Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XL1200X Mods for 1200 mile trip - New to HD!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 09:58 AM
kirkfrancis
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XL1200X Mods for 1200 mile trip - New to HD!

Bought a 48 from Missouri and currently reside in Florida. My first REAL Harley. Had a Buell Blast for couple of months after getting my endorsement and traded that in on an Indian Scout Bobber (ISB). Been riding the Buell and three Indian Motorcycles (Scout Bobber, Springfield, & Chieftain) since December 2018 and have approximately 45K miles logged so far. I Plan to ride the 48 home in less than a month.

What mods would you consider for this 1200 mile ride? With your comment, please provide some context to your experience. There are folks that cannot ride my ISB for more than 10 miles without complaining and I have the Fox Shock upgrade!

Having gone on a 6K miles in 10 days on the ISB with a stock seat and Fox Shocks, my perspectives may be a bit different from most. I still developed saddle sore around 4K miles in while coming back home in the middle of Texas. Want to avoid that again, it was truly a pain in my butt. So I am looking from perspectives from folks that have gone some distance, more than 1000 miles on a single trip with a 48.

Figure I will be stopping a lot, probably won't even make 100 miles per stop as this tank is even smaller than the ISB. So I will get plenty of breaks from riding just on the fuel stops. I am wanting to upgrade both seat and shocks but considering it is only 1200 miles would it be ok with just the stock shocks and seat!? I do weigh 265 so yes, I will look like a big gorilla on a tricycle coming down the road! I've heard it all with Ixchel so go ahead if you must. Will the stock shocks handle a big gorilla?

My seat options are a Mother Roads Customs tractor seat or a HD Sundowner seat. I am not sure if I like the look of either one, the HD Sundowner is definitely one with great reviews but ugly as hell. For shocks I am looking at the Legend Revo-A shocks. The luggage rack will be an Amazon special and sissy bay may be the same, plan to order and have shipped to Missouri and will install once I get there with some Hazard Fraud tools.

Thanks for your input!

Kirk

Old 05-15-2024, 10:34 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,447 Likes on 5,730 Posts

First things I would change before a long trip would be the seat, the bars, and the shocks.

Seat and bars are the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can make on a Harley IMO. For a seat I swear by the Mustang Wide Touring seat and the Harley Sundowner, in that order. Ive run both of those seats on a few bikes after trying several others, and to me they are the most comfortable seats on the market.

As for bars I would go with some mild apes. I currently have a set of mini apes off a Street Bob/Wide Glide on my Dyna and they are very comfortable.

Of course everyone is different so take it for what it is. You may think my preferences suck.

Edit- I just noticed your comment about how ugly the seats are. I've found that when it comes to seats, comfortable and cool are two totally different things. I've never found a seat that looks great and is all day comfortable at the same time. And besides, you wont be able to see it when you're going down the road and sitting on it.

Last edited by Bubba Zanetti; 05-15-2024 at 10:37 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bubba Zanetti:
downzero (05-15-2024), John Ha (05-15-2024), Rob Roy's Revenge (05-15-2024), Wagondog (05-16-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 12:30 PM
kirkfrancis
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate that confirmation on the seats. Bars, great tip! I just thought trying to get that done on my own may be a bit beyond my equipment and time. And I agree, that bars will get your body in a good position.

Old 05-15-2024, 12:37 PM
Orng48
Supporter
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by kirkfrancis
What mods would you consider for this 1200 mile ride? I Plan to ride the 48 home in less than a month.
It's not the ideal long distance type of bike, but still, I'm thinkin' you could probably ride the 1,200 miles in less than a week...

Welcome...and enjoy. I'm well pleased with my '16 Forty Eight...

Old 05-15-2024, 01:41 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,554 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I agree those drag bars on the 48 are not ideal on long trips, although the ISB is somewhat the same config. Also, those hurricane-force winds on the highway will eventually beat you up at the end of each days ride. You can probably get away with the stock seat but get an Airhawk to soften up the ride a bit. Then get the seat you want later. Although you survived 6K miles on the ISB, it has 1 1/4gal more of gas than the 48, so you'll be stopping more often.

When I first got my Sporty Custom, I rode that from NC to FL a few times and to the 4-corners with some riding buddies. I changed the bars so I sit more upright and got a quick-detached windshield. Those changes made those ride much more "comfortable".

Old 05-15-2024, 05:01 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,762 Likes on 1,212 Posts

They don't look like drag bars to me, more like the standard "sport" bars. I don't think you need to change the bars at all. Changing seat is one bolt, changing the bars is something you can do when you get the bike to home base in FL. I'd just ride it home as is, and spend money later. There is no reason to race home is there? Take a few days, enjoy the new ride and the scenery.

You can also check the preload on the shocks and stiffen it up if you think you're bottoming out. Maybe it can be set more firmly.

Sounds like you're a really big guy, perhaps an FX model might be a future upgrade? That little Buell Blast must have given it's all.

That's a real good looking bike you bought, enjoy!

John

Last edited by John Harper; 05-15-2024 at 06:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TexasScooterTrash (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 06:22 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,244 Likes on 764 Posts

A 1200 EVO Sportster really doesn't need anything except a place to stick the bungee hooks for yer travel bag. 1200 miles is a cake walk. I went on a 2400 mile (3 days riding) from Chicago, IL to Oceanside CA . . . AND back home, another 1200 miles. That was on a 1972 XLCH 1000. ENJOY THE RIDE and the sights. It will be memorable!

Old 05-15-2024, 06:37 PM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,959 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
First things I would change before a long trip would be the seat, the bars, and the shocks.

Seat and bars are the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can make on a Harley IMO. For a seat I swear by the Mustang Wide Touring seat and the Harley Sundowner, in that order. Ive run both of those seats on a few bikes after trying several others, and to me they are the most comfortable seats on the market.

As for bars I would go with some mild apes. I currently have a set of mini apes off a Street Bob/Wide Glide on my Dyna and they are very comfortable.

Of course everyone is different so take it for what it is. You may think my preferences suck.

Edit- I just noticed your comment about how ugly the seats are. I've found that when it comes to seats, comfortable and cool are two totally different things. I've never found a seat that looks great and is all day comfortable at the same time. And besides, you wont be able to see it when you're going down the road and sitting on it.
I had mini apes and forwards on my Sportster and I have the same on my Dyna. I still would rather slam my nuts in a car door than ride it for 1200 miles. Call me a sissy, but for touring, the touring frames are where it's at. They're best sellers for a reason. The apes and forwards did make it more bearable for a 400 mile day but that was about my limit.

Best upgrades besides seats and bars? Heated grips, tour pak, and most importantly of all, cruise control!

Old 05-16-2024, 02:41 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Find posts by cacomly. He rides his Sportster hundreds if not thousands of miles in very short order.

Old 05-16-2024, 06:26 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,447 Likes on 5,730 Posts

Originally Posted by downzero
I had mini apes and forwards on my Sportster and I have the same on my Dyna. I still would rather slam my nuts in a car door than ride it for 1200 miles. Call me a sissy, but for touring, the touring frames are where it's at. They're best sellers for a reason. The apes and forwards did make it more bearable for a 400 mile day but that was about my limit.

Best upgrades besides seats and bars? Heated grips, tour pak, and most importantly of all, cruise control!
Forward controls are another thing I would eliminate. I've owned a few bikes with forwards and I've never been able to get a comfortable riding position with them. I'm 5'10 with a 30 inch inseam and the forward controls have me sitting directly on my tail bone. With mid controls my weight is dispersed evenly across my butt cheeks and the back of my thighs.
I doubt OP wants to tackle changing forward controls while out on the road, but if it were me, I'd ditch them as soon as I had a chance to once he got home.

Quick Reply: XL1200X Mods for 1200 mile trip - New to HD!