Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Error code b2161 (brake lamp output open)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 10:18 PM
TimmyPage
Road Captain
Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Error code b2161 (brake lamp output open)

Hey everyone, I have a 2017 Iron and gave it the genuine Harley chopped fender edge light LED in 2017 (not dealer installed). It was fine in 2017. In 2018, I got the red speedo light a few times with b2161. Now the red light is on 90% of the time and always for b2161, even if I clear the code, it comes back soon after. The taillight works fine when I press on either brake lever/pedal.

Has anyone experienced this and is there a fix? I know about turn signal hyper flash on older models and that a load equalizer was needed. Is something similar needed for an LED brake light?

Rear lights: Harley chopped fender edge light, Kuryakyn LED turn signal bulbs (turn signals only).
Front lights: Harley Daymaker, Custom Dynamics LED turn signals.
All other LEDs were installed well before the brake light and I never had any codes from them.

Cheers

Old 06-13-2019, 09:26 AM
TimmyPage
Road Captain

Nobody?

Old 06-14-2019, 08:42 PM
Iron X
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have a nicked wire? Maybe the wire is making contacting across a sharp spot on the frame? I'd inspect the entire wire pretty closely. I once pinched my turn signal/tail light wire between the tire and fender going over a bump. One wire was cut in half, another was chaffed pretty bad. I didn't realize it during a few hour ride until a buddy was behind me and it worked sometimes, other time it wouldn't.

The following users liked this post:
TimmyPage (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 10:58 AM
TimmyPage
Road Captain

Thanks. I already dropped the rear tire and checked that.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:57 AM
Lion Duf
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Problem b2161

Originally Posted by TimmyPage
Hey everyone, I have a 2017 Iron and gave it the genuine Harley chopped fender edge light LED in 2017 (not dealer installed). It was fine in 2017. In 2018, I got the red speedo light a few times with b2161. Now the red light is on 90% of the time and always for b2161, even if I clear the code, it comes back soon after. The taillight works fine when I press on either brake lever/pedal.

Has anyone experienced this and is there a fix? I know about turn signal hyper flash on older models and that a load equalizer was needed. Is something similar needed for an LED brake light?

Rear lights: Harley chopped fender edge light, Kuryakyn LED turn signal bulbs (turn signals only).
Front lights: Harley Daymaker, Custom Dynamics LED turn signals.
All other LEDs were installed well before the brake light and I never had any codes from them.

Cheers
I don't speak English, but I will try to show how I solved this problem.

I just checked the operation of the front brake switch, it lacked adjustment because it is worn out by friction with the handle. I placed a small wedge between the back of this switch and the inside of the control box on the right side of the handlebar and it worked very well. I am happy. I hope this solution helps someone else.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:51 PM
Derek1
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever sort this out I just installed led brake and turn signals and same issue. I have a Canadian 2018 road glide and get code B2161 after I touch the brake lever

Old 05-12-2020, 08:18 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,736 Likes on 2,401 Posts

The way it works is the BCM decodes CAN bus data and powers the device. On the bus will be the data to turn on a turn signal or turn on the brake light. If the lights come on the switches on the bike must be working so don't look to change those.

The indicators are well documented and you should be able to find an HD guide on that.

I have not seen a similar guide for the stop lamp. The HD installation guide gives no hint with their own LED lamp.

You could try getting a 10 ohm resistor and put that across the power and negative of the stop lamp and see if that clears the error.

The value is chosen such that a stop light is around 20W. 20W / 12V = 1.7 Amps. 12V / 1.7A = 7ohm. I am just guessing that 10ohm might be okay as the led will also be drawing some current. 1.2Amps will flow through the resistor so it is going dissipate 14W. It will need to be a quite large wire wound type but for a test a 5W wire wound will do. It will get very hot but should be okay to prove if it is the correct solution.

The following users liked this post:
TimmyPage (09-18-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 10:42 PM
TimmyPage
Road Captain

I have not sorted it out, just learned to live with it, but I am going to see a Harley tech friend this weekend and will ask him to take a look at it.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:50 PM
Batsy
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimmyPage
I have not sorted it out, just learned to live with it, but I am going to see a Harley tech friend this weekend and will ask him to take a look at it.
Hey,

Do u have any news? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-29-2020, 09:06 PM
TimmyPage
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Batsy
Do u have any news?
Nada. His only suggestion was to clear the code and put the four-ways on for 30 seconds with the engine off. Didn't work.

Quick Reply: Error code b2161 (brake lamp output open)