Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster touring & camping

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Post Sportster touring & camping

For those of us who'll "risk" riding long mileage on a sportster, i'd like to start a thread where tips/tricks are exchanged.

I'll start out with a gear recomendation...

rei.com has an outlet store where camping items are sold at deep discounts. I just received four compression bags that were an exceptional deal. I bought one medium and three small bags for my nightster. The medium-sized bag will be tied to the rear fender. One of the small bags goes on the forks. Two mount vertically between the rear brake lights and upper shock mount. I'll post pix of my setup this weekend.

In the case of rain, I pack everything in 1-gallon ziplock bags. Press all the air out and they'll pack down nicely. I've used larger bags and was burned when a tear in the bag allowed everything to get soaked. Best to have lots of small bags rather than one big bag.

I try to pack my loads as low as possible because the bike handles better and wind hazard lessens.

I know others ride long miles and have learned a few things along the way. I hope they'll chime in.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:47 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a Dowco Rally touring bag that sits on the sissy bar. Plus saddle bags. The tent and sleeping pad get mounted on the luggage rack. Everything gets put into waterproof bags. Nothing worse than trying to dry wet gear when it's still raining.

My next purchase will be highway pegs. Not decided on an engine guard or one of those "moustache" thingymajigs to hold the pegs. I have a 1200C with the forward controls that help. My long legs need to stretch.

Also have a Mustang solo seat on the way. That should improve that sore butt.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The first, and most important rule of touring / camping on any motorcycle.

FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION

The second rule

If you aren't having fun, you're worried about the wrong things.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bacon_Grease:
duffy8540 (09-25-2019), Traxxx (09-23-2019)
Old 06-04-2009, 02:22 PM
nevets61
Road Master
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Sissy bar tour bag.. And everything in ziploc baggies.. As mentioned, tent, small fold up chair and tent strapped to luggage rack. Tools and heavy items in the hard saddlebags I put on for such a trip. I carried enough gear for a 7 day stay in Sturgis, sporty can travel...

The following users liked this post:
Traxxx (09-23-2019)
Old 06-04-2009, 03:42 PM
TRacer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(1) Sissy bar T-bag on back
(2) the round cylindrical T-Bag that came with the bigger bag was lashed to the front above the headlight as I prefer to ride without a windshield.
(3) A pair of River Road throwover-type saddlebags on the back
(4) One small River Road sissy bar pack to hold stuff like an extra quart of oil
(6) A package of medium size ZIP TIES and dykes to cut them with -- invaluable!
(7) Take along a tool you can use to adjust the rear shock preload if you need to while on the road.
(8) I have a $5 cup holder I bought at a bicycle shop to hold coffee or cold drinks; it is mounted next to the speedo.
(9) Go to your local thrift store and buy yourself some cheap button-down collared long sleeve shirts to keep your arms from getting sunburned if you don't wear a jacket.
(10) I carry along an extra jockey shift **** just in case some smarta$$ walks off with my other one.

Things I learned after a solo multi-day 1400-miler on the often-times crappy roads of historic Route 66 in CA, AZ and NM:
-- If you value your body, change the suspension before you go! I did the 1,400 miles using the stock shocks and forks-- OUCH! (This assumes you do not have a springer seat.) I went to 12" standard duty Progressive 412's and a Progressive drop in front lowering kit after I got back; what a difference!
-- A comfortable saddle is essential; I don't think I'll do a long trip on a LePera again!

One question I have is in regards to protection: do any of you folks carry a firearm or something to defend yourself with? I was 2/3 the way into my trip when I realized all I had was a Swiss Army knife in my forkbag, and I was riding solo into some very remote areas. No, I do not have a CCW and I am a CA resident.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRacer

One question I have is in regards to protection: do any of you folks carry a firearm or something to defend yourself with? I was 2/3 the way into my trip when I realized all I had was a Swiss Army knife in my forkbag, and I was riding solo into some very remote areas. No, I do not have a CCW and I am a CA resident.
You'll get several heated opinions with this question.

I, personally, carry a weapon that is both legal for me to carry in that area and that I am comfortable and proficient with it's use. Sometimes it's a firearm, others it's a baton, others it's pepper spray, others it's a large knife or a combination of the above.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

zipties are invaluable on the road. i'll add this: plastic shopping bags and tape.

my boots aren't waterproof. i was once caught in the mountains in heavy rain. they weather cleared out but it was too cold for ride-drying. most of the larger truckstops have clothes dryers so i stopped and took advantage of this. unfortunately my boots were soaked. so i got two bags and a roll of electrical tape and put this over my dry socks and then put on my boots

hey it got me home.

if you have to carry a helmet and you're into stickers, put a duct-tape racing stripe on your helmet. i learned this trick when i was a kid. the duct-tape has been handy 20-30 times.

as for protection. there is an old saying: dont start no sht there wont be no sht. i find this to be generally true. however, my belt buckle is a solid brass eagle thats easy to slip off. i keep small denominations handy for beggars (if they aren't a threat i tell them i don't carry cash on the road. if they are a threat i give them a coupla ones and say i'm sorry this is all i have.). i keep my key-fob on my person all the time so if someone demands the bike (using force) they can have it cause they wont get far without the fob. of course if you're on the road for any length of time, you'll end up so filthy/haggard that most people wont want to mess with you. if you've read this and are still worried, i recomend you get off the bike in a strange town and attempt to make an acquaintance. you'll find there are a uncountable number of good people in the world.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:44 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To carry a gun you need to check ahead of time for states you will be in.A CCW does not make you legal in every state.Weapons laws are a gray area.In D.C you can't carry open or concealed.Philly is the same way.I have carried mine but I have never taken the bike out of Pa yet.You would be okay just about anywhere with it unloaded but an unloaded gun is worthless.Other options mentioned would be better.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:01 PM
LoneStarSkater
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool thread!!!

Here's a pic of my setup for a rally a couple a weeks ago. 5 man tent, sleeping bag, blanket, and a chair... all bunjied to the fender. Personal protection, clothes, beer, whiskey, and a collapsible cooler in the saddle bags.

One thing that I found to be extremely useful is a collapsible cooler (i.e. an insulated folding cooler/bag). You can unfold the cooler and load it full of ice and beverages whenever you're ready.

Attached Thumbnails Sportster touring & camping-pine-rally.jpg  
Old 06-04-2009, 06:14 PM
beaucoup_dinkydow
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gps, I have the Zumo550 and love it.
Raingear, am using the harley hi-vis 2 pc and it's excellent.
Flashlight. I like the small led things.
I have yet to find a good pair of waterproof boots.
Will add more, when my feeble brain thinks of it.

Quick Reply: Sportster touring & camping