Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windscreen buffeting - running out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Pitts2112
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windscreen buffeting - running out of ideas

I know there are loads of threads on this subject, and I've read most of them, but I'm running out of ideas. I just put on a QD windshield on the Sporty and get buffeting above about 50 mph, debilitating at 70 mph.

I've tried:

• Mounting the screen correctly (both clamps between the upper and lower triples - top of screen sits at nose height - bad buffeting.
  • Lowering the screen so the bottom clamp is on the fork upper. Screen sits much lower and closes the gap above the headlight. Still buffets
  • Adding toolbag below headlight to block flow - no change
  • Changing leg position to block flow coming up from below - no change
  • moving my head all over the place to find a non-buffet spot - haven't found it yet
  • Tucking my chin in low (wearing a full-face Shoei helmet). Helps some but not completely
I'm about out of ideas. Any new ones from anyone? Any thoughts on what else I can try out without spending a load of money on various solutions only to find they don't work? for instance, has anyone found a way to add lowers like Memphis Shades' to try see if they'd solve the problem before investing in a set?

I could really use some help because this just isn't workable for me the way it is now. I've got a big road trip planned in October and don't relish the thought of doing it naked but can't do it with this buffeting problem.

Thoughts?
Cheers,
Wylie

Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Wylie,
I've never met anyone with any brand shield that does not complain of buffetting under at least some conditions. Lowers help a little but not that much (I've been on baggers with them). Tilting the shield back or fwd. changes the flow and helps but little ajustment is built in so fabbing some offsets might work for you. Another thing is that when wearing a half or 3/4 helmet with visor you need to remove the visor which works well. My FF buffets little except in strong headwinds.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:16 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buffeting is a Bad Thing

I feel your pain. You can limit the buffeting by having the shield as high as possible. I have to sit bolt upright and stretch to see over the top of my shield. That gives me the option of looking through or over as desired.

The hardcore, long distance tour riders often use a small plastic deflector panel (approx 4" high and 6-8" wide) that they bolt, clamp, or heavy velcro to the top of the shield. This kind of rig is adjusted (wingnuts) to flip the air up over your head. There is also a commercial plastic/rubber lip that is claimed to flip the air up as it passes over the top of the shield.
Good luck and let us know when you find a solution.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:24 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

One thing not mentioned,... does your helmet fit correctly? A loose fitting helmet will buffet a lot more than one that fits as snugly as they're supposed to.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:46 AM
henram
Novice

not sure if this will help, but I feel the buffetting a lot more when wearing my full face helmet as opposed to my 1/2 helmet.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:17 AM
DynaSport
Advanced

My experience is the opposite. Much less buffeting with my full face. I'm not sure what I get is really buffeting anyway, as it doesn't really bounce my head around, it is just alot of air coming up from underneath. I went through several windshields trying to eliminate it, without much success. I even put on some lowers I bought from Memphis Shades. They helped, but I couldn't stand the way they looked.

I finally just went with a full face helmet, which made things much more comfortable for me. Before I had a hard time keeping my sunglasses on, but now I can close my shield and I don't have any problems. The air still comes up, but it doesn't bother me.

I also had my windshield trimmed down short so I could easily see over it. I didn't get any more or any less buffeting from that. I do feel some more wind, but not much and it doesn't bother me.

I don't know if this helps at all.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Pitts2112
Road Captain

Thanks for the tips so far, guys, but I'm not sure I'm there yet.

The kind of buffeting I'm getting is high frequency head banging, kind of side to side, and it's blurring my vision at anything over 60 mph, besides giving me a headache after a while. It's not all the time or at slow speeds but most rides are going to involve going 70 mph around here so it's nearly unuseable for me.

I don't mind the odd gust over the top or a bit of wind coming up my chest. I put the screen on to ease the full-chest/face imact of 70 mph winds on long rides but, at the moment, that's more sustainable than the buffeting I'm getting. How that'll be after riding all day, I don't know.

I've even done Joe's "put your left arm across your chest and see if that stops the buffeting" but it has no impact on it.

The helmet issues are valid but this is a matter of the wind moving my whole head, not so much moving the helmet on my head. The helmet is actually pretty snug and solid and we're both buffeting away in sync. It doesn't move much on me when I'm wearing it at speed without the shield, either.

I was wondering if it's the aerodynamics of the helmet itself but without a windtunnel handy, it's kinda hard to figure out for sure.

Any other experience or ideas? Any tips on how to fabricate lowers as a test? I may end up moving the angle on the shield but I don't have the tools/materials/skills to do that myself, so that's a more complicated option.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:19 PM
hogsport
Road Master

What kind of helmet do you have?

I had similar problems, I noticed that in my full face helmet, it felt pretty secure without being tightly strapped, but would shake the sh*t out of me head - blurring my vision etc - I tried cinching the strap dorn really tight - just before me face turned blue :-). It made a big difference.

As others mentioned, if you have a visor on a 1/2 or /4 - rip it off. Huge difference. - Also make sure your helmet is a snug fit- and cinched tight.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I first mounted my shield I installed it following the slope angle of the front forks, it generated a lot of buffetting. I than adjusted the shield where it is almost straight up and down and the buffetting is nearly completely gone (except in strong head wind). Of course it does not look as aerodynamic, but it worked for me.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Pitts2112
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cyclonecutting
when I first mounted my shield I installed it following the slope angle of the front forks, it generated a lot of buffetting. I than adjusted the shield where it is almost straight up and down and the buffetting is nearly completely gone (except in strong head wind). Of course it does not look as aerodynamic, but it worked for me.
You've got exactly the same bike I have (color and everything). Is that a QD shield you have on? If so, how did you change the angle of it? I'm thinking some kind of packers and longer screws.

Quick Reply: Windscreen buffeting - running out of ideas