Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rode 300 miles this past weekend

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:48 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Rode 300 miles this past weekend

Well took the 08 883 from Winston Salem, NC to my parents house in Johnson City,TN this past weekend. About 300 miles roundtrip. Thursday I left the house and it was about 53 and windy, not too bad until I hit Boone,NC and it was 35 with about 40mph winds. I seriously thought I was gonna fall over and die[sm=badidea.gif]

Friday was nice up there to ride and when I came back Saturday it was about 75 in NC so that was great. I tell you though, not sure whether it is the sporty or what, but man I think I am still tired from it, felt like I had been hit by a train. I have the sundowner seat and that was no problem, but man maybe I need a dyna or something, lol.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:03 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Rode 300 miles this past weekend

Nice ride dude. I've been doing about 100-150 every weekend. I actually prefer the stock seat to the Sundowner, I sort of fall out of that seat, and don't see much of a comfort different, if any. Only problem I have is the wind, which will take me from 65 MPH down to about 45MPH. Still, gotta ride!

The "hit by a train" thing, I can understand, but the more long trips you do, the less the effect in my opinion. Also, I snowboard, which seems to condition the same muscles. Anyway, take some vitamins and get back on the bike!

Old 03-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Batley
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes when you have windy conditions or colder weather you have a tendency to tense up as your riding not really noticing it, and since you did ride along ways you probally are feeling it more than you would otherwise. Get back on when the weather is a bit nicer and take another longer ride and see how you feel.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:13 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Batley

Sometimes when you have windy conditions or colder weather you have a tendency to tense up as your riding not really noticing it, and since you did ride along ways you probally are feeling it more than you would otherwise. Get back on when the weather is a bit nicer and take another longer ride and see how you feel.
100% agree with that! I once rode in high winds and rain and was clinched so hard to my tank that I don't think I walked right for a week. Makes a HUGE difference.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:29 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I rode about 200 last Friday on my 1200, stock seat, but man it was cold. The high was 64, I had on a sweatshirt, leather jacket, full helmet but I dont own chaps or much else, and just work boots. I had a smile from ear to ear, but learned my exhaust is louder than what I was used to (not complaining) but ears were definitely ringing a lot for an hour or so when I got home. Still though, I love riding longer distances on mine. Around here my longest ride has been about 250 one way so far, so I dont know if that is considered "long" to some or not, but all worth it.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:30 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: DSnoopy

100% agree with that! I once rode in high winds and rain and was clinched so hard to my tank that I don't think I walked right for a week. Makes a HUGE difference.
Haha, yea I was clinched for sure, I really felt it in my neck because it was frigin COLD. I can't wait till the 70s get here permanently, looks like it is coming this week. That cold weather **** ain't no fun.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:50 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

heavy wind can seriously suck the fun out of a ride.

rob

Old 03-24-2008, 02:51 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

LOL!! The warmest day I've had this year is 65! Been riding in 40s and 50s!

Can't wait for the warm up.

Funny thing is, when I snowboard early season, I get pissed because it is too hot, the slopes are choppy, and I am sore from dodging rocks, etc.

Good old early season riding is the same no matter what!

Old 03-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Precisely!

Wind and/or cold will tire you out faster than anything. All of your muscles tense up and stay that way as long as the wind is around, and it is absolutely exhausting to ride that way.

I was on a trip about 20 years ago with a bunch of friends and we all had to stop and actually lay our bikes down -the windwasTHAT bad. We never did find out what velocity the wind was at but heard that there had been gusts to 65 mph,and before we pulled over we were changing lanes against our will. We layed the bikesdown under an overpass because two of the guys had them blow over off of their stands. It lasted about one to 1-1/2 hours and it was MISERABLE!

Old 03-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The coldest I've been riding was 19 degrees. Just to say I did it, and to test out some gloves I got. I was dressed for it, but I was NOT on a road trip! I did do about 40 miles @ 70 mph, and was out in the cold for about 2.5 hours, mostly tooling around town at the witching hour. This was last year. This year, I've been riding in above freezing temps, and 220 miles in mid to low 40's. Last leg was rain mixed withtrace amounts of snow. Dressing in layers is the key, and heated grips don't hurt, either!

The more often I ride distance, the longer distance I can ride. I ride in 20 mph winds all the time, so I get used to that as well. 35-40 mph crosswinds will slow me down to 60-65...or more, depending on the gusts. 30 mph winds I can keep it at 70-75, but I have to really watch the bike's track and pay attention. I'd much rather ride in cold than in a 30+ mph crosswind, as long as there's no precipitation involved!

But let's face it...53* is COLD on a bike running down the highway @ 70+ mph for any length of time, let alone for 150 miles! It doesn't look like it, but in the pic, it's 57* with a southeast wind blowing 25-35 mph. I'm westbound on I-20. 220 miles one way. I have on jeans (no long underwear), denim shirt (t-shirt underneath), HD wind/waterproof Skull hoody (not wearing the hood), an HJC 3/4 helmet with face shield, and Joe Rocket wind/waterproof textile gloves(not winter gloves, but they are warm). Heated grip setting on 3.

Teek

Quick Reply: Rode 300 miles this past weekend