Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Dyno'd

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:38 PM
rdss
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Dyno'd the Nightster 090808

Well, after the long awaited first dyno session a few months ago that was canceled I finally got it done. It rides great and my Indy did a great job begining to end and cleaned up the MAP a lot. On my ride down, I was getting 32 mpg and on the ride back holding 75 to 80 I pulled 43 so there is already a huge improvment.

He couldn't get much out of the torque in the bike because it was just about where everyone else with my set up was at 78 ft. lbs but he did get it from 77 to about 79. But horse power went from 67 to 72 give or take, I was hoping for closer to 78 like everyone else. I did get a good almost straight line for my A/F ratio and my power and torque are a good solid push above what it was when I got there.

Well here is a image of my runs. The green is the stock modified Dyno Jet MAP I had been running and the last two are the front and rear pipes (red front/ blue back).

Last edited by rdss; 09-08-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Austen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

not bad, i got 81.3 horses and about the same amount of tourque on my 08 nightster

Old 09-09-2008, 05:39 AM
rdss
Road Captain

Are you running the same set-up? Those are some pretty good numbers. I was hoping for closer to 80 HP but it could be all in the weather on why I was not able to.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:04 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by rdss
Are you running the same set-up? Those are some pretty good numbers. I was hoping for closer to 80 HP but it could be all in the weather on why I was not able to.
There are so many variables between different dynos and dyno operators and environmental conditions, that you can't assume someone else actually is getting 2 more HP than you are. Dyno runs are great for optimizing your bikes performance, but don't put a lot of weight on what it produces as a top number.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:12 AM
rdss
Road Captain

Yeah, I am not, BUT, it is nice to hope for!lol I am happy with how it is running and mainly with the fact that I am pushing more horse power than stock and back to getting the mileage I was stock. Watching the fuel light come on at 60-65 miles was getting old! Other than the wondering A/F ratio the bike was decent in the 100% throttle position as it was, I think the most improvement came from my Indy cleaning up the 5%-40% throttle in the 2000-5000rpm range. One of his complaints was that there are two injectors sharing a common intake plenum and that you would never get a perfect due to it sharing some fuel.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sheesh i'd have to relearn to ride my bike with that power curve. i bet it breaks traction if you look at it funny

running up above 5k would be a waste of time.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:19 PM
BIGschwerm
Tourer

Nice........... looks like he cleaned it up nicely Im not a big fan of running a "canned" tune any longer after seeing how far off mine was....

Old 09-09-2008, 01:24 PM
rdss
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BIGschwerm
Nice........... looks like he cleaned it up nicely Im not a big fan of running a "canned" tune any longer after seeing how far off mine was....
I agree, did you see my A/F ratio (in Green) compared to the custom mapped ratio?! It looked like it was doing the wave!lol If you are on the fence about getting your bike custom MAP'd you shouldn't be, it is worth every penny.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:39 PM
BIGschwerm
Tourer

Yah i see your before A/F ration also almost as bad as mine was except mine was risght at cruising speed where it was the worst ..........Best $130 i spent on my bike yet.....maybe this will help spread the word on how every bike is different and needs a good tune to run right...jus cheap insurance...

Old 09-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Austen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rdss
my setup is: s-e heavy breather, and v&h sideshots

Quick Reply: Just Dyno'd