Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing V&H Shortshots?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:39 AM
Langley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing V&H Shortshots?

My Nightster is my first Harley.......well first bike and want to double check before getting in over my head.

Is installing the Shortshots an easy thing to do?&nbsp\\; I have turned a wrench on cars before but never a bike.&nbsp\\;

Do I just pull the old pipes off and install the new ones?&nbsp\\; Any calibration involved?&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008, 05:16 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Installing V&H Shortshots?

Remove bolts, remove old pipes from heads, remove old crappy exhaust gaskets, remove new pipes from box, install new exhaust gaskets into heads, install pipes, loctite BLUE exhaust bolts, clean pipes to prevent fingerprints and **** burning into them, sell old pipes on craigslist, buy beer.

That's pretty much the gist of it.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Langley
Intermediate

Thanks! Doesn't sound bad at all.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Hawg295
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I understand, if you are putting on pipes other than slip ons you need to install a fuel management system for the efi.&nbsp\\; I believe the shortshots would require a PCIII or other module.&nbsp\\; The experts will chime in here.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008, 09:42 AM
rdss
Road Captain

I swapped my Short Shots on myself and saved, it is not hard, if you think you can&nbsp\\;swap headers on a car you can swap the exhaust on a bike.&nbsp\\; With it being brand new all the parts will come apart easier.&nbsp\\; I am running the PC III it gives you the ability to modify the lower throttle positions to get rid of the decel pop.&nbsp\\; When I just had the short shots on, I was running the stock advanced map with fuel added to the 0 throttle position and it ran great, the only real reason I went&nbsp\\;with it so early was I found a great deal on it and I knew I would be going with an air cleaner sooner than later.&nbsp\\; I am heading to my indy today to get it dyno tuned for two hours with the short shots and&nbsp\\;heavy breather.&nbsp\\; Should be fun!

Old 07-09-2008, 09:50 AM
creekhed1
Road Master

Installing Short Shots on my '08 xl1200c as soon as they get here... From what I understand NO REMAP is needed until you modify the breather.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Lord Bundrick
Cruiser

mine popped and cracked pretty good without any remap or tune- alledgedly it runs pretty lean without a tune so maybe a bad idea.&nbsp\\; You may as well get the high flow A/C at the same time and buy a tuner online to do it yourself.&nbsp\\; the dealer jacks you for the same price as buying one you can do yourself.
&nbsp\\;
As far as the install, like everyone said it's simple.&nbsp\\; the only thing i can add is to follow the instructions to the "T", as well as leaving the protective foam covering on the pipes until your are done with the install completely to protect them, because they will knick and scar easily (being black).
&nbsp\\;
Also, one last thing is in order to get the pipes on the manifold, have the shields on but don't tighten the clamps until they are on as you will need the manueverability to reach the manifold bolts.&nbsp\\; i left the pipe clamps off until the pipes were on and then carefully slid them on last (just the clamps, the shields were on loosely)- then i removed the foam covers and cleaned them.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;