Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what type of paint ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:08 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you don't know which onme to buy read the cans a see which has the most pigment, that one will cover the best, there is a hugh differance in brands.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Shadow_Demon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lundee
Mines hot rod flat. It's not near flat enough. I'm doing rustoleum here in a few weeks
I think your bike looks good.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Shadow_Demon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
This bike was done with Walmart house brand. The whole paint job cost about 10 bucks.
your bike is almost as hot as my ex sister in law. The bike looks good.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:48 PM
lance a.
Advanced

I like the results I've gotten from fusion (you can get it at walmart). never painted a bike with it but have painted just about everything else.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:00 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FandA M
None??? what makes you say that? because it's in a can? In most cases paint is paint.Your results will come from how it's prep'ed and shot.I've seen ,and got, some excellent results from a rattlecan.Some look as good as any paint shop can do..........it all depends on how much time you want to spend sanding ,buffing, etc.
Rustoleum makes a good paint,I especially like their Professional Industrial Enamel gloss black.It's in a tall silver can and I'm sure their other colors are just as good.It's easy to work with,has nice depth,and is tough.Duplicolor is another excellent rattlecan paint.
Yeah... what would I know... I mean I only did it professionally for 15 years...

Charlie D.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:32 AM
plasmadaddy
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Why would anyone even think of painting a bike worth thousands with a can???????

Old 12-28-2008, 08:08 AM
expy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dbleagle
Yeah... what would I know... I mean I only did it professionally for 15 years...

Charlie D.
This is my off the shelf rattle can job with clear (alot of prep and color sanding). I know it doesnt come close to a professional paint job but only a pro could probally tell or even care. It looks good to me so this is how it will stay but I am curious what the life span will be. I would assume that being from a rattle can the life span will be much shorter than a pro job.
Edit: I did not paint the tins just the side covers, speedo and headlight housing.

Last edited by expy; 12-28-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:42 AM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dbleagle

Charlie D.
Alot more than me I guess ..............but..... when it comes to deciding whether to pay a few hundred or even a thousand or more,or, do it myself for a few bucks I'll pick the rattlecan every time.I DON'T believe in "you get what you pay for" I believe in how much work you put into something, and I can tell you,like I've said before, I've had, and seen, some excellent results out of a rattlecan.No one would know the difference.....except maybe you of course

Old 12-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Shadow_Demon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FandA M
Alot more than me I guess ..............but..... when it comes to deciding whether to pay a few hundred or even a thousand or more,or, do it myself for a few bucks I'll pick the rattlecan every time.I DON'T believe in "you get what you pay for" I believe in how much work you put into something, and I can tell you,like I've said before, I've had, and seen, some excellent results out of a rattlecan.No one would know the difference.....except maybe you of course
Sherwin Williams here in my home town mixes paint for rattle cans. They put it in the can. I've used the can paint and got good results. Also, I know people that have painted cars for years. That doesn't mean they were good. As far as rattle can paint not lasting as long, somebody needs to tell the toolbox on my pickup. Painted it about 6 years ago and it still looks good. I have told people that I painted it with a spray can and they didn't believe me. Its more about surface prep and paint quality.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by plasmadaddy
Why would anyone even think of painting a bike worth thousands with a can???????
The bike I posted a pic of is not mine. It is my buddy's. I can tell ya why he did it....To ride cheap....The bike is an '02 Ultra. He got it in '05 after it had been totaled. It had a 95" kit and only 20k on the odo. It was totaled because the owner was killed. The damage was all cosmetic. Most of the metal and fiberglass had been trashed because the bike flipped. My buddy collected a mixed lot of replacement parts off eBay painted 'em and added a few other things. He is riding for less than $9k on that bike.

I actually need to post a new pic of that bike. He painted that bike a few months before HD came out with denim black. He got sick of everybody asking him is it was a Street Glide in denim black, so he shot the whole thing with black bediner. It looks good with that on it as well.

Attached Thumbnails what type of paint ?-img_3628.jpg   what type of paint ?-img_3629.jpg  

Last edited by xxxflhrci; 12-29-2008 at 11:29 AM.