Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brighter Headlight Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 01:03 AM
guitarenigma
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brighter Headlight Bulb

Well, the rain finally stopped long enough for me to get out there and install my Diamond 5 3/4" lamp from Zanotti with the Silverstar bulb I picked up at AutoZone. I must say, I'm impressed. The H-D lamp was really a P.O.S. I noticed when I took mine off it was even getting cloudy and also had some rust on the bulb shield inside! The Diamond lamp has no bulb shield or badge on the clear lens and completely eliminated the dark spot in the middle. There is a nice spread of white light on the road, and I would say that the Silverstar bulb is as close as you can get to H.I.D. with an H-4. Definitely worth the approximately $55 investment for everything. The reflections from the road signs look almost the same as with the H.I.D.s in my Infiniti G35 Coupe cage, and you'd have to be going pretty fast to overdrive the high beam. I followed the instructions in my H-D service manual to make sure the alignment was correct, since I think my original lamp was set too high from the factory in the first place (probably to compensate for the poor quality!). I had been considering doing the H.I.D. conversion from X-citing lighting for almost $500. Don't think I have to now. Good stuff!

Old 08-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Fireitup
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The silverstar is one of the best but if your a little short on money for about 1/2 the price at wal-mart you can pick up a "cool blue" made by sylvania. There about $9.96 and are super bright way brighter than stock! That's what i have in mine with a $29.00 hexagon with multi colored glass lens that really make the bike stand out. I would'nt think twice about buying another cool blue bulb! Money well spent!

Old 08-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To play the advocate. My stock 91 Lamp still works! Not the brightest sucker around, though and it needs replacement. Still, if the stock Harley light remains on while the Sylvania burns out one night? ........ I will go with another Harley head lamp.

The other lamps (turning, brake, etc) burn the steady on filament out every three or four months. I get these from Walmart or the car parts stores. What a friggin pain that is.

Realize that most Walmart products are if possible, degraded from standard to be cheaper?