Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag Bars... your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:03 AM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Drag Bars... your thoughts?

Well, for now, this is just an idea I'm contemplating.

I really like the look of the drag bars, especially with the speedo relocated on the side.

For those who have done this, how is the comfort level with drag bars compared to stock bars? I still have mid-controls and a stock seat. Is there any difference with drag bars with mid-controls vs. drag bars with forwards? Does height play any role in comfort? Is there any noticeable difference with interstate riding between the stock bars and drag bars?

What exactly do you need to do with wiring when you get drag bars and with relocating the speedo? What kind of drag bars are available for the Nightster?

Finally, how much did all this run you guys? I have some mechanically inclined friends who would probably jump all over this project but I'm wondering how much the bars, wiring (?), speedo relocation parts, and beer payments will run me.

Thanks guys and gals!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Iron Dandee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's more comfy for me compared to stocks. the bike handles better in high speeds and my back doesnt hurt as much.

and it's a simple install, it'll take you about an hour.

I bought mine for around $100 from Elswick cycles, very good quality.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:28 AM
snacks63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hunched over all day or sitting up your choice drags are not comfortable at all

Old 03-03-2010, 09:53 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

You will get as many pro coments here as con, try putting a broom stick across your risers and sit on the bike and see how that feels, if you like it then for about a hundred bucks you can install a set and really try it. If you don't like it it only takes an hour to put it back.
Personally I love drags but would not recomend drags with forwards, mids are best and having a set of passenger pegs gives you a real comfortable position at speeds over 60 MPH. I can ride for hours like that comfortably.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:59 AM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior

Did you all need shorter cables to do the install?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Led Zeppelin
Tourer

I've rode bikes with drag bars on them and really didn't care for the feel. But everybody has their own preference.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey SuburbanMom ... drag bars are not more comfortable than stock, and HotLap is right about using mid controls is a better alternative with drags... with forward controls + drag bars your legs will be stretched more than normal, getting tired and sore much quicker... (specially if you are not a tall person)... but here is the deal... the only way to know is to install the drag bars and ride with them for a while... why?... once you install them during the first rides your shoulders/back will get sore and you are going to think that drag bars are not for you.... then you start to appreciate the better handling characteristics, you'll find a more comfortable riding position, your shoulders will not get sore anymore, and then one day you'll realize that you love drag bars.. I know this from experience.. if you look at the pics of my bike, it has rigid struts, a spring seat with no padding, and inverted handlebars, I did all these mods, and then when I got on the bike and rode it, I thought it was an "Iron Torture Machine" I couldn't even ride 30 miles without getting brutally sore ... but now I am so used to it I jump on it and ride without even thinking about it.. soo.. my recommendation is to install them, ride, be patient.... love them!!

PS: I am certain you don't need shorter cables...

Old 03-03-2010, 10:45 AM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior

joebotics,

I'm 5'9" with mid-controls. I think I tend to lean forward more than others when I ride, especially on the interstate at high speeds (or else I feel like a bobble head doll with the wind against my head).

I didn't know drag bars were so cheap. Hmm...

Ok, so what about the speedo relocation? What do I need for that?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:49 AM
09NightsterVB
Tourer

Nope, used all the factory wires. You will have about a foot too much clutch cable (cause it's too long anyway) and I just routed mine behind the headlight, and down the RIGHT side in the front, then back over to the primary. Sounds confusing, but if you just move it over to just in front of your rear brake pedal, it will fall into place. I weigh about 140lbs, and sitting up straight, with the stock bars, was very uncomfortable for me, because the wind just kept pushing me back. With the drag bars, i like it cause it seems like the forward lean does all the fighting for me, the wind just keeps me in place.

Harley DOES make shorter control cables, and in retrospect, I would have gone with them. You will have a good bit of extra throttle cable, and clutch cable if you put drag bars on, also you will have to reroute your front brake line or it will pinch. Took me about 20 minutes to do mine after I got them painted.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:54 AM
09NightsterVB
Tourer

For the Speedo location, it is Auto- Meter part number 3209. This is a shock strap mount, fits the 5" gauges, and is perfect right out of the box. Once you get your speedo out of it's little ring, I noticed that it is smaller in the middle, and it wasn't as snug as I wanted it to be in the new mount. FIX... ELECTRICAL TAPE. made about 15 wraps, thickened up the center of the speedo (it's white by the way) and now it ain't goin nowhere. The think the mount was around $15, maybe, plus like 5 for shipping. It was pretty easy to do, but you will have to tap the existing holes in the mount to 5/16 so it will fit on your gas tank bolt.

Quick Reply: Drag Bars... your thoughts?