Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get the speed right in traffic .

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 10:19 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,081 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Midpegs
No it is not . I have ridden bikes for Forty years but I have only ridden a Harley Davidson V Twin for the last six months . How dare you make such a nasty and ridiculous suggestion . I have made a similar post on a leading UK Sportster dedicated FB page and I have received a unanimous chorus of agreement from fellow riders .Perhaps your passion for Drag Racing has caused you to forget what it is like to ride in slow traffic. So, if you have nothing constructive to add to this discussion you would be well advised not to contribute . Troll indeed ! that's just bad manners .

how dare I give my opinion lmao

Old 10-08-2019, 10:21 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

The grenade plate was finally mentioned, and on your older carb sportster, that is something to think about. I pulled my '04 1200C's plates at right close to 30,000 miles (48,000+ kilometers) and the rivets were very loose; I'm glad I got rid of that before a clutch abusing ride in the Black Hills last year (so much shifting my ankle got sore, not used to that in the flat state I live in). That plate just isn't necessary, mine actually felt smoother without it, although loose rivets could have affected the feel of the original. That's my grandson in the sig pic putting the primary cover back on after I installed the new plates (a bit young then for a clutch change )

While keeping the rpm in a happy place should help, in really slow, always speeding up and slowing down traffic, you will have to use the clutch a lot sometimes, probably more so than any other bike, even the big twin Harleys handle it better but sometimes they need some of that clutch work in congested traffic, too (or behind slowpokes that can't drive a steady speed). My '89 Tour Glide could get down around 2000 rpm and throttle back up smoothly, but in 1st and 2nd gear, my 1200 won't without the clutch.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:26 AM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 215 Likes on 193 Posts

OP, it seems you have the international version of the XL1200R, so your transmission pulley is a 30T sprocket (PN 40380-04). That means your bike is higher geared than the US version that most of your critics here ride.

I have that same PN and when going 15mph or slower, I HAVE to be in 1st and I'm always using the clutch. I go into 2nd gear at around 25 until well past 30mph.

I'm fine and you'll be fine too. With our gearing, highway riding is a blast as you undoubtedly already found out.

So. Ignore the naysayers here. Some of them are talking outta their obamas (and I don't mean brains).

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Some basics of a harley for those having low speed handling issues, first being these things are geared for low vibrations at higher speeds which means HD deliberately geared them to keep RPM's low.

Around town in traffic this will cause the surging a lot of you seem to be struggling with. You got 2 options first and simplest is learn to drop down a gear lower and get the rpm's up ...
Too true.
Originally Posted by mrhammer2u
... if you're talking about the 0-15mph stop n go type traffic,...then yeah, you're going to be working the clutch as 1st gear ...
^^^^^^^
That

Last edited by lewk; 10-08-2019 at 10:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Midpegs (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 10:29 AM
Rsbenden
Tourer

Received 256 Likes on 126 Posts

Drop a gear n run higher rpm.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:46 AM
lewk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rsbenden
Drop a gear n run higher rpm.
Probably already in 1st gear

Old 10-08-2019, 11:01 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Grbrown
I beg to differ with you. Ask those motor police doing those displays and I guarantee you they will tell you they are using the friction zone of the clutch AND the brake at the same time. That is how they are able to crawl those big bikes. Watch carefully next time and see that their brake lights are almost constantly on.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 2,421 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by handirifle
Grbrown
I beg to differ with you. Ask those motor police doing those displays and I guarantee you they will tell you they are using the friction zone of the clutch AND the brake at the same time. That is how they are able to crawl those big bikes. Watch carefully next time and see that their brake lights are almost constantly on.
A trailing brake goes without saying, if appropriate. It's not clear that the OP is talking about such slow speeds as the display teams ride at, but I stand corrected! They do plenty of practice, never-the-less!

Old 10-08-2019, 11:31 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Agree 100% on the practice. But imperfect practice will still net imperfect riding. Practicing perfect technique will net perfect riding. Clutch friction zone and rear brake will allow safe u turns, low speed obstacle avoidance, you name it.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:22 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,117 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhammer2u
I think this issue needs some clarification from the OP. At first I read this as trying to keep up in slow traffic like 25 mph or so. Slipping the clutch under these circumstances would be weird. But after reading further if you're talking about the 0-15mph stop n go type traffic,...then yeah, you're going to be working the clutch as 1st gear in the rpm range where you need to do this speed is outside of the Sporties happy range. Even manual cars require a lot of clutch work in super slow traffic.
No not really , what I'm talking about is trying to maintain an exact speed of say for example 40 miles an hour . Not 41 and not 39 , exactly 40 . The bike is doing one of two things , speeding up or slowing down . What it does not want to do is remain at a constant speed . Of course the obvious thing to do is yank on the throttle and overtake the slow vehicle but that is not always a safe option on the minor roads of rural Warwickshire , Oxfordshire and Wiltshire where I do a lot of my riding . At higher speeds on the open highway such as 70,80, 90 or even a hundred + the bike is brilliant and will hold a constant steady speed without issues . It's just that middle ground where you are having to restrict the bikes natural eagerness to accelerate that feels so uncomfortable .

Last edited by Midpegs; 10-08-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:33 PM
lewk
Road Warrior

Gosh I hate it when madnss is right...

Quick Reply: Can't get the speed right in traffic .