Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spring seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:56 PM
fatguy-littlebike
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spring seat

just wondering what is all needed to mount a spring seat on an 09 iron. i know about the whole ecm relocation and all that but what about the seat its self? do you really need a whole kit or can you just get a hinge and the piece to mount the springs to? i will probly just make my own frame cover.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:48 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

find a place for the ecm, some put it in with the battery some attach it to the frame behind the oil bag and some are putting it in this nifty little seatkit this guy is selling that places it under the seat in a sealed box and looks really clean, can't really tell it's there and comes with the springs, seat mount basically everything but the seat. then get a seat from somewhere, many on ebay, lickscycles etc. depending on what you want to do with the suspension (keeping it vs. struts) will also determine what you can do with the fender. that's pretty much it. i'm planning the same thing myself over the winter.......good luck.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:59 PM
fatguy-littlebike
Tourer

i agree the kit with the box for the ecu is probobly easier and looks pretty good but im kinda cheap and $200 sounds a little high to me. i've been looking around and it looks like i could buy the pieces seperatly a lot cheaper. the only part i cant find by its self is the piece that bolts to the fender mount bolt for the springs to sit on. anyone know where i could find it?

Old 11-15-2009, 06:29 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by fatguy-littlebike
i agree the kit with the box for the ecu is probobly easier and looks pretty good but im kinda cheap and $200 sounds a little high to me. i've been looking around and it looks like i could buy the pieces seperatly a lot cheaper. the only part i cant find by its self is the piece that bolts to the fender mount bolt for the springs to sit on. anyone know where i could find it?
that part should come with a seat kit and by seat kit i mean a seat, springs, mounting hardware etc which is usually how they are sold. just read what you're buying before you buy and ask alot of questions.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would think this kit would work for you...

http://www.jpcycles.com/search/Produ...ults=10&Nao=20

Old 11-16-2009, 10:00 AM
JambaJuice
Advanced

Hey dude...a tab on the pricey side but if you are willing to shell out the cash

http://www.bikersaddles.com/shop/ind...&productId=112

They make a nice saddle and the mounting platform is very straight forward

Laters
Lewis

Old 11-16-2009, 06:14 PM
crobinson1324
Advanced

not to hijack the thread, sorry if it seems that way, but im really interested in doing this mod myself but what are the options associated with the ecm hole in the rear fender???

Old 11-16-2009, 07:25 PM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crobinson1324
not to hijack the thread, sorry if it seems that way, but im really interested in doing this mod myself but what are the options associated with the ecm hole in the rear fender???
Check out the thread in the post by JambaJuice. That kit includes a little cover that goes over the hole. The next option would be buying a fender off an 04-06 model which would be from when they were still running on carbs and swapping it out with yours now. Another option would be the ever popular cutting the fender right where the ECM hole starts and rotating the fender forward giving the nightster/iron and even shorter fender. You would also need to hack a little off the fender sturts too. Mreed has a good example of the last option.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:33 PM
fatguy-littlebike
Tourer

i was origonally going to go the route mreed went but i dont think i have the guts to cut my frame. i want to be able to put it back to a standard seat and shock set up if i wind up not liking it for some reason. im going to buy an aftermarket fender and mount it nice and low but leave it long enough i dont have to cut the frame.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:08 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

you can still go back to shocks if you cut the fender struts. you'll just have to remount the fender a diff. way like to the swingarm so it moves with the swingarm when the suspension compresses and releases.

Quick Reply: spring seat