Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could I just be a Sportster guy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 04:13 PM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker Trash
I'm buying a (very) low milage Ultra but keeping my Sportster. Best of both worlds in my book
That is what I did. If by very low mileage you mean brand new.

I have some projects I am working on for my Sporty so it may not see much seat time this summer, but I'm keeping it around.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crashin
That is what I did. If by very low mileage you mean brand new.

I have some projects I am working on for my Sporty so it may not see much seat time this summer, but I'm keeping it around.
No, it's a 1998 with under 10000 miles on it. May as well be new though

Old 06-17-2009, 04:59 PM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ride 2 up with the wifey all summer long and we love it...like stated before me,we just need a better seat and some better rear shocks...i've been hinting' 'round for a father's day gift.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys. I jusy got back from Gulf Shores Alabama. I haven't checked the forum until today. It looks like this thread generated alot of response. Looks like a popular response is "keep it and buy a big twin." I could do that, but I dont want two bikes. I like to keeps things to minimum. I need a truck, so I drive a truck. We need an SUV so my wife drives an SUV. I like to think that I'll always own a Harley. So what kind of Harley do I need? One I like preferably. I dont ride on thousand mile trips, not enough time. My wife dont really want on my bike. I doesnt have anything to do with the size of the bike, she just dont like being on one. So a sportster seems like a pretty good choice. Plus, I really like them. As I've stated before, the 1200L really draws me in. I like it. I was at Eastern Shore Harley in Daphne Alabama yesterday picking up a T-shirt for my dad and I. Of course I'm going to check out the bikes and the one I looked at the longest was the 1200L. They had a couple of used ones and a couple of new ones. The salesman asked if I rode and what I rode. I told him and his response was, "looking to move up huh." WTF? I said, "Actually no, I'm thinking about staying with the Sportster just a newer one." "Nothing wrong with that" he says. I'm glad he appeoves. That crap chaps my ***. Ah well. I'm not saying I'll never buy a bigger bike. But for the time being I'm staying with a Sportster. I guess I'm just a Sportster guy.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:15 AM
PsTaN
Road Master

Originally Posted by Razorback Rob
The salesman asked if I rode and what I rode. I told him and his response was, "looking to move up huh." WTF? I said, "Actually no, I'm thinking about staying with the Sportster just a newer one." "Nothing wrong with that" he says. I'm glad he appeoves. That crap chaps my ***. Ah well. I'm not saying I'll never buy a bigger bike. But for the time being I'm staying with a Sportster. I guess I'm just a Sportster guy.

Was it the heavy-set red headed guy? I stop by Eastern Shore a great deal and that guy irks me as well.

PsTaN

Old 06-18-2009, 10:32 AM
F4Phantomsphorever
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

I like Sportys, too...nothing looks like 'em. They have slim lines that are all their own. If my wife didn't want to ride with me, I would look seriously at a Sporty...something I could have some fun with in the twisties. (Not to say that a Dyna wouldn't be as fun...but isn't handling the Sporty's "raison d' etre"?)*

You answered your own question: What kind of Harley do I need? That's right--one that you like.

*Don't mean to sound snotty there...

Old 06-18-2009, 10:55 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've owned 3, and I'm sure I'll own another before it's all said and done. If it wasn't for the 2 up aspect of them, I'd probably still have my last one. The Softail just does 2 up soooo much better.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain

Originally Posted by PsTaN
Was it the heavy-set red headed guy? I stop by Eastern Shore a great deal and that guy irks me as well.

PsTaN
Not really sure. He had a hat on. Everyone else was really nice, and he probably was too. Just a dumb chit thing to say. He probably didnt think anything about it.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:43 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master

The xl883 is the only Harley that interests me in the least. I ride 2up quite a bit and enjoy the great comfort of the Harley pillow top tandem and mid controls. My bike is the only Sporty that I've ever seen with that seat. Gets lots of compliments.

It takes five minutes to put the solo saddle on and take the windshield off if you want to be "cool." Frankly, I'd rather enjoy the ride and settle for "happy and luke warm." Or as they say, "suffering is at your discretion."

Old 06-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BWLucky13
The xl883 is the only Harley that interests me in the least. I ride 2up quite a bit and enjoy the great comfort of the Harley pillow top tandem and mid controls. My bike is the only Sporty that I've ever seen with that seat. Gets lots of compliments.

It takes five minutes to put the solo saddle on and take the windshield off if you want to be "cool." Frankly, I'd rather enjoy the ride and settle for "happy and luke warm." Or as they say, "suffering is at your discretion."
I love the 883's. You just cant beat the value. I love the peanut tank. Real cool bikes. Some people say that they dont have enough power, but hell, they're bigger than most of the metrics on the road. Good choice.

Quick Reply: Could I just be a Sportster guy?