Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulty fitting a National Cycle Plexifairing 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:46 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficulty fitting a National Cycle Plexifairing 3

I have an 08 1200C and I have just purchased a National Cycle Plexifairing 3 windscreen.

I attempted to fit this at the weekend. The difficulty I'm experiencing is with regard to the right hand side (throtle side) upper fitting.

Although the instructions are rather garbled to say the least with both very poor language and diagrams, I believe the clamp will need to be located behind the brake line quite close to where it leaves the brake fluid reservoir.

There is no give in the brake line at this point so presumably the brake line will need to be either loosened or removed to allow fitment and then tightened (replaced). Assuming (in my ignorance) that as soon as I loosen the brake line from the reservoir, brake fluid will be merrily leaking out everywhere, I've stepped back from the job for now.

Has anyone here fitted one of these and do they have any tips?

Alternatively, has anyone loosened the brake line at this point (perhaps for other reasons) and if so will brake fluid start leaking out and are there any tips in connection with this?

I'm sure these are dumb and obvious questions for the more experienced mechanics out there. But any constructive assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Julio13
Advanced

Can you send pics

Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 PM
will227457
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow someone actually buys those.....sorry no help with instalation....good luck

Old 04-12-2010, 03:41 PM
brofstie
Intermediate

Well, with the typical disclaimers and a statement that your results may vary...

I've had those on several Honda's I've owned and always liked them (easy on, easy off and nice to hide behind in nasty weather). The only one I have left I bought in 1984 so I don't know if the hardware has changed but the handlebar clamp does go between the bar and the brake line and needs about a 1/4 inch of clearance. Not a problem as the Honda has flexible brake lines.

On my Ultra it looks like there would be enough room between the bar and the line to mount the clamp similar to what is shown in the attached photo, but maybe your bars don't have the same rise to allow it.

I have had the brake lines off before and if you loosen it only enough to be able to move the banjo fitting a little, hardly any fluid will be lost. But, you may get some air in the line. If it's just a little it should float to the top and work it's way out through the master cylinder on it's own, if it's a lot, it may require bleeding the brakes.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Difficulty fitting a National Cycle Plexifairing 3-mount.jpg  
Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by will227457
wow someone actually buys those.....sorry no help with instalation....good luck
I think they would stop making them if people didnt.

Personally I hate the look of all winscreens and have been very reluctant to buy one at all.

However, whilst in my younger days I rode all year round in all weathers, including snow. Unfortunately, these days I cant handle it. In particular I cant stand the cold.

I have Raynauds which is a circulatory problem resulting in my hands going bleach white and numb in even mildly cold conditions. Therefore, if I want to be able to extend my riding season beyond the few months of (occassional) summer here, I need a screen which extends to cover the hands. This one seemed the best of the bunch I saw.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by brofstie
Well, with the typical disclaimers and a statement that your results may vary...

I've had those on several Honda's I've owned and always liked them (easy on, easy off and nice to hide behind in nasty weather). The only one I have left I bought in 1984 so I don't know if the hardware has changed but the handlebar clamp does go between the bar and the brake line and needs about a 1/4 inch of clearance. Not a problem as the Honda has flexible brake lines.

On my Ultra it looks like there would be enough room between the bar and the line to mount the clamp similar to what is shown in the attached photo, but maybe your bars don't have the same rise to allow it.

I have had the brake lines off before and if you loosen it only enough to be able to move the banjo fitting a little, hardly any fluid will be lost. But, you may get some air in the line. If it's just a little it should float to the top and work it's way out through the master cylinder on it's own, if it's a lot, it may require bleeding the brakes.

Good luck.

Many thanks for the extreemly constructive and helpfull reply. Its gratefully received and very useful.

I cant enlarge the thumbnail on the work PC so will check it out from home later.

The brake line on my Sportster is rigid for the first couple of inches or so and then flexible. I'm not sure there is much more than around 1/4 inch clearance as it is, but will check it later.

I will try gently loosening it in the manor you suggest. This had occured to me, but I didnt like to charge in and then have brake fluid spurting out all over the place uncontrolably. But equally I'm trying to overcome my natural mechanical ineptitude and learn to do as much work as I can myself, even if it starts with small jobs.

Thanks again for your help.