Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uniq cycle amp mount on sportster

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:50 AM
nazareth27
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default uniq cycle amp mount on sportster

Hey all Hope your year is going good, where Im at I wish it'd warm up personally.

I recently purchased a uniq cycle speaker system for my 2006 1200 custom sporster and am in the process of installing it. I got to the part of installing the amplifier which is a small 2 x 4 inch box. I read on here some about others who had bought this system for bigger bikes, and installed their amp under the seat. Any ideas on where to put the amp on a sportster? Theres no room under the seat, unlessI were to cut into the bottom of the seat, and that just doesnt seem like a good option. The only other option at the moment is putting it in my fork bag, where I usually keep tools instead. Anyone out there got other places they have put an amp for this system? Any help or suggestions would be great.
naz

Old 01-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: uniq cycle amp mount on sportster

Big twins don't have the same electrical storage under the seat as a Sportster.

How weather resistant is the amp? Does it have cooling fins? It could be mounted as if it is an oil cooler either on the front downtubes or between the downtubes and the engine.
Between the oil tank and the frame would put it behind the engine, perhaps too hot?

Old 01-14-2008, 09:38 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stefan

Big twins don't have the same electrical storage under the seat as a Sportster.

How weather resistant is the amp? Does it have cooling fins? It could be mounted as if it is an oil cooler either on the front downtubes or between the downtubes and the engine.
Between the oil tank and the frame would put it behind the engine, perhaps too hot?
My same thoughts and questions. All depends on how water resistant the amp is.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:40 AM
nazareth27
Road Captain

hey thanks for the replies. According to the instructions, the amp has to be out of the elements, covered, and does do some minimal heating, and so forth. Theres no major fins, its just a little black box, I'll try to get some photos of it, or if you go to uniq cycle under google, you can see the total outfit. Really excited about this setup though, I'd been eyeballing it for about six months now, was a Christmas present to myself this year, no wife, or kids, and no girlfriend for the moment, so at age 35, too much free time and things to buy. haha thanks again hope to hear more questions or suggestions

Old 01-14-2008, 10:49 AM
nazareth27
Road Captain

good to hear from you again sporty btw im still working with the stuff on my flag for the patriot guard events thanks again on that

Old 01-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Stefan
Road Master

http://www.uniqcycle.com/ProductDeta...Show=TechSpecs
"Designed for 4 ohm systems or run in parallel for 8 ohm systems"

DAMN! Dude you got to get hard bags, one for each amp! Put a 12" subin each bag and blow the $#!^ out of those little hondas!

I know the fins look small but they are there for the cooling. It would be okay in a tool bag if it has room to breethe. You've picked a great fit/function problem! Geazer glide would be esay with that big fiberglass fairing. Sportsters are sooo stripped compared to the touring models. This would be easier if you "upgraded" to a touring bike. [sm=laughingsmilie.gif]

Old 01-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Stefan
Road Master

Okay, perhaps a little too redneck/DIY buthow about gettinga California EVAP can, gut it and put the amp in there?

Old 01-14-2008, 12:05 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

rock on stefan hate to say it but i dont see an electra glide in my near future, I love those, just not enough pocketbook for me on one of them, and i love my sportster still (first harley). the can thing might be a good thing I could do though.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:47 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I installed amp for my speakersunder the voltage regulator. Take off the two bolts at the bottom engine guard (if you have them). Don't know your setup, but I bolted the amp w/bracket and attached to the bolts at the bottom of my engine guard. Got my speakers from www.cyclesounds.com

Old 01-14-2008, 01:03 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

2amp @ 150w draw?!? Are you sure the Sporty electrical system can handle it?

Quick Reply: uniq cycle amp mount on sportster