Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get the speed right in traffic .

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 04:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Midpegs
Does anyone else feel this way about their Sportster ? I love my bike , it accelerates well , it slows down well and it gets down the road in a most pleasing fashion . On the open road I can ride all day long with a stupid grin on my face . BUT there is one thing that my bike just won't do and that's to exactly match and maintain the speed of another vehicle . If I'm stuck in moving traffic or behind a car on a narrow road , my bike just doesn't seem to know whether it's speeding up or slowing down . I try experimenting with different gears but in the end I find myself slipping the clutch in order to perfectly match the speed of the vehicle in front . How you guys manage to ride in groups is a mystery to me . Years ago I rode a couple of TL 1000's and it was exactly the same . I could accelerate like a rocket and stand the thing on its nose but try to behave myself in traffic and it was all over the place . So is this just a big V Twin thing or is there anything I can do to fine tune my bike ? I've got a carb version ( XL 1200 R ) which allegedly has a " Thunder Slide " in it . Any views most welcome .
Hello old chap. I've been riding for over 50 years, Harleys for more than 40 and have never had that problem! If you feel the need to slip the clutch then you are probably in too high a gear and are certainly doing something wrong. Be assured it's nothing to do with being a V-twin! You should look for videos of Police and other US services doing their synchronised riding displays, which are quite something to see, especially in the flesh. No problems for them, although they obviously practice a lot, something I suggest you do!

Does your bike have a tacho? Do you have the owners manual? That spells out riding speeds, which will serve as a useful starting point.

The following users liked this post:
JimmyL (10-10-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 04:46 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,625 Likes on 3,001 Posts

I've ridden bikes in the past that the throttle was almost like a light switch, on or off. Made for a difficult time to hold a steady speed. Possible that you have a mixture problem when transitioning from the pilot jet to the main jet?

Old 10-08-2019, 05:11 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,979 Likes on 3,051 Posts

Sounds like idles too high and throttle cables aren't adjusted properly as in too tight no play as well as wrong gear.
Also if you're in stop and go traffic, just because the car in front of you moves a foot doesn't mean you have to move up a foot.
Plus you guys talk funny. Kind of uppity like you should be riding Ducati's and BMW's and wearing a really tight spandex jumpsuit..

Old 10-08-2019, 05:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Sounds like idles too high and throttle cables aren't adjusted properly as in too tight no play as well as wrong gear.
Good point, I learned a long time ago to slacken off the throttle cables.

Plus you guys talk funny.
That's a bit rich, coming from across the 'pond'!

Kind of uppity like you should be riding Ducati's and BMW's
Some of us have done that and moved on!

and wearing a really tight spandex jumpsuit..
We do that under our 'colors'....

Old 10-08-2019, 07:17 AM
bobg03
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

In before it goes south.....

Old 10-08-2019, 07:38 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,117 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
I've ridden bikes in the past that the throttle was almost like a light switch, on or off. Made for a difficult time to hold a steady speed. Possible that you have a mixture problem when transitioning from the pilot jet to the main jet?
That's definitely something I'll be investigating . I might try a stock slide in it to begin with .

Old 10-08-2019, 07:56 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,739 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Midpegs
That's definitely something I'll be investigating . I might try a stock slide in it to begin with .
You may have to get a proper needle, emulsion tube and Keihin mainjet if you go back to stock slide. Or, if you have Dynojet needle, just swap over to the new slide. The Dynojet needle, emulsion tube, and mainjet are not the same as the stock carburetor. Pilot jets are the same. There is a different thread size for the Dynojet mainjet in the emulsion tube.

John

Old 10-08-2019, 08:58 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior
Received 590 Likes on 330 Posts

I would also agree on the point of making sure the throttle cables are adjusted correctly. I sued to have mine set with little-to-no freeplay and it was definitely more difficult to hold at an RPM. That and practice. I came from Honda parallel twins and the grunt of a V-twin took some getting used to.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:08 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,115 Likes on 17,553 Posts

Some basics of a harley for those having low speed handling issues, first being these things are geared for low vibrations at higher speeds which means HD deliberately geared them to keep RPM's low.

Around town in traffic this will cause the surging a lot of you seem to be struggling with. You got 2 options first and simplest is learn to drop down a gear lower and get the rpm's up. Most don't like that because they think they are racing or revving the engine too much. Couldn't be further from the truth, these bikes like being in the power band up over 2800 rpms.

Second is change the trans sprocket to one tooth smaller, that will move your shifting points to a more comfortable zone for those who can't get their heads around using the gear box more. Down side is you will lose some of that comfortable highway speed, you'll pick up more RPM's and more vibration at higher speeds.

Here's your choices, pick one.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:38 AM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 933 Posts

I think this issue needs some clarification from the OP. At first I read this as trying to keep up in slow traffic like 25 mph or so. Slipping the clutch under these circumstances would be weird. But after reading further if you're talking about the 0-15mph stop n go type traffic,...then yeah, you're going to be working the clutch as 1st gear in the rpm range where you need to do this speed is outside of the Sporties happy range. Even manual cars require a lot of clutch work in super slow traffic.

Quick Reply: Can't get the speed right in traffic .