Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignorant people

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Batley
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ignorant people

ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

ORIGINAL: JayStronghawk

Ride with a lot of the Bigger twins Riders,for the most part great people to be around and to them a Harley is a Harley ... For the Few that put on the smear or act superior they don't usually stay the course long .. Give one enough rope they hang theirselves every time ..

[IMG]local://upfiles/48672/727AFBD8DA744F4D9E040ADCE7C96157.jpg[/IMG]
Wholeheartedly agreed. Also I have never had anyone tear down me or my bike verbally. The most common response is "that's a SPORTSTER??" with significant praise immediately folowing. I carry myself well and am pretty known in my circles. I get nothing but respect from other riders. I find that it's generally not the bike they are intending to rip on... it's the bike's owner.
I think most of the time it is the bike's owner. For whatever reason its a way to rip on somebody. Sounds like half the time the person slinging thecoments doesn't know much about Harley's in general

Old 01-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Batley

ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

ORIGINAL: JayStronghawk

Ride with a lot of the Bigger twins Riders,for the most part great people to be around and to them a Harley is a Harley ... For the Few that put on the smear or act superior they don't usually stay the course long .. Give one enough rope they hang theirselves every time ..

[IMG]local://upfiles/48672/727AFBD8DA744F4D9E040ADCE7C96157.jpg[/IMG]
Wholeheartedly agreed. Also I have never had anyone tear down me or my bike verbally. The most common response is "that's a SPORTSTER??" with significant praise immediately folowing. I carry myself well and am pretty known in my circles. I get nothing but respect from other riders. I find that it's generally not the bike they are intending to rip on... it's the bike's owner.
I think most of the time it is the bike's owner. For whatever reason its a way to rip on somebody. Sounds like half the time the person slinging thecoments doesn't know much about Harley's in general
True enough!

Old 01-14-2008, 04:40 PM
x2lee
Banned

I disagree a lot on lifespans of bikes... Theres no comparisons on most bikes to the lifespans of harleys...
Cheap plastic and cheap components dont make for good longevity. As a reference, check around for 1969 model bikes and see what
makes and how manyturns up. Harley out does ALL the other bikes in this respect.

And an edit for an add on, same goes for cars... America builds them a lot stronger.
ORIGINAL: chornbe

A727... you might have just made the most logical post I've ever seen. *applause*

When others pay for my bikes THEN their opinions will matter. Yeah, you should hear the ribbing I take for owning Harleys; most of the guys I ride with are on bikes that are technically "better" in every way; faster, handle better, cheaper, probably 2x the reliability and lifespan (tho' that's really hard to quantify), lighter, and in some cases, perhaps more comfortable.

Meanwhile, I keep up just fine and some of them still enjoy swapping out the bikes when we're out riding. *thumbs up*

Old 01-14-2008, 06:41 PM
riverman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those who think they know everything, annoy the hell out of those of us who actually do.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:33 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Everyone knows Norton's are the real girl's bikes

Old 01-14-2008, 08:32 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: x2lee

I disagree a lot on lifespans of bikes... Theres no comparisons on most bikes to the lifespans of harleys...
Cheap plastic and cheap components dont make for good longevity. As a reference, check around for 1969 model bikes and see what
makes and how many turns up. Harley out does ALL the other bikes in this respect.

And an edit for an add on, same goes for cars... America builds them a lot stronger.
Not really looking for a pissing contest here. I've got a very varied bike-owning history. Longevity isn't always about years. I've had several bikes over 100k miles, I know of several that approach 200k. It's not uncommon to see certain models go 80-100k before needing any serious maintenance. I dare say few of them are air cooled twins.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: schumacher

Everyone knows Norton's are the real girl's bikes

The Norton is a cool bike! I've been after this one that's been in my friends' dad's basement for years!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:25 PM
x2lee
Banned

It wont matter how you try to crunch those numbers the Harleys will be right there, mileageor years...
But go ahead, preach your metrics, talk down the Harleys. Its a free country.Besides Im sure theres someone who will buy it.
Not me tho. I have hadat least30 bikes ofvarious types in38 years also.Harleys have been the least troublesome of all I have had.
ORIGINAL: chornbe

ORIGINAL: x2lee

makes and how many turns up. Harley out does ALL the other bikes in this respect.

Not really looking for a pissing contest here. I've got a very varied bike-owning history. Longevity isn't always about years. I've had several bikes over 100k miles, I know of several that approach 200k. It's not uncommon to see certain models go 80-100k before needing any serious maintenance. I dare say few of them are air cooled twins.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:53 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

See, I wasn't preaching. I hear a lot of people saying things like "I've got 150k on my Electraglide. Only a top-end rebuild and two clutches in all that." That kind of stuff. Sorry, but a top-end rebuild is *not* "no real work on it". Clutches are wear items.

If I was preaching metrics, do you really think I'd own two Harleys? Hence the "no pissing contest". The point is lost and missed. Never mind.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: GothMetalGuitarist

Sometimes this board makes me feel like I have alzheimer's.
Dude, you posted the same thing yesterday.

Quick Reply: ignorant people