put any torque at all to that bottom bolt on that cover, it cinches it in too much. Just going to have to get some washers to act as spacers I guess. Or else that bolt is going to come out for sure.