Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

miss my sporty

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 12:31 AM
poppa cooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default miss my sporty

for those of you who are thinking you need a bigger bike, wrong, i traded my 04 1200c for a 07 ultra and wish i would of kept it. that 1200 cornered so much better, the ultra is nice but dang it i miss my sporty.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:48 AM
sgt joseph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: miss my sporty

There certainly is alot to say about good handling qualities being a BIG PLUS for a motorcycle......A sportster is a great handling vee twin motorcycle......And its certainly in its element for most local type riding......I guess if we all could have 2 bikes, it would be a sporty and then sumtin bigger for long trips!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:57 AM
ionate
Road Captain

I am always thinking about getting a different bike, but because of posts like this I still haven't decided for sure if I am going to get out of the Sporty line or not. I take S-curves on my Sporty like there's no tomorrow- it's a blast to ride!

I'll be buying something new within the next year or so and I've been keeping an eye out on the super and wide glides.

Do you think I'll be wishing the same thing (should have kept the sporty)?

Maybe I'll still hold out for that black 1200C that I've been wanting for years and years and years and years now....

Old 08-20-2007, 01:05 PM
bdavis
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll have to disagree. I am able to corner faster and more smoothly with my Street Glide than I am with my Sportster. Maybe it is just because I am more comfortable with the fat front tire, but it seems to handle much better.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:19 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree about the Sporty, but some folks can ride those Touring bikes better than I can throw my Sporty through the twistys. I have a neighbor that is a motorcycle cop. He and I occasionally ride together (him on his personal Ultra, not the police bike). Geeze, can he ride that thing!!!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:29 PM
BLKXL12C
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with bdavis the Glide that I had handled great but as far as the fun factor the sportster wins hands down.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:41 PM
niided
Advanced

ORIGINAL: ionate

I am always thinking about getting a different bike, but because of posts like this I still haven't decided for sure if I am going to get out of the Sporty line or not. I take S-curves on my Sporty like there's no tomorrow- it's a blast to ride!

I'll be buying something new within the next year or so and I've been keeping an eye out on the super and wide glides.

Do you think I'll be wishing the same thing (should have kept the sporty)?

Maybe I'll still hold out for that black 1200C that I've been wanting for years and years and years and years now....
Hey Ionate, you should really think about keeping the Sporty and buying a used big/twin. With the glut of Sportsters on the market nowadays, you will get almost zilch for your Sporty, and for the same reason, there are a lot of big twins to be had at bargain prices. Bikes are just not selling and not commanding the prices that they once did. Bought myself a cherry 2000 RK bagger and mint 04 1200c within the last year off EBAY. Totally satisfied ! Can't beat the RK for long distance 2 up touring; but for around town shorter rides the Sporty has the RK beat hands down. BTW I probably ride the Sportster 75% of the time. One more thing, if you keep the Sporty, you could look for one of the bigger bagger bikes instead of a Dyna, which may not be a bad idea. Anyway, just saying...
For long distance travel w/the missus

For kick ***, ear to ear grinning, around town zipping, this is the real deal

Old 08-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Sportie! I agree. If I ever get a touring bike, I'm gonna keep the Sportie.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:01 PM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I felt the same way after trading in my 05 1200 custom sporty for an 05 Electra Glide Classic. Truth be told your gonna grow to love the bigger bike but you'll always miss the fun tear *** factor of the sportster. You really need both if ypou could swing it but you'll grow to enjoy the big bike once you realize that you can throw it around too but if it bites back its less forgiving and not going to correct like dirt bike would.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:00 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a SuperGlide... ElectraGlide and a few Sportsters...

Hell... all motorcycles are fun...

I don't do a lot of long distance riding now, so the Sportster serves me well...

Then again I've got three more years and I'm gonna retire and ride... guess I'm gonna have to put back on the sissy bar to hang some storage bags on... I hates the bags... so a bigger bike wouldn't do me much good in that area, seeing how I'd rip'em off anyway... but it may be worth it for the ride...

Who knows what the future holds...[8D]

Charlie D.

Quick Reply: miss my sporty