Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Long Ride (bum knee question too)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:58 PM
googs
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Long Ride (bum knee question too)

Well I finally got my scoot home, 222 miles from dads. As happy as I am that I now have it here and can ride when ever I want... My God My *** Hurts! lol

Aside from that, I did note that the lighting sucks and I'm gonna have to do something about my forwards. I've got a bum left knee and I keep putting off the visit to the doc for fear of requiring surgery. Anybody else have this issue? What's your solution on longer trips? Can somebody direct me to the people that have built the custom forward extensions?

Last edited by googs; 06-21-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:01 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Get a new seat or send your stock seat to Mean City Cycles and get it redone. Alan will make it nice and comfy for you for a reasonable price. He can also move you more forward or back depending on what you like. As far as the left knee goes I am of no help except to suggest you get a crash bar with highway pegs so you can move your legs around more. Mean city cycles is in the vendor classifieds.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:06 PM
googs
Tourer

Ya, I should've mentioned that a new seat is in the works. I'm gonna go with a solo for now, my girl isn't ready to ride with just yet. Thanks for the heads up tho.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:04 PM
lockingnut
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had surgery on my right knee about 3 months ago, I'd good for about an hour on my Sportster. Then I feel it tightening up and have to get off it for awhile. I've got fowards and a touring seat. We needed the seat for my wife, she couldn't stand the stock one. This touring seat is a bi-level type and I can't slide back too far. I think if I could I'd be able to last little longer.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:57 PM
guitarman023
Road Master

i ALWAYS take ibprophen before I go riding, it kills the pain, and doesn't thin your blood like aspirin does and as far as my knee bad goes i just move my foot position around on the forwards on long rides, stop every 75 miles for a minute stuff like that.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:17 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

This might sound kinda stupid but it did help me out a little. I have a bad right knee from walking on steel decks on ships. I have been in the Navy for 18 years and my right knee is shot. I have pains in my knee if i ride over a hour so i thought about using my knee brace i use during any physical training we do. That worked like a champ for me! The pain went away. At time i still feel it but not as bad. Just my 2cents.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:41 PM
magforce
Cruiser

I have two bad knees, I have mid controls and highway pegs being able to change pegs has helped with the pain for me.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:00 PM
googs
Tourer

Originally Posted by magforce
I have two bad knees, I have mid controls and highway pegs being able to change pegs has helped with the pain for me.
I have been tossing this idea around. My knee locks up some times when I keep it in one position for longer periods. Being able to switch every little bit sounds like it might do the trick.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:28 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Highway pegs, mine are set so I can put my heel on the floorboard and foot on the peg, or stretch all the way to the pegs. (bum knee too).

Old 06-22-2009, 08:33 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i have floor boards and highway pegs it helps on long rides

Quick Reply: First Long Ride (bum knee question too)