Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying stock Sportster Mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you look on the Big City Thunder website for baffles to fit your stock pipes? I don't know if they make them for Sportys but they sound great and are tuned for your system.

http://www.bigcitythunder.com/

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 02-22-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A pair of slip-ons is pretty much the same as knocking the baffle outta the stockers. When you remove the baffle it basically makes them a straight through glass pack and sounds 100x better than before. It's free and easy. You don't even need to buy a hole saw if you don't have one. Get a big *** flat blade screw driver and pound it into the weld at the end of the muffler that holds the baffle in, working your way all the way around until the baffle is loose in the muffler. After that take a long *** 1/2" extension and pound the baffle out the end of the pipe. If you are so inclined you can take a dremel or something of that sort to clean up the weld where you beat it to submission.

Doing this sounds better than simply punching a hole through the center of the baffle. It adds to the rumble without being too loud if you aren't into loud pipes. Try it, you'll like it.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 PM
F_CPT98
Tourer

Thanks for all the help guys I cant wait to get home on Wednesday and get those damn baffles out LOL! I just put Short Shots(no Baffles) on my SB and my wife loves the way it sounds so I don't think hers will be too loud for her.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned

Originally Posted by F_CPT98
Thanks for all the help guys I cant wait to get home on Wednesday and get those damn baffles out LOL! I just put Short Shots(no Baffles) on my SB and my wife loves the way it sounds so I don't think hers will be too loud for her.
It won't be too loud. I did my mother-in-laws recently and she still thought it was too quiet.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:30 PM
F_CPT98
Tourer

Originally Posted by Shovelhead Jack
It won't be too loud. I did my mother-in-laws recently and she still thought it was too quiet.
She probably couldn't here it cuz you had that bike in your sig running right next to hers! LOL!! Damn nice ride brother!!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned

There ain't no better sounding bike than a big inch Shovel with drag pipes...

Thump, thump CRACK!

Thanks man.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:20 PM
btamburro
Advanced

Save the stock muffs for a rainy day, you never know when you might need them in a pinch. I have Cycle Shack slip-ons on my Iron, IMO (of course, I'm basing this on my own experience, I haven't tested every muff out there), you're not going to find a better slip-on. They are good quality, fit and finish is great, made in the USA, and they cost $150 for the set. Takes about 10 minutes to put them on with a 9/16 wrench and a light spray of your favorite metal lube. Not as cheap as a $5 hole-saw, but for a Harley-D not bad at all. I lit up like a kid at Christmas the first time I fired my bike up with Cycle Shacks on it.

No matter what you do, if you take off the oem mufflers even just to work on the baffles, buy new cross-over tube gaskets. You're gonna trash the old ones; they get brittle from being exposed to exhaust gases and high heat.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned

You don't have to remove the headpipes from the bike therfore you don't need to buy any cross-over gaskets. Loosen the muffler clamps and slide the mufflers off the headpipes. Buying slip-ons is a waste as the modified stockers are basically the same damn thing only some slip-ons have a larger inner core so they may be a bit louder but not enough to justify $150 IMHO.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:04 AM
harleyboy2009
Intermediate

i cut the ends of my 2010 nightster pipes stripped the baffles out but left the cat in by cutting that off and drilling a hole thro the pipe on the swingarm side so i could put a screw in to hold that in place, just to give a little back pressure and so it wasnt "straight" through, sounds good but need to get a SERT. I also scotchbrited them for the "EXILE" style,
look at the pics in my blog which is in the link on my sig,

Old 02-24-2010, 07:08 AM
dubll_r
Advanced

I drilled 8 holes right at the beggining of muffler,left baffle in to keep some back pressure.It opened it up a bit,little louder but theres nothing like new exhaust ,just a quick fix mod till this spring.You can see a little in avatar pic!

Quick Reply: Modifying stock Sportster Mufflers?