Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think about old school pinstriping?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Micheletti
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you think about old school pinstriping?

I am concidering having old school pinstriping put on my bike. I found a place here locally that will do it. I have a black nightster. I am thinking about getting it done on the top of the tank and back fender. I really love the throw back bobber look. What do you guys think? Also I would like your opinions on the color scheme of the pinstriping. I really want red and white pinstriping, but the tank has the the factory silver pin stripe and Harley Davidson logo down the side. Should I do red and white pinstriping with some silver accents to incorporate the color of the Harley logo or just get it done red and silver?

Old 05-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Filmy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pinstriping you're talking about looks best on flat black - at least, satin black. If your bike is gloss Vivid Black, just use some 1500-grit wet sandpaper on it to knock the gloss down. Your pinstriper can/will probably do this for your. The stripes show up better that way. JMHO.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:46 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey i think pinstriping is cool looking. Old retro look. Do whatever color scheme you like, its your bike. I wouldnt give a damn what anybody else thought. Im the one who is gonna ride it.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Pinhead1200N
Stage II

Pinstriping on a vivid black nightster could be an awesome look for it. I agree with it looking better on a satin or flat black finish better than gloss black, but either way if its done right it won't matter what the base was because it'll look cool anyways. I'm in no way a "pro" when it comes to striping but I do it as a hobby at home...The color scheme is compeltely up to you. Red and white do look great over black, but any combination of colors that compliment each other well would have a great end result. Some blues go really well over black along with silver accents.

If the shop you're thinking of taking it to does good work, then go for it! You could probably spend some time on Google and find some nice color combos striping.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:21 PM
STEG
Road Captain

It looks great IMO. I have flame pinstriping and a freehand skull on the fairing. But i've seen a forum member who has a vivid nightster with green pinstriping and it looks great. Make sure the person you get to do this is well known with a lot of satisfied customers, i've heard of some pinstripes flaking and peeling. when you get them done keep good care of them too.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 PM
durrett syndrome
6th Gear

Here is some I had done. I did everything from the rims to the levers, tank, turning signals, headlight, etc. Came out good. I did the orange on black for obvious reasons. Here is some pics. DONT MIND THE DIRTY BIKE!!!! its been raining for over a week and im going out of town and wanted to snap a few quick shots to give you a couple ideas.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Pinhead1200N
Stage II

That orange looks great! Nice touch in all the right places.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Bar_Hopper
Tourer

bike looks great. im a fan of the pinstriping... but it mostly depends on the bike!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:56 PM
guitarman023
Road Master

do you throw clear over the striping? I was just imagining that it might come off over time when waxing the bike?

Old 05-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Peedib89
Tourer

Heres what i did on mine. sort of old school. thanks for the complement steg

Attached Thumbnails What do you think about old school pinstriping?-front-fender.jpg   What do you think about old school pinstriping?-rear-fender.jpg   What do you think about old school pinstriping?-side.jpg   What do you think about old school pinstriping?-tank-top.jpg  

Last edited by Peedib89; 05-07-2009 at 11:47 PM.

Quick Reply: What do you think about old school pinstriping?