Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My lovely Sportster rear-ended

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:59 AM
Simon UK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My lovely Sportster rear-ended

Got rear-ended by a car on the way home from work yesterday. I was in heavy traffic approaching a roundabout where an accident had recently occurred (one car had rear-ended anotherquite hard) and, just as I was next in line to enter the roundabout, an ambulance came around it, blue lights flashing, to attend the crashed vehicles. I stopped, but the guy behind in a large 4x4 didn't and ran into/over the rear of the bike. My lovely new Sportster crunched, with only 149 miles on the clock!

To add to my misery, the bloke in the 4x4, having helped liftthe bike off me and get it upright, then drove off. I made a note of the vehicleregistration number and gave this to the police who arrived, about a minute later, to investigate the first accident. They ran it through their computer and came back with the fact that the vehicle is effectively not currently registered (they only have details of former keepers but no current keeper details) and is uninsured and on the road illegally. B**tard!! If anyone in the South East of England (or anywhere else for that matter) has any information on a green 4x4 with registration number BV52 ZTG please send me a personal message via this forum.

Most importantly, I am absolutely fine. My foot was initially trapped under the rear passenger footrest but, thanks to the fact I was wearing astout pair of hiking boots with extremely firm ankle support, was not injured and actually served the useful purpose of helping to prop the bike up so it didn't actually fall on to the tarmac. The bike is at my local dealership awaiting a visit from the insurance assessor. Hopefully they'll find that nothing major has been bent, and the damage can be easily repaired.

[IMG]local://upfiles/35269/510EC7FF02E04E80ACD75785C20B68E2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-19-2007, 07:25 AM
EzRyder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My lovely Sportster rear-ended

ORIGINAL: Simon UK

Most importantly, I am absolutely fine. My foot was initially trapped under the rear passenger footrest but, thanks to the fact I was wearing astout pair of hiking boots with extremely firm ankle support, was not injured and actually served the useful purpose of helping to prop the bike up so it didn't actually fall on to the tarmac.

Glad to hear you are okay -- that is the IMPORTANT thing. Regarding the SOB you hit and ran off, know anyone who has a 50 gallon vat we can boil some oil in.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:54 AM
agedwards63
Road Master

I got rear ended and knocked 15 feet into the middle of an intersectionon my 883c definately not fun glad you werent injured

Old 07-19-2007, 08:20 AM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you are OK. If the only damage is what is in your picture it looks to be a simple fix. I don't know how parts availability is over there but it looks like you will be back on your Sporty soon.

Mark

Old 07-19-2007, 08:24 AM
TheKingsOutlaw
Cruiser

Wow! Glad you weren't hurt. It could have been a lot worse.

TKO

Old 07-19-2007, 08:36 AM
jaktexas
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Man that sucks, need to find him and take him out back. Glad your ok, the bike can be fixed.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:55 AM
bigtop1
Road Master

Your description of the incident is admirable. Glad you came out of it OK. Too bad the other guy was such an idiot of irresponsibility. Don't get discouraged. Than goodness for insurance in this case. Without any exchange of information from this guy, you can call it a hit and run.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:15 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

Glad you're OK! Not to condone what he did or anything, but at least he made sure you were OK before driving off. So many times these hit-and-run drivers leave people for dead. That said, I hope you find the bastard. [:@]

BTW, I hope you realize you have raised the bar for "I was in an accident" threads, by providing pics.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Dale Franks
Road Captain

Wow. Thank goodness you're OK.

I hope the local constabulary is able to track down the idiot who hit you.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Drodd8
Tourer

+1 on your being uninjured. Sorry your bike is in shop as the result of an a$$hole[:@] Hope they track him down.

Quick Reply: My lovely Sportster rear-ended