Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive Belt very tight when warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:32 PM
kc5gxc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive Belt very tight when warmed up

My drive belt is mighty tight when it's hot. Tight as hell. Tighter'n a banjo string on steriods.
When it's cold it's pretty tight too. I do think it flexes up about 1/4" like the book says.
Wondering about other sporties....do you guys check out the drive belt when it's hot? Do your belts get really tite when hot? You ever just press on it to see?
Just wondering if mine is too tight ? I do not have the little tool to check it. The belt looks good so far and mileage on bike is about 3500 miles now.
I have heard of them being too tight from the factory.
Thanks,Pete

Old 06-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

gotta remember, that it should move that much with only 10 pounds of pressure. If it takes more force than that, it's too tight.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:29 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think you and i have a simmilar issue....

its called "when nothing is wrong with my sporty find something to worry about"

my buds give me **** all the time, yr porbley fine, enjoy the ride

Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 PM
diablo666
Road Master

Give the belt some credit guys.It has been used on car engine timing applications for years although it was much thinner.Both of the Sporties here have tight as guitar strings when cold.The belt tension should be checked with the rider on the bike.When the swingarm moves the belt tension changes.My neighbor generally got 70-80K on the older belts.The newer ones are 100 K plus.S ervice manual will explain how to properly check tension.If you run it crooked it will wear out faster.But so will a chain drive.Beating on your bike will not get the same mileage from the belt or a chain as someone simply riding.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:48 PM
eazyrider
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

i think you and i have a simmilar issue....

its called "when nothing is wrong with my sporty find something to worry about"

my buds give me **** all the time, yr porbley fine, enjoy the ride
And I thought it was just me. I become convinced that something is wrong at least once a week. My speedo really is broke though I don't think I am imagining that.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:27 AM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't want to have the belt too tight. This will cause unnecessary strain on the bearing on that side. You blow that bearing and you have to split the cases to get to it. Not something you want to do just because your drive belt was too tight.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:36 PM
kc5gxc
Cruiser

Thanks for the info, guys....I have never had someone sit on it while I checked it. I Remember now that the book says this.
I sure don't want to mess up that wheel bearing.
Pete/MS

Old 06-20-2009, 09:59 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kc5gxc
I sure don't want to mess up that wheel bearing.
Pete/MS
That's not a wheel bearing. That would be nothing to replace. I was mentioning the bearing on your front sprocket which is inside the tranny.

Most of the new bikes's belt drives make a tinging sound when you walk them forward. This means your belt is too tight. They set it up that way from the factory assuming that the belt will stretch. Problem is, after 1000 miles, it's still too tight. Usually you want to loosen it up just a touch (per HD's specs) but then you want monitor it to make sure it doesn't get too loose.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:25 PM
kc5gxc
Cruiser

Hey 95yj......thanks, I realized after I sent the post I had focused on wrong bearing...the sprocket bearing would be a major problem.
I got mine slacked off today. No riding tho. Will ride and get it hot and see what it looks like. I did notice when adjusting it, that I ended up with the left adjuster further forward than the right one (less threads out the back than the right)...they were equal distances when I started. (both, of course were pulling further back when I started). Using the rod method mentioned in the manual, my distances from the axle to the swing arm pivot are exactly the same now. (on each side). I am wondering why this is? Maybe the swing arm bushing is causing it or something. Anyway the belt is tracking ok....laying to the inboard side of the rear pulley, but not hard. What do you think?
Is this common on the adjusters?
Thanks, Pete

Old 06-22-2009, 08:25 AM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it aint broke, dont fix it. Ride the hell out of it instead

Quick Reply: Drive Belt very tight when warmed up